Why become a member? ×

Could do with a bit of advice

Perry

I sold an Ashdown 2X10 Combo MAG on eBay and posted it to Ireland.

It took slightly longer thean expected. I took it to the depot on Saturday, it arrived today (Thursday).

The guy rang me to say that the head section has broken away from the main cab section and obviously it doesn't work.

I rang the courier straight away who tell me it shows on there system that it's not delivered yet.

Anyway, they said that I am insured and they will send me out a claims form as it was insured.

I have refunded the guy in Ireland.

Now I have to wait for the form and proceed with claiming.

Has anyone got advice for me to ensure it goes smoothly.

Did the other guy (the buyer) sign anything on receipt of the amp? If so, that's his word to say the item arrived in A1 condition.
I always ask any buyers to open and inspect the goods while the driver is there... they ARE obligated to wait for you to assess any damage.
It's the buyer who should claim for damages, not you. Maybe too quick to refund and you might find yourself out of pocket on this.
Ask the buyer to return the amp to you after he has taken some photographs of the damage caused.
Hopefully the couriers company will accept blame on your word and it will be smooth. However, they will be under pressure from their insurance company to go by the book which means if the parcel was signed as being in top condition then there's not alot you can do about it.

Hi Perry

The most important thing is to take photos of the smashed amp and send them in with the claim. Also if you can get photos of the carton to ascertain if there was any obvious external damage. I would ask the guy in Ireland if he can put it in a corner and keep it for a while, the insurance company may want to take a look, and there is always the chance it could be further damaged on the way back, then you have a fight on your hands over who damaged what.

The courier company will almost certainly have a seven day limit on the time you can claim, so of course it needs to be sooner rather than later.

Was it insured??. If not the courier company will have a claim limit somewhere in it's terms and conditions which might mean you can't get the full value.

Best of Luck

Steve

[quote name='tombboy' post='117747' date='Jan 10 2008, 12:26 PM']Did the other guy (the buyer) sign anything on receipt of the amp? If so, that's his word to say the item arrived in A1 condition.
I always ask any buyers to open and inspect the goods while the driver is there... they ARE obligated to wait for you to assess any damage.
It's the buyer who should claim for damages, not you. Maybe too quick to refund and you might find yourself out of pocket on this.
Ask the buyer to return the amp to you after he has taken some photographs of the damage caused.
Hopefully the couriers company will accept blame on your word and it will be smooth. However, they will be under pressure from their insurance company to go by the book which means if the parcel was signed as being in top condition then there's not alot you can do about it.[/quote]

My experience on lost or damaged items is that the sender is person who paid for shipping and therefore has a contract with the shipping company. They usually won't even entertain a claim request from the receiver.

[quote name='bassbloke' post='117790' date='Jan 10 2008, 01:09 PM']My experience on lost or damaged items is that the sender is person who paid for shipping and therefore has a contract with the shipping company. They usually won't even entertain a claim request from the receiver.[/quote]
I know what you're saying but the sender usually arranges the transport. 99.9% of the time on ebay its the buyer who has paid for it. bit of a chicken & egg thingy!! :)

I knoiw this is of little help, so apologies for posting it, but I suspect you've been a little quick to reimburse the guy. I think ebay suggest reimbursement should only be made if the goods are returned to you as they were delivered, which with such an item, is a system that is easily abused (no one is going to want to pay an expensive international courier fee for a broken and useless amp). That is, it is a loophole that is easily exploited by a dodgy buyer - the amp might be undamaged and the buyer now has an amp and the cash? You have acted in good faith so I hope the above is not the case
Chris

[quote name='tombboy' post='117819' date='Jan 10 2008, 01:39 PM']I know what you're saying but the sender usually arranges the transport. 99.9% of the time on ebay its the buyer who has paid for it. bit of a chicken & egg thingy!! :)[/quote]

The buyer pays the seller who pays the transport company - so the sender has the shipping contract.

[quote name='skywalker' post='117878' date='Jan 10 2008, 02:44 PM']The buyer pays the seller who pays the transport company - so the sender has the shipping contract.[/quote]
Erm... Thats why I said 'I know what you're saying' :)
However, the onus is on the receiver (usually the buyer) to inspect the goods. If he failed to do that and signed the driver off then there is no proof that the item was damaged in transit. No proof = no claim.
It's a sad situation and hopefully the insurance will settle in good faith but they're not legally obliged to if the item was signed for.

[quote name='Perry' post='117741' date='Jan 10 2008, 12:18 PM']The guy rang me to say that the head section has broken away from the main cab section and obviously it doesn't work.[/quote]

Unfortunately, I think you've probably been had. For a combo to be so badly handled that the chassis has either cracked or the head pushed out of the housing, there would have to be obvious signs of damage on the box, if there was even any box left! The buyer should have refused delivery of the goods.

If it were me, I'd have told the buyer to wait whilst I discussed the matter with the courier company. I'd have wanted photos, etc... As it stands, you now have to hoep that he plays ball and supplies the faulty item back to the courier company to allow the claim to proceed. They also have a very fixed and usually limited period in which to claim, so if the buyer drags his feet, you'll be out of luck.

Just a thought, but how did you refund the buyer? If it was via Paypal, get in touch with Paypal ASAP and say that the claim for damage is unsubstatiated and that, as the buyer has yet to provide evidence, and as the courier state that the item has not yet been delivered, you think you might have been conned.
If you refunded the buyer by cheque, cancel it, if by credit card, see if you can stop the payment.
Good luck
Chris

alot of digital cameras will reset back to a default date when the batteries go flat and more often than not people don't bother updating it when they take pics, seems like the guy is playing ball ok, but if not its an easy photoshop job to get rid of the date stamp on the pics.

c

[quote name='Perry' post='120588' date='Jan 15 2008, 08:39 AM']Here is an update. I have filled out the claims form and the guy has kindly sent me pics of the amp.

[/quote]

MB1. :)

Never a good idea to use the TOP GEAR courier service!.

The company was Interlink, I personaly wouldn't blame them as when it got sent out it went to a "hub" in Birmingham then another company took it to Ireland.

The guys at Interlink were helpful even when I told them about the damage.

After telling the guys at work two of them used to work for parcel/couriers. They both said it was common practice to throw any item that had "Fragile" on it.

When it comes to loading and un-loading the quicker it's done the quicker they can get back in the warm playing cards or pool.

Edited by Perry

[quote name='Perry' post='125446' date='Jan 22 2008, 02:00 PM']After telling the guys at work two of them used to work for parcel/couriers. They both said it was common practice to throw any item that had "Fragile" on it.

When it comes to loading and un-loading the quicker it's done the quicker they can get back in the warm playing cards or pool.[/quote]

I worked for a large parcel courier for a while (temp job after university) and the above is pretty much correct. Most of these places employ temp agency staff on minimum wage so there's not much incentive for the loaders to look after the packages. Your combo looks like it's been dropped out of the back of a truck onto the loading bay.

Edited by TheRev