Why become a member? ×

How many amps/rigs do you have?

ThomBassmonkey

Amps
Marshall DBS 7400
Orange Terror 500 (bought today)

Cab
Marshall VBC 412

Got the Orange for practices, save lugging the Marshall about.
Tho if the Orange sounds either as good or better than the Marshall, the Terror will be amp No. 1.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1006617' date='Oct 30 2010, 07:38 PM']Amps
Marshall DBS 7400

Cab
Marshall VBC 412

Tho if the Orange sounds either as good or better than the Marshall, the Terror will be amp No. 1.[/quote]

Welcome to the OTB group.. if you love valves.. you'll love this badboy and you back is saved.. I mine take my everywhere. The ad200 is on the tour list.. and only on tour.. I'm not that big ;-p

1 X EA Doubler 550w amp + 1 X Bareface midget 1X12 cab for practice and gigs. Total weight 22.5 lbs.

Even in largish pubs I haven't come anywhere near needing more oomph. I'll get a BF Compact if I do.

I am never ever ever going back to heavy gear. For the first time in my life I've been able to cadge lifts to gigs. It is glorious. :)

1 x Trace combo at home for noodling. So heavy It'll probably be demolished with the house, as I can't see me lifting it anywhere ever again. Still love the sound though.

Edited by fatback

[u]Amps[/u]
G-B Shuttle 6.0 head, rackmounted with AKG wireless receiver.
Hartke 3500 head on its own in 2U case.
[u]Cabs[/u]
2 x Nemesis 1x15"
SWR Bass Monitor 1x12" wedge

The cabs are all 8Ω so there are no impedance issues. This gives me a fairly flexible selection. For rehearsals and some small gigs I generally use the Hartke with one Nemesis cab; for bigger gigs it's either the Hartke or more usually the Shuttle, with either the two Nems or one plus the SWR wedge.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1006617' date='Oct 30 2010, 07:38 PM']Amps
Marshall DBS 7400

Cab
Marshall VBC 412

Tho if the Orange sounds either as good or better than the Marshall, the Terror will be amp No. 1.[/quote]

You must rehearse REALLY LOUDLY then ... I've never yet got my OTB above about 12:00 at full-on pub gigs with a 5-piece classic rock band.

If I were a gambling man, I'd put a tenner on your DBS 7400 turning up in the For Sale section within a month or two.

Leaving aside various combinations of kit which would work as a stage rig, but which I wouldn't actually use, I have two heads & two cabs and I mix'n'match as required.

Essentially, I use OTB-500 through a Barefaced Midget for 3-piece rock gigs, OTB-500 through a Barefaced Big One for 5-piece rock gigs, and Eden WTX-500 through a Barefaced Big One for 5-piece originals gigs (when they start happening!).

The OTB-500 through a Midget is (IMHO) about the perfect compromise between a full-on rock sound and avoidance of chiropractors.

I prefer the Eden for the originals band because we're more Coldplay / Snow Patrol than rock, and the clean Eden tone is just right for our sound.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1006271' date='Oct 30 2010, 01:34 PM']However to answer the OP. Can I ask what the point is of two (or more) different amp/cab combinations which you use for different sessions? If you reason it out then you'll end up rehearsing with one 'sound' and end up gigging with a different one! BTW this isn't a criticism as I've been down the route of having gear left at rehearsal rooms and another rig for gigs etc. but it doesn't make any sense when you reason it through.[/quote]

Well at the moment I'm using a GK 2001RB-II (in a 4u rack with tuner) into a 410RBH cab (for practices, I'm expecting another to show up for large gigs, but that's not really relevant to this thread). What I'm seriously tempted by is a GK MB 500 into two Neo 112 cabs.

There's a few reasons, firstly a backup head never hurt anyone. The MB heads are small enough that I could keep it in my gigging backpack and if anything ever did go wrong with my 2001 (unlikely, they're built like tanks but always a possibility) then I'd have a backup. Second reason is that the rack case holding my 2001 weighs more than some cabs on it's own and the 4x10 is like trying to lift a small rhino. It is my dream amp and if I could only have one, I wouldn't ever dream of swapping it, but for practices, a micro head and two lightweight cabs would do the job nicely but just be far easier to move about. It'd also give me more options for recording and small acoustic gigs where I won't need a huge rig. Also with the smaller cabs, even though they're slightly larger for two than one 410, because they can be moved independantly, it gives a little more flexibility on packing if it's a tight space in the car.

On the other hand, I can't really afford it, but the GAS is taking me. :) I've got car insurance coming up, could use a new PC and I'd like another 5er instead of only having my 6 string if I need a back-up (would like some variation from my Warwick too just so I can change depending on mood). I was hoping most people would be replying saying "I only have one rig" but you guys aren't doing my bank any favours. :lol:

Edit: Just looked up the specs. 2001RB-II is 42.5lbs, 410RBH is 96lbs. Compare that to the MB 500 at under 4lbs and the Neo 112s (though I'd need two) are 30lbs each. So my current practice rig (which I don't have the luxury of leaving at the rehearsal studio where we practice at least once a week) weighs over 140lbs (including rack and tuner)!!

Edited by ThomBassmonkey

my main gigging rig is my ampeg B5R head along with B-4x10HLF cab, serious rock god sound with plenty of bottom and top end sounds.

I have been really wanting a backup lightweight rig and was aiming for markbass combo and ext cab. However I seen that ampeg did a lighweight selection which is now discontinued.

So imagine my delight that I managed to snap up an ampeg 250portabass head ALONG with the ampeg 2x10portabass cab, FREAKIN sweet.

I used the portabass gear at last rehearsal and loved it and I will be rehearsing the portabass cab along with the ampeg B5R head today at rehearsals to see if the cab would be suitable for gigging. Fingers crossed, however im sure a 2x10 400ohm ampeg cab will be more than adequate for any situation I would ever be in.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1006870' date='Oct 30 2010, 07:37 PM']Well at the moment I'm using a GK 2001RB-II (in a 4u rack with tuner) into a 410RBH cab (for practices, I'm expecting another to show up for large gigs, but that's not really relevant to this thread). What I'm seriously tempted by is a GK MB 500 into two Neo 112 cabs.

There's a few reasons, firstly a backup head never hurt anyone. The MB heads are small enough that I could keep it in my gigging backpack and if anything ever did go wrong with my 2001 (unlikely, they're built like tanks but always a possibility) then I'd have a backup. Second reason is that the rack case holding my 2001 weighs more than some cabs on it's own and the 4x10 is like trying to lift a small rhino. It is my dream amp and if I could only have one, I wouldn't ever dream of swapping it, but for practices, a micro head and two lightweight cabs would do the job nicely but just be far easier to move about. It'd also give me more options for recording and small acoustic gigs where I won't need a huge rig. Also with the smaller cabs, even though they're slightly larger for two than one 410, because they can be moved independantly, it gives a little more flexibility on packing if it's a tight space in the car.

On the other hand, I can't really afford it, but the GAS is taking me. :) I've got car insurance coming up, could use a new PC and I'd like another 5er instead of only having my 6 string if I need a back-up (would like some variation from my Warwick too just so I can change depending on mood). I was hoping most people would be replying saying "I only have one rig" but you guys aren't doing my bank any favours. :lol:

Edit: Just looked up the specs. 2001RB-II is 42.5lbs, 410RBH is 96lbs. Compare that to the MB 500 at under 4lbs and the Neo 112s (though I'd need two) are 30lbs each. So my current practice rig (which I don't have the luxury of leaving at the rehearsal studio where we practice at least once a week) weighs over 140lbs (including rack and tuner)!![/quote]

You know, you could find an old GK 400 or 800RB for a back-up/lighter rig. It'll be more like your regular setup, still rather lightweight, and less $$ than what you're looking at now. Cabs... Avatar makes a very hip 212, and the neo 210s are solid and sound very good. I got quite a lot of low end from a single neo 210, and that's coming from the drummer of a reggae band I gigged with regularly for two years.

There is something to be said for consistency, and affordability. Also Markbass are the new Bic Lighter for disposable amps... bust it, they send you a new one. For my bread, I'd rather have a GK, who stand behind actual workmanship. .02...

[b]Amps[/b]

Ashdown Superfly
Axis Sound NH100 (currently housing four CV1947* bottles, but I've got some EL 34s kicking around somewhere)

[i][size=1]*War Department 6L6's[/size][/i]

[b]Cabs[/b]

Flite 1 x 15
Epifani UL 110

Somewhere in the world is a Marshall 400w MOSFET power amp (that I lent to someone on spec & then lost touch with) that used to be driven by an ADA MP-1 programmable MIDI hybrid pre-amp (which is firmly bolted into a rack case).

Pete.

[quote name='Count Bassie' post='1006886' date='Oct 31 2010, 12:09 AM']You know, you could find an old GK 400 or 800RB for a back-up/lighter rig. It'll be more like your regular setup, still rather lightweight, and less $$ than what you're looking at now. Cabs... Avatar makes a very hip 212, and the neo 210s are solid and sound very good. I got quite a lot of low end from a single neo 210, and that's coming from the drummer of a reggae band I gigged with regularly for two years.

There is something to be said for consistency, and affordability. Also Markbass are the new Bic Lighter for disposable amps... bust it, they send you a new one. For my bread, I'd rather have a GK, who stand behind actual workmanship. .02...[/quote]

I'm endorsed by GK, so I really should stick with them (not that I would buy anything else if I had the choice anyway) and it makes price less of an issue. :) If I did go for a lightweight rig, there's no doubt what it would be.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1006948' date='Oct 31 2010, 06:59 AM']Lozz does play with the loudest drummer on the planet! :)[/quote]
Yr kidding Burrito, after my time in heavy rock, The Daves are a welcome rest on my ears!

Seriously tho, really looking forward to trying out the Terror - I know it will be loud enough, just a bit concerned over the gain kicking in too early. I like a bit of gain, but not too much, though from what I`ve read, I can change the pre-amp valves to ECC81s, which should provide a later break-up re gain.

To Happy Jack, thats kinda my plan, if the Terror works out, the DBS will be up for grabs. Save my aging back from any more punishment.

See the siggie! :)

Seriously, I have two rigs; one based around the Line 6 Lowdown 110, which I use for small gigs, practice, and church events with(out) PA support. I can take either bass, but prefer to use the Ibby, mostly because it's in standard tuning (the Lowdown don't like the low down tuning of the Squier :lol: )

The second rig is more modular; based around the GK head, I can use any of my cabs with it - 4x10, 1x15 or 2x 1x12's, or, just for shits 'n' giggles - all of it with the amp-rack in tow. Mostly used for larger Sunday morning gatherings when we have a drummer, some PA support etc. Use either bass, but prefer the down-tuned Squier, mostly because the songs we play can be in appropriate keys (A-major/F#-minor, G/Em or C/Am), and I prefer having a two-octave range for some of them to complement the electric/acoustic guitars.

HTH, Ian

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1007632' date='Oct 31 2010, 06:10 PM']How does the MB with 2x1x12s cope for volume at practices and gigs? That's what I'm tempted to go with. :lol:[/quote]
Not bad, although the 1x12's are a pair of cheap-ish PA cabs from Maplins - can't really handle a lot of low-end, so usually end up with them crossed-over with the 1x15. Occasionally I'll run 'em clean through the GK at moderate volume if I've got PA support. Good to have as a standby in case I can't lug the EBS cabs around with me.

I'm still looking for something to replace them with, all kinds of goodies over in Claber-land :)

HTH, Ian