Why become a member? ×

A very rare Squier JV Series Precision on eBay

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1046188' date='Dec 3 2010, 11:54 AM']Let's have a bet, shall we? How much do y'all reckon it will sell for? I'd give it a wild guess something in the region of £650 to £750, could be more if they go crazy, after all there's 9 days left.[/quote]

Thats a good figure to choose, not sure it'll make quite that this time of year, so i'll guess £550-£650.

Lovely bass, there is a Jazz on eBay at the moment too:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1984-Vintage-Fender-Squier-JV-Jazz-Bass-/230556461432?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item35ae3c6978"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1984-Vintage-Fender-...=item35ae3c6978[/url]

I don't understand this listing. Listing title says "STUNNING 1983 JL series..." but then further down in the listing it says "1986 JV series Fender Precision Bass" then further on from that, we're back to "The neck date is June 1983, the body date is also 1983 and the serial number is JV54693"... When I looked the serial number up online I got this "Guitar Info - Guitar was made at the Fuji-gen Plant (for Fender Japan), Japan in the Year(s): 1984 - 1987"

Am I missing something or do the dates not add up? 1983, 1986, 1984-1987... which is it?!

I'm actually REALLY interested in this bass because it could be my birth year bass, but want to be sure before acting!

[quote name='skej21' post='1046945' date='Dec 3 2010, 11:24 PM']I don't understand this listing. Listing title says "STUNNING 1983 JL series..." but then further down in the listing it says "1986 JV series Fender Precision Bass" then further on from that, we're back to "The neck date is June 1983, the body date is also 1983 and the serial number is JV54693"... When I looked the serial number up online I got this "Guitar Info - Guitar was made at the Fuji-gen Plant (for Fender Japan), Japan in the Year(s): 1984 - 1987"

Am I missing something or do the dates not add up? 1983, 1986, 1984-1987... which is it?!

I'm actually REALLY interested in this bass because it could be my birth year bass, but want to be sure before acting![/quote]

Now that's what I call covering your backside in case the buyer complains to eBay/paypal... "but I said it was 198(insert final digit here)"! :)

[quote name='skej21' post='1046945' date='Dec 3 2010, 11:24 PM']I don't understand this listing. Listing title says "STUNNING 1983 JL series..." but then further down in the listing it says "1986 JV series Fender Precision Bass" then further on from that, we're back to "The neck date is June 1983, the body date is also 1983 and the serial number is JV54693"... When I looked the serial number up online I got this "Guitar Info - Guitar was made at the Fuji-gen Plant (for Fender Japan), Japan in the Year(s): 1984 - 1987"

I'm actually REALLY interested in this bass because it could be my birth year bass, but want to be sure before acting![/quote]

if it is what he says it is it's mid 83, june, july august sometime.

21frets is your friend... the thing that i would find strange... look at the precision bass details page..
[url="http://www.21frets.com/squier_jv/jvprecisionbass.htm"]http://www.21frets.com/squier_jv/jvprecisionbass.htm[/url]

the last picture, of the way the neck is constructed. then look at this one. ?

if this is "very rare" what is mine?

also either non original pick ups - or it's domestic.... no raised pole pieces on the A string.

But the tuners are the ones you would expect on a export one, not to say they wouldn't use them on both at some point (or some models???)
The whole thing looks a bit odd to me, very nice and unused looking case, someone who knows what they are selling and have made sure they have all the right photos to 'prove' it is a JV... but not thaken the pups out, not shown us the stamp on the underside of the neck... and being older my JV looks different. The neck has gone a golden tone, this looks a lot more white-mapley and also the tuners and strap button on mine dont have any of that uniform grey tarnishing.. maybe they've been used less/more. I would also be interested to compare the radius edges of the body, mine is very curvey. this looks a bit more square

[quote name='daz' post='1047192' date='Dec 4 2010, 11:10 AM']Tis weird the things people will pay premium for! I would not say it was worth more than a[i] new classsic vibe P bass[/i], and nor would i pay more for one.[/quote]

I've got to admit how right you are, my Classic Vibe P is in a class of it's own, the neck is perfect, the body weight and resonance are spot on, the neck pocket is a way better fit than that I have seen on more expensive Mexican jobbies, the only things that were bad with the Classic Vibe was everything under the pickguard, cheap connecting wires, pots, jack socket, and the pickup too, so I have put a Lollar in it, and regutted all the wires and pots with original CST american Fender ones, and waxed cloth cables, but the result is that this bass has now the right voice and plays much much better than you'd expect for a relatively cheap bass.

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='1047126' date='Dec 4 2010, 09:59 AM']also either non original pick ups - or it's domestic.... no raised pole pieces on the A string.[/quote]

Not sure about that. I've got two 1982 Squier export JV P's... the '57 has raised A string poles, the '62 doesn't.

[quote name='daz' post='1047192' date='Dec 4 2010, 11:10 AM']Tis weird the things people will pay premium for! I would not say it was worth more than a[i] new classsic vibe P bass[/i], and nor would i pay more for one.[/quote]

With all due respect to the CV's, they are not as good. Not even nearly.