Why become a member? ×

A very rare Squier JV Series Precision on eBay

Ha! I could write pages, but instead I'll just stand by it.

I think if you're really trying to make a CV exactly as good as a JV, by the time you've upgraded the pots, pickup and junked the peel-o-matic chromeware for actual nickel plated then you've have been better off with a JV. And after all that, overall, the same or better when it comes to resale.

I've owned multiple JV's and played multiple CVs and have recommended the latter to several mates and they are very happy with them indeed.

[quote name='gareth' post='1047442' date='Dec 4 2010, 03:47 PM']the 62 reissue never had raised A string poles - it was only ever the 57 that had them[/quote]

That's also my understanding. I was putting it 'carefully' by citing mine, because you never know when anomalies can turn up. :)

Edited by KK Jale

[quote name='KK Jale' post='1047441' date='Dec 4 2010, 03:46 PM']I think if you're really trying to make a CV exactly as good as a JV, by the time you've upgraded the pots, pickup and junked the peel-o-matic chromeware for actual nickel plated then you've have been better off with a JV.[/quote]

I'm not saying that you are wrong about many JV basses being good basses (I've likewise owned several inc the original large Fender logo bass) but I agree with several on here that good as they are they can't justify almost 4 figure prices BUT as has also been said it's a case of supply and demand. If people are going to think that they are significantly better than equivalent Fender basses then unfortunately/fortunately prices will remain high.

Taking you up on the quote above; if you upgraded a CV as you've stated you would have a VERY good bass. However, to say that if you are going to do that you'd be better off buying a JV, you may be correct except for one small matter... where can I find a JV for £250! :)

It also annoys me GREATLY that it says "STUNNING 1983 JV series Fender [u][b]SQUIRE[/b][/u] Precision Bass" [b][u]twice[/u][/b] in the listing, despite the fact that it clearly reads "SQUIER" on the bass headstock... numpty alert!

Edited by skej21

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1047456' date='Dec 4 2010, 03:57 PM']You may be correct except for one small matter... where can I find a JV for £250! :)[/quote]

Good point... but note my hardware mention... let's say s/h CV P for £200, Wizard pickup for £50, good 'tronics w.pots & jack for £20, plus US nickel elephant ear tuners, US nickel bridge, I'm guessing here but say getting on £100... you've got an outlay of nearly £370, you'll lose £120+ on resale unless you part it and even then you'd struggle, but if you'd spent £490 in the first place you wouldn't lose a bean :)

I have vast experience in justifying GAS expenditure :lol:

[quote name='KK Jale' post='1047549' date='Dec 4 2010, 05:12 PM']Good point... but note my hardware mention... let's say s/h CV P for £200, Wizard pickup for £50, good 'tronics w.pots & jack for £20, plus US nickel elephant ear tuners, US nickel bridge, I'm guessing here but say getting on £100... you've got an outlay of nearly £370, you'll lose £120+ on resale unless you part it and even then you'd struggle, but if you'd spent £490 in the first place you wouldn't lose a bean :)

I have vast experience in justifying GAS expenditure :lol:[/quote]

Hmmm but my view is that you'd be buying a 'used' JV for a sum getting on towards a four figure sum (where can I get a good un for £490) and yet I've personally owned a CV Jazz with full EMG pups which I bought and sold for £200 (in fact I bought and sold it TWICE for those figures) and I've also very recently bought and sold a CV Precision which was upgraded with the very things that you quoted apart from the tuners being reverse geared Gotohs and all for less than £200! I agree with you that by and large the JV is 'likely' to be a better bass than the CV but at about x4 the price the JV looks a bit overpriced... all just one persons opinion though and doesn't stop me also having GAS. :)

Understood. :)

I definitely don't think a JV is worth four times as much as a sorted CV.

There are JV's still out there for ok money (I could have bought a '57 Strat for £500-ish just last month).

With the upgrades you mentioned, your CV J and P were killer deals.

Even as stock, I think they're damn good basses!

Edited by KK Jale

[quote name='gareth' post='1047596' date='Dec 4 2010, 05:56 PM']So what is a "reasonable" price for a jv squier bass?????????[/quote]

TBH it's a 27-28 year old Japanese copy of a Fender bass so theoretically it should be worth about 1/3 as much as an equivalent Fender from that period... lets say £700 - £800 for the Fender. If you can find a JV for less than £500 you are doing well and some folks will want you to pay in excess of £1000 (i.e. MORE than the real article), which in the cold light of day is silly. However, as has been stated it's a case of supply and demand; not too many being sold (wonder how many were produced and in what ration to the equivalent Fender product), loads of people wanting them, so prices are high.

Still wish I had one of mine but I'm not going to cry about it as I've owned and sold better basses and don't regret selling them, it's simply me being petulant because I could have still had an instrument worth x5-10 times what I paid for it! :)

[quote name='gareth' post='1047646' date='Dec 4 2010, 06:49 PM']I make a 1/3rd of £700 - £800 less than £500 :)[/quote]

That's what I was getting at; the JV's 'should' be worth about 1/3 of a Fender but you try finding one for less than £500!

As to where I get the 1/3 figure from, that is based upon their respective new values (I know they weren't exactly a 1/3rd of the price) and what any other similar manufacturers instruments are worth from that period... actually saying that if you look at the value of similar budget instruments from that period that are probably of as good a build quality the JV still far outstrips the competition in rising values.

what are they worth? depends how good they are. I think I bought mine off here for around £600 or so. A fair bit- but it was a bass I had wanted for a long time so I could justify it. And in terms of quality and sound it's untouchable by any P bass I've played.

But then not all JV series will be as good so it depends. In the past year or so the price does seem to have shot up though.
(My tip, look for a SQ... or actually anything made by fender japan since 1982!!!)

But then the price of an instrument isn't always related to it's worth. I thought £600 was a lot to pay- but my one is exceptional. There is a 1974 Fender jazz in a local shop for almost 2 grand with a gap in the neck pocket you could store your keys in.... worth as much?

I bet this one will go the price I originally estimated, put it this way in the last 24 hours has gone from £205 to £411, there's still 7 days to go, any more bets as to how much it will finally go for? I estimated £650-£750 but at this rate who knows how crazy it will end! I am not bidding because I think £450-£500 is the max I would pay for it.

A comment about them being 'Very Rare'.... everytime i have ever thought to look for one for sale, i have never had a problem. Just another P Bass that extreme hearsay has made them collectors/high earners instruments only

[quote name='Kev' post='1048670' date='Dec 5 2010, 08:20 PM']A comment about them being 'Very Rare'.... everytime i have ever thought to look for one for sale, i have never had a problem. Just another P Bass that extreme hearsay has made them collectors/high earners instruments only[/quote]

i got a better P bass than Fender USA for about the same as a current MIJ. I'm not complaining.

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='1048686' date='Dec 5 2010, 08:30 PM']i got a better P bass than Fender USA for about the same as a current MIJ. I'm not complaining.[/quote]
Define better?

Don't get me wrong, i have never tried one and have no basis to comment on playability/sound etc, but i am fairly sure there will be several modern USA fender precisions that will beat it hands down. Of course there is quality control to worry about, but of course everyone should play the bass before purchasing anyway so that wouldn't be an issue.

Crikey £560 at the moment. It's got to stop soon or it'll reach a grand. I am off on holiday for a week tomorrow, and I have just got back home from storing all my basses, amps and other valuebles at my son's house, but I am dying to find out what that bass will fetch, when it's finished someone, please report the final price it got on here so when I get back I can find out. I am off to a ski resort in Italy and I am not sure if broadband will be available on the slopes :)

tara.

[quote name='Kev' post='1048711' date='Dec 5 2010, 08:46 PM']Define better?

Don't get me wrong, i have never tried one and have no basis to comment on playability/sound etc, but i am fairly sure there will be several modern USA fender precisions that will beat it hands down. Of course there is quality control to worry about, but of course everyone should play the bass before purchasing anyway so that wouldn't be an issue.[/quote]

finish and construction are top notch. The tuners arn't as good as the ones on my USA FSR Jazz. The neck is amazing, everything is just really well finished.
So on finish, feel and construction compared to other basses I've played and what's in my local guitarguitar it is as good or better than the USA fenders and metro sadowskys. The USA sadowsky and the valenti I had for a while was better. Compared to a American vinitage RI 1957 P bass it's close, better tuners and a nitro finish on the USA, but nicer neck and I prefer the body radiusing on the JV.
Soundwise is more subjective but my JV has nice crisp highs and thuddy middy lows. The USA vintage RI 1957 I tired sounded more modern with harsher top end. That could be 100% down to the strings.
Overall, my JV cost me less than anything I was comparing it too so I was happy.

I should add here mine is an early one with the large fender logo so the later ones will be slightly different. Mine is a very good one, i doubt they all are.
If I was buying a P bass now would I buy a JV?? maybe if I could find a good one for less than £600 (mine is pristine) otherwise go buy a current Jap fender or the american vintage reissue.
I saw a similar large fender logo '57 ri go for £1200 last month. I bought a valenti jazz on here for £650 odd. I know what is the better deal there!

I do think this is slightly mad. I recently bought a MIJ Fender Power Jazz Special, which the serial number tells me was made in Fuji gen factory in '84-85, for £410 posted. It is in fantastic nick, came with a good quality hard case and has been upgraded with Seymour Duncans. Why should that be worth less than this Squier? Admittedly it was from fellow Basschatter geddys nose but still it makes you wonder.

[quote name='Paul S' post='1048988' date='Dec 6 2010, 07:47 AM']I do think this is slightly mad. I recently bought a MIJ Fender Power Jazz Special, which the serial number tells me was made in Fuji gen factory in '84-85, for £410 posted. It is in fantastic nick, came with a good quality hard case and has been upgraded with Seymour Duncans. Why should that be worth less than this Squier? Admittedly it was from fellow Basschatter geddys nose but still it makes you wonder.[/quote]
eBay is a crazy place. Many things go for way more than they should. Just look at the prices netbooks go for over there - some of them are actually higher than brand new ones. I would say it is somewhat the same with these.

[quote name='Paul S' post='1048988' date='Dec 6 2010, 07:47 AM']I do think this is slightly mad. I recently bought a MIJ Fender Power Jazz Special, which the serial number tells me was made in Fuji gen factory in '84-85, for £410 posted. It is in fantastic nick, came with a good quality hard case and has been upgraded with Seymour Duncans. Why should that be worth less than this Squier? Admittedly it was from fellow Basschatter geddys nose but still it makes you wonder.[/quote]

because 80's white basses will almost always be outsold by anything vintage looking? but I get your point, given the choice I would have got the same one you did.