Why become a member? ×

Doing a shuker course! - now finished

umph

i had very limited wood working skills prior to the course, the most i'd done was stuff at school and gluing some cabs together.

spent today doing buffing and finishing off the frets

After i did that i put some oil on the fretboard, it's pretty good how well the board matches the colour of the body!

Still more buffing to go though to get all the scratches out!

[quote name='Spoombung' post='1033008' date='Nov 22 2010, 06:20 PM']The fret work would be the ultra-scary bit for me. How did you get on with it?[/quote]

found fret work alot easier than i thought it'd be. Essentially involves flatting them to the same height then reapplying a curve and smoothing them out etc.

if you take up this course be prepared to do epic amounts of sanding ;o

[quote name='umph' post='1033411' date='Nov 22 2010, 11:49 PM']found fret work alot easier than i thought it'd be. Essentially involves flatting them to the same height then reapplying a curve and smoothing them out etc.

if you take up this course be prepared to do epic amounts of sanding ;o[/quote]
you can eliminate most of the sanding with cabinet scrapers. those things will save your life if you spend a lot of time with dodgy carcinogenic hardwoods. bass looks cool, should be alright routing pups later. i had to widen a danelectro neck pocket for a mate after making a new neck for him. router cut through that thick cheap sparkly sh*te with no trouble.

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1035845' date='Nov 25 2010, 03:33 AM']you can eliminate most of the sanding with cabinet scrapers. those things will save your life if you spend a lot of time with dodgy carcinogenic hardwoods.[/quote]
Careful! you're giving away trade secrets :)

I use a palm sander for epic sanding jobs. Life's too short for that much elbow grease although I must admit scrapers are very handy for burls and arched tops.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...