Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

TC Electronic RH450 - any negatives?

matski

I've seen lots of love for the TC Electronic RH450 and it's corresponding cabs here on BC, but then have also seen that a few people have bought them and consequently sold them on after quite a short period of time.

Which leads me to ask why?

Who on here has NOT got on with the RH450, and why was it not doing it for you?

I'm not looking to start a thread of negativity here by the way (the sponsors up there ^ won't be too thrilled) - just looking for a more balanced view of this product. :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1035924' date='Nov 25 2010, 09:26 AM']If you like very crisp and super pingy top end (Marcus Miller slap tone) the RH450 isnt suitable.[/quote]
Agreed, fortunately I don't like that tone! I see teh TC 450 (I have the Classic version, without presets) as an 'old school' sounding amp. With the Tubetone engaged, it sounds very like my old Mesa Walkabout.

I am selling as I don't really need a backup amp although I have also offered a trade against an Orange Terror Bass given lack of cash among the BC buying public and the fact I think the Terror Bass is much more simple and an ideal plug-n-play for my punk gigs

Hi Matski

Well - I'm one of them :) - I ended up with the TC Staccato 51 instead

My short review of RH450

Build in compressor - BRILLIANT - and the best compressor I've ever used
Tubetone - BRILLIANT - It wil go from clean sound through "Ampeg-Sound" all the way to "my speakers is just about to blow-sound"
Build in tuner - BRILLIANT - super fast and accurate
Presets - BRILLIANT
Parametric - EQ - BRILLIANT - However ....(read on)
Power : TC claims 450W/800W Peak. My previous amp was Markbass SD800 - claimed 750W ... The RH450 is LOUDER
Weight and Size - BRILLIANT
The possibility to use the Amp with 3 TC cabs - BRILLIANT - You can have a single 112 for rehearsing all the way to 3 x 410 cabs !!!

Then what is there NOT to like...

Well - the tone is old-school... I actually think that this amp has more personality in the tone than most others. The single thing that made it a no-go for me is the low pass filter. The excact frequency it kiks in is a little unclear - Some say 5.000 HZ - others say 6.300 HZ... However - regardless- the result is clear. If you are looking for high frequency sizzle - Marcus Miller'ish tone - or for that matter a Mark King'ish tone - you simply won't find it - regardles how much you dial on the knobs. And regardless what you put in front to boos the high-end treble - it will not matter. The frequencies are simply CUT somewhere in the amp.

However - if you prefer a more old-school sound - it is perfect

The Staccato 51 is to my undestanding identical to the RH450 when it comes to hardware (apart from the colour of the cabinet). The deafault tone has a lot more low end and some extra high end as well. THIS is not for me and I find myself turning th e bassknob and the treble down a lot on the S51. BUT - the S51 do not have the low pass filter, so the higher frequencies are THERE - and that is what I wanted.

The Parametric EQ is also quite different - primarily on the treble control. The RH450 has default @ 1600 HZ - and if you turn it all the way up it works @ 6300 hz... The S51 has default @ 6300 HZ and if you turn it up it works @ 10.000 HZ .. This makes the treble control quite different, - but in my view it IS treble on the S51 , where the treble on the RH450 (at least at default Para setting) is more like a rather high mid-control..

Well in short - if you like an Old-School sound - go for the RH450, but if you prefer a more modern sound - you'll propably prefer the Staccato 51

IMO - If "they" removed the Lowpass filter from the RH450 (or made it user selectable) and widened the range of the parametric EQ on the treble-knob the RH450 would be perfect.

Hope this helps - sorry for my spelling

[quote name='crez5150' post='1036091' date='Nov 25 2010, 11:26 AM']Indeed.... he used TC Electronic RH450 bass amp as well as two RS410 cabinets[/quote]

Bloomin heck....not the choice id expect.

If you want the more thumpy vintage meets modern funk tone, this amp has that tone for sure.

Personally, the whole super pingy 80s slap tone sounds like nails down a blackboard, so the amp works for me.

It definitely works excellently with a Musicman bass.

[quote name='Floyd Pepper' post='1036083' date='Nov 25 2010, 12:22 PM']Didn't Mark King use TC on his last tour?[/quote]

Yes I have heard that as well, but I suspect this would work good with the line out set at PRE -EQ ... Then the soundguy have the output from the Bass efter effects to make the sound right through the PA .... No doubt the output from the Amp is very far from what the Mark King sound usually is.

[quote name='matski' post='1035878' date='Nov 25 2010, 08:25 AM']I've seen lots of love for the TC Electronic RH450 and it's corresponding cabs here on BC, but then have also seen that a few people have bought them and consequently sold them on after quite a short period of time.

Which leads me to ask why?[/quote]

Don't worry about it, let your ears decide. There are strong trends in buying and selling on here. When I first came onto the old site, Laklands were what EVERYONE wanted, and they were talked about in such reverential tones that, having been a Fenderhead all of my life, I thought I must be missing something major. I was about to buy a Duck Dunn when, all of a sudden all the guys who had raved about Laklands started selling them, which gave me pause for thought and I realised the Lakland thing was a phase, no more. There's a strong herd mentality on here, so it only takes a few people to sell and others start thinking "sh*t, perhaps it isn't as good as I thought if all these other guys are selling there's, I'd better sell it" followed by "Oh crap, there's so many on sale the prices are dropping, I'd better sell mine really quick before they drop even further". From what I've heard the TCs are outstanding so I'd not worry about the relatively high amount for sale

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='1036392' date='Nov 25 2010, 02:24 PM']Don't worry about it, let your ears decide. There are strong trends in buying and selling on here. When I first came onto the old site, Laklands were what EVERYONE wanted, and they were talked about in such reverential tones that, having been a Fenderhead all of my life, I thought I must be missing something major. I was about to buy a Duck Dunn when, all of a sudden all the guys who had raved about Laklands started selling them, which gave me pause for thought and I realised the Lakland thing was a phase, no more. There's a strong herd mentality on here, so it only takes a few people to sell and others start thinking "sh*t, perhaps it isn't as good as I thought if all these other guys are selling there's, I'd better sell it" followed by "Oh crap, there's so many on sale the prices are dropping, I'd better sell mine really quick before they drop even further". From what I've heard the TCs are outstanding so I'd not worry about the relatively high amount for sale

C[/quote]
[attachment=64926:yoda_ep2.jpg]

Words wise are these

[quote name='Beedster' post='1036392' date='Nov 25 2010, 02:24 PM']Don't worry about it, let your ears decide. There are strong trends in buying and selling on here. When I first came onto the old site, Laklands were what EVERYONE wanted, and they were talked about in such reverential tones that, having been a Fenderhead all of my life, I thought I must be missing something major. I was about to buy a Duck Dunn when, all of a sudden all the guys who had raved about Laklands started selling them, which gave me pause for thought and I realised the Lakland thing was a phase, no more. There's a strong herd mentality on here, so it only takes a few people to sell and others start thinking "sh*t, perhaps it isn't as good as I thought if all these other guys are selling there's, I'd better sell it" followed by "Oh crap, there's so many on sale the prices are dropping, I'd better sell mine really quick before they drop even further". From what I've heard the TCs are outstanding so I'd not worry about the relatively high amount for sale

C[/quote]

Yep, very wise words.

Yogi Chris knows.
[attachment=64928:yogi_chris.jpg]

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1036574' date='Nov 25 2010, 04:42 PM']To be fair you wouldn't expect a modern sound out of something marketed as a "classic amp".[/quote]

Depends what signal you're putting into it I guess Wayne. Guys who own amps labelled 'classic' tend to put 'classic' signals into them (i.e., passive, un-enhanced, or at least, enhanced to sound more classic). I've made plenty a classic amp sound pretty contemporary by sticking a Modulus Flea through a Aphex Enhancer or similar into it. Still sounded crap 'cos it was me who was playing it, but you know what I mean :)

C

All I can do is re-inforce what everyone else has said. You will not get high end 'sizzle' or that ultra hi-fi slap tone from the RH450, but for everything else it excels. I love my RH450, and use the Classic as a power amp to give even more 'controlled' power (i.e. I don't have to turn either amp up as much when linked to get the gig volume I like). I have kept my two Markbass amps as these can do what the RH450 doesn't, but I must say they stay at home - but I know if I ever got rid of them I would want to use them again!!!!

The other great thing about the RH450 is having three pre-sets. I initially thought this would be good to switch sounds or for switching basses, but the fact is I rarely do this at gigs. How this works for me is that I have found three eq settings that work with my 'go to' bass in different types of venue: Larger Venue; Small/Medium Venue; Venue with very 'boomy' sound charateristics (e.g. large wooden stage). This has made set up for me very easy and consistent.

As Beedster says, use your ears. If you like the sound buy one, if not look elsewhere.

I owned a TC450 for a short time. Personally I didn't find the sound that I was looking for - and I don't go for sizzle I go for vintage. It was in good company as there are loads of other things I've tried that I decided weren't quite 'the one' either. Markbass F500 for instance. Both good amps.

Must confess though that I'm sure there is a bit of snake oil in evaluating amps for me. If it looks like it's gonna get warm then it's probably gonna get me the sound I want. The Class D stuff (especially something without a single tube) has to try a bit harder if you know what I mean.

Lovely set of features in one package all the same. I ended up looking at higher-end channel strips instead but if I was on a strict budget I could make a TC450 work for sure (although I'd probably choose an Ashdown or something).

However there are video clips of the TC450 where it sounds excellent.

[quote name='Raggy' post='1036442' date='Nov 25 2010, 03:02 PM']Yep, very wise words.

Yogi Chris knows.
[attachment=64928:yogi_chris.jpg][/quote]

LOL, missed that yesterday! Gotta be the ugliest thing ever posted on BC (apart from that 'custom' bass for sale in Canterbury at present anyway)

C

[quote name='Clarky' post='1035932' date='Nov 25 2010, 09:31 AM']Agreed, fortunately I don't like that tone! I see teh TC 450 (I have the Classic version, without presets) as an 'old school' sounding amp. With the Tubetone engaged, it sounds very like my old Mesa Walkabout.

I am selling as I don't really need a backup amp although I have also offered a trade against an Orange Terror Bass given lack of cash among the BC buying public and the fact I think the Terror Bass is much more simple and an ideal plug-n-play for my punk gigs[/quote]

If you dont like the tone of the classic450 then your not going to like the OTB, it's voiced pretty simar, there isn't alot of high end an it's very low-mid and low heavy.

Be better off with trying to get a LMIII, very warm sounding amp with more high end on tap, and a more comprehensive EQ section. Lighter aswell.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1035924' date='Nov 25 2010, 09:26 AM']If you like very crisp and super pingy top end (Marcus Miller slap tone) the RH450 isnt suitable.

Its more lo-mid focussed. There is PLENTY of definition and treble for me.[/quote]

I agree with ma man here. The low mids are more focussed and I couldn't quite get the depth of low end I like too - which could be to do with the rest of my signal chain interacting with the amp. - So personal taste there. I wonder if the Stacatto 51 would have been a better choice!

Still an amazing head though.

I had several light amps for test Mark Bass, Genz Benz, Promethean and I like RH450 the best . I have to say I don't looking for old school sound...well I like to have some good backup amp or just light amp for some situations but all ultra lite amps sounds "flat" for me (not that 3D think in sound). There is less dynamics than on amps non digital amps with transformer...maybe one day

Slightly off topic, but in a room last night with supplied backline, trace rig, but I brought my RH450 as I was trying out some settings, anyway RH450 DI into Trace combo, what a sound

I did not mess with the EQ on the trace and took no notice of it, but i was really taken by the sound it produced for every setting I had the RH put through it, the trace just did something extra

Not sure if it was the trace amp or drivers

Strange as ive never been a straight trace guy