Why become a member? ×

What to do when you find yourself a little 'bored' with Fenders?

Musicman20

I found myself becoming more and more interested in trying different Musicman basses, as you may have guessed. I havent found one yet tI didnt like!

What is it about them? Ive no idea. Part of it is the massive tone you get with such a light touch, and the other part is the sheer quality.

Ive heard everyone talking about 2EQ Vs 3EQ Ray, and recently I had chance to compare. There is a difference, but I found it very easy to make a 3EQ sound more 'vintage' and thumpy....simple...roll back the treble!

I never thought Id sell my 08/09 P and J, but I have. Ive kept the one P that seems to tick all the boxes for me personally, and now I just cannot be bothered to find a Fender Jazz. Call in lazyness perhaps, but the lottery of find another that has good QC and also ticks other boxes is a nightmare.

So, for now Ive given up. Ive always preferred the feel of a P anyway due to learning on a P bass copy from day 1, so for now Im going to give it time and just wait for the Jazz!

Before anyone suggest a vintage Jazz, its not going to happen. Im far too picky!

Hey mate :lol:

With the bass you have / have on order i cant see you ever needing any other basses

you're very lucky to be able to order 4 and 5 string versions of the same bass :) :)

the Big Al will cope with the single coil / fender (ish) tones, in fact i reckon it'll cover a lot of ground. the one i tried was just amazing!!

:)

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='1006177' date='Oct 30 2010, 11:46 AM']Hey mate :lol:

With the bass you have / have on order i cant see you ever needing any other basses

you're very lucky to be able to order 4 and 5 string versions of the same bass :) :)

the Big Al will cope with the single coil / fender (ish) tones, in fact i reckon it'll cover a lot of ground. the one i tried was just amazing!!

:)[/quote]

Hi dude! This is partly why I opted for them I guess. They do 'Fender' but they do so much more. That single coil in the centre is a P bass killer! I have no GAS for a 50s P/Tele Bass (whatever they were called) anymore!

Im very excited!

Your nick, Musicman20... is that a reference as to how many MM basses you're aiming to own?

:lol:

(jealous? nah, not me :))

I find the Big Al extremely ugly... but I hear good things about them. And... there was a day when I thought the Stingray was hideous :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1006468' date='Oct 30 2010, 09:21 AM']The Big Alua stunning in the flesh, and even the Bongo is growing on me![/quote]

Time Line:::

Ibanez ---> Fender ----> Nope! There's nothing else.

I tried to love a Bongo - which reminds me of a Care Bear :::

I just can't create appreciation of a bass with a distended navel. Actually, they are OK - but just bearly (pun intended) and prolly would be my choice if I was introduced to them at an early-enough age.

Anyway - I'd really love to find one of these for a decent price some day:::

Well, I'd do what you've done and go down the Musicman route - it is IMO the natural evolution of the J and P bass!

I find myself a little bored overall with typical setups and I've turned towards basses that are a little more interesting - graphite components, headless designs, high tech preamps etc etc. However, I am not a fan of things that are frivilous in design, they have to add to incredible tone or playability. Recently I've found myself interested in basses with unique and interesting preamps and electronic settings. Things like Alembics, ACGs, Wals etc etc.

I also believe that the Musicman style humbucker pickup is the way forward, it just sounds so much better than a singlecoil or a split coil or whatever!

+1 on the G&L tip. Honestly, comrades check em out.

to the OP, as you like P necks, try out an L2000 (4string) or L2500 (5string); but do go for an MIA, rather than a Tribute (MIK). The electronics may be the same; but the wood, build, feel isn't.

i never thought playing Fender or MM would come second to anything; but G&L has done it.

G&L are good but I do find they can lean towards being boat anchors at times. They're nice and sound great, but the designs do feel a bit old hat. I'd still own one if I were looking for an "old skool" bass but even then, aside from having some coil splitting options I don't think they improved on the Stingray design.

When there are so many wonderful things to experience, I don't think bassists need to look back as much as they do. I've just discovered singlecut designs, having liked the look of them for years but never ownedone. It's a revelation!

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1006610' date='Oct 30 2010, 06:30 PM']I also believe that the Musicman style humbucker pickup is the way forward, it just sounds so much better than a singlecoil or a split coil or whatever![/quote]

Agreed, their Humbucker is immense, and their new single coils (well fairly recent) are very nice.

[quote name='charic' post='1007244' date='Oct 31 2010, 12:29 PM']For not too modern:
My ACG :) it does both
Warwick

Not sure if its too modern:
Dingwall[/quote]

Hmm, never got on with Warwick basses. I tried one and the humbuckers just didnt sound like I expected. VERY well put together though!

Not sure about Dingwalls. Nice idea, but I cant szee myself playing one. I need to have a tinkle on one. Thanks anyway!

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1007519' date='Oct 31 2010, 04:25 PM']In response to the OP, I really hope that I never get to that point.[/quote]

Its happened twice to me. Although I will always own at least one American P bass, and my guitar is actually an American Series Tele which is stunning. I just dont like the lottery and the faults I find on Fenders.

The first time it happened was about 8-9 years ago. I saved for ages for a natural American Series Fender Jazz (pre S1 switch) and it was absolutely AWFUL! It paled it comparison to my Stingray that I owned at the time. I decided to take it back as the finish wasnt actually 'finished' (very poor gloss like finish with marks and dimples all over it) and the sound was thin and nothing like I expected a Jazz should be.

The recent Fender's Ive owned have been MUCH better, without a doubt! I just decided one modern Fender P was enough, and ill try and find a Jazz that suits at some other point!

Popped (275 mile round trip - some 'pop') down to Bass Direct at the weekend, and had the chance to try the BB2024X, and as a Precision/Ray fan, it really was THAT good. MASSIVE sound for a passive, and exemplary build quality. Really nice feel to the neck, and the quality just drips off it. If they made one with a maple board, I'd have very very bad GAS indeed, but I just don't like rosewood boards enough to covet one. With eyes closed, though, it was simply the best P-Bass I've ever played (and I've played a few over the ears). I'd recommend trying one, but only if you're prepared for a £2.5k GAS attack... :)

[quote name='Muzz' post='1008431' date='Nov 1 2010, 12:46 PM']Popped (275 mile round trip - some 'pop') down to Bass Direct at the weekend, and had the chance to try the BB2024X, and as a Precision/Ray fan, it really was THAT good. MASSIVE sound for a passive, and exemplary build quality. Really nice feel to the neck, and the quality just drips off it. If they made one with a maple board, I'd have very very bad GAS indeed, but I just don't like rosewood boards enough to covet one. With eyes closed, though, it was simply the best P-Bass I've ever played (and I've played a few over the ears). I'd recommend trying one, but only if you're prepared for a £2.5k GAS attack... :)[/quote]

They sure do look nice, but that is a heck of a price tag! Thanks

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1008235' date='Nov 1 2010, 10:01 AM']Not sure about Dingwalls. Nice idea, but I cant szee myself playing one. I need to have a tinkle on one. Thanks anyway![/quote]

Try the SuperJ :) unless you really don't want GAS! Best sound I have ever got from a bass and it felt sooooo natural. Only time it became hard to use was when tapping.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1008235' date='Nov 1 2010, 10:01 AM']Agreed, their Humbucker is immense, and their new single coils (well fairly recent) are very nice.[/quote]

Although I should note that I'm referring to Musicman "style" humbuckers, not specifically ones made by Musicman. Predictably, I think the best pickups these days are found on ACG basses!