Why become a member? ×

Sold.

Raslee

It is with much great sadness that i have to let this baby go but financial issues are on the horizon so there we go...i won't bore you with the details - out of my four basses i've whittled it down to this one to go yet its probably my favourite but not the most practical for my bands sounds & needs :) .

For Sale:
Well, it is essentially a Pre Ernie Ball Musicman 79 ray 2EQ, the electrics are not all original though but as good as, if not better - please read on !

The pick ups have been replaced at some point for a Norstrand but it is a Pre EB equivelent, the MM 4.2 - [b][url="http://www.nordstrandpickups.com/bass-pickups/modern/"]More info here.[/url][/b]

The Pre amp has also been replaced to a Pre EB equivelent using the John East BTB MMSR - [b][url="http://www.bestbassgear.com/mmsr-v-b-t-preamp.htm"]More info here[/url][/b]

I have no idea what happened to the original pick ups as the bass was fitted with these when i got it about a year ago, having played it against another 78 Pre EB there was no audible difference in sound that either me or my mate could here....mine actually was the nicer bass to play, no buzzes, good frets etc.

The body has been refinsihed to a nice maroon colour, i don't know if this was the original colour but it looks very nice. It's a real players bass and is 31 years old so it has dings, scratches, "mojo" etc but nothing that affects playability issues. It has the pure Pre EB sound with the classic musicman zing but with an added warmth that perhaps comes with age, suybjective. Mutes are missing but who really uses them anyway? Plays lovely and has a great character too, neck is sexy (couldn't think of a better word). Currently fitted with flatwounds for that true Bernard Edwards sound....god i will proper miss this bass - if i get a decent scratch card in the next several days i will be most definatelty withdrawing!!!

I shall get pictures up soon when i can find our camera which seems to have gone on vacation, however i can send by request pictures via my Iphone, however the quality is not particularly great with the phone camera. Attached is a few very cheesey pictures i've got on my mac right now so you can at least see what it looks like until i find this elusive camera.

Money wise looking for [s]£900[/s] £850, that'll include postage too - no hard case but got a soft case and a legend packer - the wife, Bass will be sent insured of course. Or you are most welcome to try it and have a cup of tea if you fancy a day trip out to not so sunny Plymouth.
[i][b]Scroll down for further pictures[/b][/i]
[b]Newly added: May consider trade plus cash my way for a lightweight neo cab 400W ish i.e.Bareface, TC, Markbass etc [/b]

Edited by Rasta

[quote name='richardd' post='1030393' date='Nov 20 2010, 01:25 PM']:) They are both Gorgeious Lee,now I have seen her I will excuse her the chip on the jazz,that is a really cool looking bass,good luck with your sale,Rich :) :lol: :D Extra smilies for the Baby[/quote]
Cheers Rich, yeah gutted i've got to depart with a bass but it happens.

I agree thats a fair price and a pre EB that you can play without worrying too much about the odd ding. :)

The mutes are easy enough to make see mine here [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=101460&hl=mutes"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...60&hl=mutes[/url]

Its a shame the thumb turns have gone astray as they will be the hardest thing to find although new ones from a classic Ray should fit (If EBMM will sell a set?) but have a smaller diameter.

Looks real good though, I even like the retro radio knobs and the pup looks fine either way. A picky bugger could just spank a replacement EB 2 band EQ its identicle anyway and sell the J-east but I hear good things about them.

Thats good to know Lapolpora, AFAIK the only difference is the thumb screws have a slightly larger diameter but the threads are the same so they would fit and finish the look off well for £25 (I would be tempted to get them at that price to help the sale) Comparing what V&R want even for a refin this becomes very nice indeed!

Have a tempting myself now bump!

Bump for new pics & will take £850 posted but thats the best i'll do!!! The Hipshot D-tuner is also added in the sale aswell as the original 1979 tuner. Having checked the cavity etc it seems that Maroon was the original colour therefore i beleive it has been restored to its original colour but i cannot be 100%.

More pictures available on request

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1032793' date='Nov 22 2010, 04:05 PM']I cant beleive its not gone yet Rasta, I really fancy this as a project but so close to Xmas and stuff might be tricky for me.

Have a bump anyway.[/quote]
Yeah i guess pre Xmas is not the best time to sell, on the positive side though i suppose it means i get to keep it longer :) - a damn good bargain though for anyone looking for a Stingray......you would never lose money on this...only ever gain, and it plays sweet.

Still up for grabs.

• 4 weeks later...

Why didnt you mention the enormous hole underneath the pickguard.. The square hole seems to be cut out with a hamer and a screwdriver.. almost as huge as the pickguard itselve and more than a centimeter deep. The neck is good though.

A stingray neck for 850£ anyone ? Comes with a piece of trash wood attached to it..

[quote name='leloupa' post='1060576' date='Dec 16 2010, 02:02 PM']Why didnt you mention the enormous hole underneath the pickguard.. The square hole seems to be cut out with a hamer and a screwdriver.. almost as huge as the pickguard itselve and more than a centimeter deep. The neck is good though.

A stingray neck for 850£ anyone ? Comes with a piece of trash wood attached to it..[/quote]

OMG!!... :)

[quote name='leloupa' post='1060576' date='Dec 16 2010, 02:02 PM']Why didnt you mention the enormous hole underneath the pickguard.. The square hole seems to be cut out with a hamer and a screwdriver.. almost as huge as the pickguard itselve and more than a centimeter deep. The neck is good though.

A stingray neck for 850£ anyone ? Comes with a piece of trash wood attached to it..[/quote]

Oh heck....I hope you can resolve this. :)

Hi there, really sorry to hear about this. I had no idea that there was a hole under the pickguard as i have never had the pickguard off, that is the truth. I'm really surprised as that was never mentioned when i bought it from another Basschatter over a year ago. Do you have any pictures?
What would you wish to do?

The whole thing behind this happening is to warn everybody that when you plan to buy a used vintage instrument, check it carefully..
Pictures of the instrument without pick guard or with an opened electronics department can tell you very much allready.
Offcourse the best thing to do is hear it, feel it, play it and check out yourself.

Dont know who made the damage, but the person who did so and didnt tell the next owner when selling the instrument is a big cheater and asshole.

I didnt pay too much, the bass has the musicman 'thing' going on and i'll get her restorated. Problem solved.