Why become a member? ×

Hanging bass's off a wall

iconic

I want to hang them on my dining room/office wall, nice bit of artwork and saves some floorspace too.

I have seen these and I'm sure these are used in guitar shops...Hercules one that as you lower the bss into the holder it self locks....any other ideas welcome

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hercules-GSP39WB-Guitar-Wall-Hanger-Auto-Grab-Bracket-/250687208569?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3a5e1f3c79"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hercules-GSP39WB-Gui...=item3a5e1f3c79[/url]

Edited by iconic

[quote name='iconic' post='1037337' date='Nov 26 2010, 07:51 AM']I want to hang them on my dining room/office wall, nice bit of artwork and saves some floorspace too.

I have seen these and I'm sure these are used in guitar shops...Hercules one that as you lower the bss into the holder it self locks....any other ideas welcome

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hercules-GSP39WB-Guitar-Wall-Hanger-Auto-Grab-Bracket-/250687208569?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3a5e1f3c79"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hercules-GSP39WB-Gui...=item3a5e1f3c79[/url][/quote]
I use 5 of them in mu music room, no issues, I just use bigger screws than are provided with it. I was scared sh*tless of using them, but loads of people on here have had them for a while with no issues.

[quote name='farmer61' post='1037358' date='Nov 26 2010, 08:25 AM']I use 5 of them in mu music room, no issues, I just use bigger screws than are provided with it. I was scared sh*tless of using them, but loads of people on here have had them for a while with no issues.[/quote]

I am a carpenter by trade and we recently did an extension which was a music room for a client, finals included hanging brackets for expensive gibsons and fenders

I made sure the fixings where all more than adequate, and refused to use any plasterboard fixings, ie either into timber stub or masonry only, basically so if a kid pulls a guitar the bracket would go before the fixing

Use them at home also, though not the hurcules ones, which seem safer

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='1037437' date='Nov 26 2010, 09:29 AM']Looking at the OP's sig it shouldn't be a problem at the moment for him, but word of warning, do not use any of these with instruments with a nitro cellulose finish as they react badly with each other (and the nito cellulose comes off worst)![/quote]

Hercules are fine on Nitro; String Swing and Stagg ones are not.

I tried to put one of these up, messed it up quite badly, and in a fit of rage hammered a lump out of the wall, then took said item outside, and smashed it to bits with the hammer.

Did I feel better - yes, even when I was having to fill the hole in the wall a few wks later.

I`ve found that stands suit my temperamnet far better!

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1037635' date='Nov 26 2010, 12:07 PM']I tried to put one of these up, messed it up quite badly, and in a fit of rage hammered a lump out of the wall, then took said item outside, and smashed it to bits with the hammer.

Did I feel better - yes, even when I was having to fill the hole in the wall a few wks later.

I`ve found that stands suit my temperamnet far better![/quote]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78b67l_yxUc&feature=channel"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78b67l_yxUc...feature=channel[/url]

Most of us have done this in some form or other
-

Most of the fixings i've seen supplied with these items I would bin for better

Edited by lojo

I've had up to 3 in a spare room used for practice. Nothing wrong with the brackets themselves but make sure it is a decent surface they are being attached to as has been mentioned already. Unfortunately The wall I had to put them on is some cheapo plasterboard job and even using proper platerboard fixers one was coming loose after a couple of months. That had to be removed and I've noticed another one is now coming away on one or two of the screws. The one that is into a solid bit where there is part of a wood frame behind it that the plasterboard has been attached to is fine.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='1037612' date='Nov 26 2010, 11:53 AM']Hercules are fine on Nitro; String Swing and Stagg ones are not.[/quote]

Have they changed the rubber - I managed to damage a 52 Tele in one of their floor stands about 5 years back (another one with the Satatus that the hangers are useless for)!

I've not used these ones, but other standard wall hangers and have had no issues.

As already said, make sure you fix them to something structural like a masonry wall if you can. If the wall you want to fix them to is a stud wall with plasterboard then find out where the studs are (they are usually spaced at max 600mm) and first screw a nice bit of timber (at least 12mm thick) to the wall to at least 2 of the studs, then screw the brackets to the timber.

I have three in my office but they were attached by my sister's boyfriend who's a professional chippy - so there's a solid metal bolt that he added on each one and some very strong glue too - so they, and my basses, aren't going anywhere :) - but there's no way I could have done such a good job... if in doubt get someone who knows what they are doing to attach them - better that than having your beloved bass crash down from four or five feet above the floor!