Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Another lending gear thread

Cat Burrito

A US band from Portland came over recently. They are a similar genre to us and we've been helping them, picking them up, arranging places to stay and in a moment of what some might describe as madness I've personally lent the bass player one of my favourite Precision basses. He had a cheap copy bass lined up but in a moment of empathy I figure if I'd gone to the USA for 3wks of gigs I wouldn't want to play on a $100 bass. So I lent him my MIJ 62RI. It has been with me since the late 80s and the guy was really grateful.

In return they have snuck us onto the bill of a few shows and tonight we played London. It was nice jumping on the train knowing I didn't even have a patch cable to carry. I arrived and was reunited with my bass and the still pleased bassist. During soundcheck I thought I hope that bass looks half as cool on me.

There were 5 bands on the bill (!) and when I had stepped out to get something to eat I was met by my singer in a state of panic. One of the other bands' Jazz basses had packed up and they couldn't continue the gig. No worries, I went through and gave him the nod that he could use it. The whole band seemed relieved. At the end of their set we were on and I went to get my bass. The conversation went something like this;

"Thanks for that, really got us out of a hole"
"No worries, happy to help"
"I'm normally a guitarist and I don't really play bass"
"Oh right"
"Those chrome covers really get in the way, I had to use a pick and then I didn't know where to play"
"Yeah I saw you change your technique a bit"
"And what's with the foam under the bridge?"
"Well I like that Motown sound so it's just a piece of foam I cut to fit"
"Yeah, no sustain, I nearly pulled it out!"

*@**!!

I didn't tell him that during his set 3 people came up and said "I wish you hadn't lent him your bass!"

I'll still lend gear out but I think I need to be more selective :)

I'm obviously a better storyteller than I realised creating that extra suspense!

I just hate idiots who criticise gear when you help them out! At least mine doesn't pack up mate!

I would draw the line at lending to noisy bands who thrash their gear - so the Who are out! But everyone else, it's just karma :)

As I read it the bloke wasn't critisising your gear, just talking about it. He said he wasn't really a bassist, so may just have been genuinely curious. As for the foam under the strings the point is that he 'nearly pulled it out' - he didn't actually pull it out (and if he had I guess it would have easily gone back in).

I'm all for lending gear in these situations, provided its not just someone being lazy or a cheapskate. 'Do as you'd be done by' etc.

Perhaps I've been lucky, but none of my gear has ever been damaged when lent out to anybody. If it had I might think differently.

I thought it sounded a bit ungrateful....tbh
I don't think he should have said some of those things they way they came across...
he should have just inquired about the use and learnt from it.

I am glad it came off, but I agree about being selective about lending gear..

[quote name='JTUK' post='1014178' date='Nov 6 2010, 12:39 PM']I thought it sounded a bit ungrateful....tbh
I don't think he should have said some of those things they way they came across...
he should have just inquired about the use and learnt from it.

I am glad it came off, but I agree about being selective about lending gear..[/quote]

That's the trouble with the written word, you loose the nuances of the spoken word. You could be right, or I could, although the OP heard it first hand and was a bit miffed by it, so it's probably you (who's right).

I was loaning a guy my Compact at a gig last friday, they had asked me beforehand (that evening!) and I was cool with it.
When he came to set up, he plugged his Ashdown in, and...... Nothing!
So I leant my Shuttle 3.0 as well, didn't give it a 2nd thought, I was more than happy to help. He was driving it into the limiter the whole set and it didn't miss a beat, in fact it wasn't even all that hot at the end.
I'd hope someone would help me out in the same way if that ever happened to me. The oxford scene is pretty good like that.
That's all.
Jules

I've lent my gear for years and *touch wood* nothing crazy has happened BUT...

I nearly had a fit once when the bass player put a pint on my brand new Warwick Profet amp a few years ago. I nearly jumped on stage and took it off. Luckily he saw my face of rage and took it off :-D

I've lent my bass a couple times but it felt really wrong...almost dirty? Since then I'll never let anyone borrow it at a gig.