Why become a member? ×

Warwick love

morsefull

I'll only sell my SSI if I get into some real financial trouble, and that would be after selling a lot of other stuff. It's not my main bass anymore but I still love it. I've been through a few Warwicks, not nearly as many as some though...

I hate the Warwick marketing - personally I feel it 'cheapens' the brand.

[quote name='J.R.Bass' post='1016369' date='Nov 8 2010, 02:12 PM']Well i think i've had enough of fannying about and looking for the newest best thing, as that there was when i was happy with my tone and sound and everything. :)[/quote]

GAS, driven by the "Grass is greener on the other side" syndrome can cause us to make odd choices.
In the early 80's I had a peavey rig that sounded great, but chopped it for a trace elliot rig, then subsequently spent the next 2 years quietly reggretting it. :)

I got my first Warwick (SSI) 20+ years ago and despite having had a silly amount of basses pass through my hands (both Warwick and non-Warwick) I still retain that first SSI (despite it going on 'holiday' for a while :) ) and could never imagine that I'd not have a Warwick of some sort... likely a Streamer! :)

As to whether they are fashionable; to some they never went out of fashion but at the moment they are certainly as cheap as they have ever been.

Since getting my proline i have been completely converted to Warwick, particularly odd as i remember thinking i would never go back to wood after my graphite necked stingray :) cant see me cheating on it with another manufacturer any time soon, such good tone and playability :)

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1016137' date='Nov 8 2010, 10:52 AM']I still like some of their designs / configurations
(Fortress, Infinity, Dolphin)

Some are ergonimcally/sonically fine, but merely "ok"
(Thumb, Streamer, Corvette, Jack Bruce SG)

Others are a disaster zone
([b]Stryker, Vampyre, Buzzard[/b], Nobby Meidel, That Adam Clayton Monstrosity )[/quote]

Haha! Listed three of my favourite shapes LOL! A vampyre with the Corvette $$ pickups would be almost my perfect bass, (if it were a 5 or 6 string it would be even closer!)

I really love the Double buck tone, but i don't really get on with the body shape as i dislike the uppr horn =/

Do warwick do soapbars? Or Is it the Corvette (normal one) with soapbars?

BTW also agree, the Clayton is horrible, with soapbars and the normal stryker body and it might look alright,

Looking forward to trying out a rockbass series!

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1016715' date='Nov 8 2010, 06:48 PM']Haha! Listed three of my favourite shapes LOL! A vampyre with the Corvette $$ pickups would be almost my perfect bass,[/quote]

The Vampyre (specifically the Dark Lord) is the only one I'd buy if I had the money.*

* I do have a Corvette Proline, but it was dirt cheap.

Edited by bartelby

The love for the fretted ones never arrived here (despite owning a couple and playing a lot of them), but I do like my fretless Corvette. That upper horn isn't great, though. :)

The money they're going for at the moment makes them a great buy if you like em, but they [i]are[/i] a bit Marmite, and I guess they always will be...

Edited by Muzz

There's something about them that I love that I just can't get out of other basses. My current Thumb BO4 neck dives like a bastard and I've got to keep my thumb firmly planted on the pickup to keep the neck at the right angle for my playing style (hmm, maybe thats where the name came from...)- but yet I would never ever consider getting rid of it as little annoyances like that just make me love it more. It's flawed ergonomically but I am very willing to deal with those flaws as the sound is just impossible to get out of other brands. The only thing I'd change it for is another Warwick (maybe a Streamer :) )

It left me.

I bought a Corvette 5 about 10 years ago as my first 5 string. I loved it for a while,but I eventually got tired of it after about 4 or 5
years and swapped it for an Ibanez BTB 6 which I still own and prefer. I'd happily play another Warwick(especially the Streamer or the
Thumb SC),but I much prefer their old Wenge necks to the Ovankol ones.

First bass I ever bought (after borrowing my dad's jazz to learn on) was a second hand Warwick Thumb 4 bolt-on with one of those slim 90's necks. That was 7 years ago and it's still very often my go-to bass for studio stuff. I couldn't part with it. I've since bought a custom shop Streamer Stage 1 and it's an absolute dream to play and where ever possible I'll use it live. Funny thing is though, I don't really use either of these basses at rehearsals or to write music on. They just pull through when I really need that tone and feel!

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1016715' date='Nov 8 2010, 06:48 PM']Haha! Listed three of my favourite shapes LOL! A vampyre with the Corvette $$ pickups would be almost my perfect bass, (if it were a 5 or 6 string it would be even closer!)

I really love the Double buck tone, but i don't really get on with the body shape as i dislike the uppr horn =/

BTW also agree, the Clayton is horrible, with soapbars and the normal stryker body and it might look alright,

Looking forward to trying out a rockbass series![/quote]

Haha! Indeed!
Sorry 'bout that! They do a Streamer $$ as well, you know.
Soapbars only really appear on the 6 strings (Thumbs, Streamers & Corvettes) and used to be Barts or Duncans, simply because MEC didn't make anything that'd do the job. Don't know if that's changed, though.

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1016715' date='Nov 8 2010, 06:48 PM']Haha! Listed three of my favourite shapes LOL! A vampyre with the Corvette $$ pickups would be almost my perfect bass, (if it were a 5 or 6 string it would be even closer!)

Haha! Indeed!
Soapbars only really appear on the 6 strings (Thumbs, Streamers & Corvettes) and used to be Barts or Duncans, simply because MEC didn't make anything that'd do the job. Don't know if that's changed, though.

Haha! Indeed!

Haha! Indeed!