Why become a member? ×

Doing a shuker course! - now finished

umph

I've been doing the shuker course today and yesterday and i thought i'd post up a few pictures as some of you may be intrested in seeing my progress with it.

Bass wise i've decided to make an sg style neckthrough bass with a 34" scale length and a pair of darkstars. It will be finished in a transulcent red and have a maple neck / body with a padouk finger board!

unfortunatly missing some pictures as they are on the camara and i cba to sort that out just yet.

body/fretboard all glued together ready for routing and finger board to be glued on

Finger board all cut etc, is a great looking / smelling wood

both together

truss routed

body with the wings to get a rough idea of what it'll look like when done

neck with fretboard clamped on

one of the wings glued up with the top and binding

More to come tommorow when i should hopefully get it all to the stage where it'll be ready for sanding!

Edited by umph

Looking really good! I did this course a while back, and it's well worth the money! Andy, to answer your question, when I did it, they were generally around the £1000 mark. I got quoted £950 for mine, then added another pickup and ended up paying £990. Depends on what you do though, mine was a simple ash body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard, although with a custom shape and 2 band EQ. If you're looking for fancy woods or whatever, it's going to cost more, if you're looking for a simple one pickup, passive, it's going to be less.

Edited by Tait

[quote name='Stu-khag' post='1004715' date='Oct 29 2010, 08:04 AM']member 321!
your spam boat is up, and I'd reccomend some wizards for those slam dunks.
back on to the thread, good luck with the project. I'd love to do the course, I wonder how much it would cost or indeed if it was possible to do something like a bass vi?[/quote]

See Tait's post above for the cost (worth having a look at his Shuker build thread as well!). I'm sure you could do a bass vi. But IIRC the course is only a week, so you are limited to what you can build in that time. You agree a spec with Jon before you start, and he will advise what is realistic within that timescale.

Umph that looks great. SG shaped basses are really growing on me at the moment. The Padouk finger board sounds interesting too - stunning looking wood. I'm looking forward to tonight's instalment!

Top work mate!
Looking great, quite an adventurous build going neck through, but looks like you've broken the back of the work in 2 days!

I'd love to do this course sometime soon, if time and money will ever allow!
My fiance did a wood turning course down at the same place recently, some real nice places to stay round there, and several good watering holes too!

I'd love to build a nice simple shortscale at some point...

Eude

What, say when you triple-post for example? :)

Sorry, the painkillers have left me feeling cheeky this afternoon :lol:

I'm amazed, looking at the threads on this course, at how much people are able to get done - for some reason, I assumed it would all take so much longer!

only did a half day yesterday due to gigging in the evening but got a fair bit done, radiused the fretboard put in the markers and generally sanded down the top and fret board to make it ready for gluing together etc.

and @ spoombung mr shuker is a great teacher he generally shows you what to do and lets you get on with it but he'll check up on you and will help you rescue it if you make a mistake