Why become a member? ×

Anyone heard of a bass player called Nigel Clutterbuck?

Thunderthumbs

Guest TheBigBeefChief

It's a bit like Ronaldinho in a Nike advert. He stands there with the ball, does some amazing tricks and shows off just for the hell of it. Most of these tricks he would never use in a game, but it doesn't mean that as technical excercises they're not worthwhile.

Doing anything with a bass in your hands is probably bettter practice than sitting there without one.

Admittedly, its not my type of thing and if he did it in a band scenario he'd be joining Jazz and Jay Kay on "the list". But if the man wants to do it and people are happy to watch, then let him have his fun I say.

Edited by TheBigBeefChief

[quote name='TheBigBeefChief' post='114423' date='Jan 5 2008, 10:53 PM']It's a bit like Ronaldinho in a Nike advert. He stands there with the ball, does some amazing tricks and shows off just for the hell of it. Most of these tricks he would never use in a game, but it doesn't mean that as technical excercises they're not worthwhile.[/quote]

Good point :)

[quote name='TheBigBeefChief' post='114423' date='Jan 6 2008, 12:53 AM']It's a bit like Ronaldinho in a Nike advert. He stands there with the ball, does some amazing tricks and shows off just for the hell of it. Most of these tricks he would never use in a game, but it doesn't mean that as technical excercises they're not worthwhile.[/quote]

+1, your point's really good, but I don't simply get it, why some people are trying to "justify" him - who cares, If he's playing there with a band or not, and has Something to show, why doesn't he make some MUSIC out of his amazing ( I dunno if it's really amazing - I annoy that kind in a musical way...whatever) Technique??? :)

When I watched that video, I couldn't simply understand, where the phrase starts and ends... So, what's the point?

I know, technique is important, very important thing, but I think, we should show Music out of it, not the technique out of music :huh:

Cheers

I got a third of the way through, then gave up.

IMHO there's precious little musicality here...

To those who think this type of playing is cool;

What I have to ask is:- why?

What's *actually* good about it?

OK, it's fast... anything else?

There's no real melody that I got,

The rythmn was a bit iffy too.

(awaits flames :huh: )

Oh, and before anybody asks - no I couldn't play like that,

No I'm not that 'good' - it's just my opinion :)

Edited by David Nimrod

Guest TheBigBeefChief

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='114806' date='Jan 6 2008, 05:31 PM']I got a third of the way through, then gave up.

IMHO there's precious little musicality here...

To those who think this type of playing is cool;

What I have to ask is:- why?

What's *actually* good about it?

OK, it's fast... anything else?

There's no real melody that I got,

The rythmn was a bit iffy too.

(awaits flames :huh: )

Oh, and before anybody asks - no I couldn't play like that,

No I'm not that 'good' - it's just my opinion :)[/quote]

Don't get me wrong - it sounds pretty dreadful to my ears. But its about context. Just because he can play like that, doesn't mean he does all the time.

If one morning you woke up and could play like that out of the blue, you'd be showing off like that to anyone who would watch, even if its just for the novelty. I know I would.

I suppose it all depends on Mr Clutterbuck's view on this. If he genuinely thinks it sounds amazing and that he's at the vanguard of bass playing, then I'd disagree. If he plays it because he can and does it for the sheer fun of it, then fair play.

Maybe I'm just being lenient because "Nigel Clutterbuck" is such a great name.

Guest TheBigBeefChief

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='114845' date='Jan 6 2008, 06:29 PM']Perhaps I had a sense of humour failure...

Perhaps the playing was post modern irony?

Whatever that is :)[/quote]

Perhaps thats it. We're all missing the point. The vid is actually a p*ss take.

I knew the name was to good to be true.

I feel so stupid.

Its happening again isnt it?

Nitpicking over a bloody Youtube flick of someone that in a solo,on his own,is showing a few tricks. On a Bass guitar.

Why?
Isnt this becoming dull and obvious AND sad?

Edited by ARGH

Guest TheBigBeefChief

[quote name='ARGH' post='114861' date='Jan 6 2008, 06:42 PM']Its happening again isnt it?

Nitpicking over a bloody Youtube flick of someone that in a solo,on his own,is showing a few tricks. On a Bass guitar.

Why?
Isnt this becoming dull and obvious AND sad?[/quote]

Nah...

Everyone knows a bass has 4 strings, passive electronics and plays root notes.

Anything else should be burnt at the stake.

[quote name='TheBigBeefChief' post='114869' date='Jan 6 2008, 06:47 PM']Nah...

Everyone knows a bass has 4 strings, passive electronics and plays root notes.

Anything else should be burnt at the stake.[/quote]

yeah,playing above the 7th fret is an act of heresy.

Re:His Bass...Should have gone to Jim Fleeting!

Veering away from the bollox being spouted regarding what should or shouldn't be performed, I've met nigel several times now, at bass days, at the guitar show and at Stanley's gig in camden last year and all those times he's come across as a really nice guy with a very good sense of humour which is (according to the book) why David gilmour chose guy Pratt to be his bass player.

back to the slightly off topic bollox, i can't play anywhere near as well as nigel and like most on this forum I wish i could. However, this style doesn't fit in with the music I play. I bet you anything that nigel wouldn't play like this in a covers band either.

Come on guys, lets take it for what it is.

It's a guy in a music shop having a bit a fun showing what he can do.

It's not a piece of music. It's not a performance. It's a bit a fun.

Great technique, and I wish I could do that too. What do you play when trying a bass out in a music shop ? Root notes might be what we all play in a band but they're not very interesting played on their own in a music shop !

Is he a great bass player ? I don't know. I can't tell from that clip. I suspect that he is. It still just looks like great fun to me.

Well done mate.

Might have been impressed if;

1. It was 1984-90 instead of 2008
2.If the rhythm/timing was better
3.If there wasn't a zillion people doing that stuff on you tube
4.If it didn't bring back memories of me playing/trying to play like that in the 80's with a bit of a mullet hairstyle goin on :)

I couldn't watch much of it ,but At least he didn't start doing a "Tap-athon" (or did he?)

Edited by walplayer

Nige is a very good friend of mine and a very good musician. I've been fortunate on many occasions to sit and slap some bass with him and he sure as eggs is eggs inspires some of my playing and technique.

I'm not about to get involved in this omnipresent argument surrounding what is real bass playing as frankly I couldn't care less and most of you I'm sure will feel likewise about my opinion. All I will say is that I enjoy very much what he does but then I enjoy listening to ANY player with talent and that can run the gamut from Be-bop through to Extreme metal.

Having an open mind I feel helps me enjoy music.

[quote name='Darryll-Profane' post='116271' date='Jan 8 2008, 03:14 PM']Having an open mind I feel helps me enjoy music.[/quote]

I agree wholeheartedly. One thing I always tell young kids is not to be ignorant towards any style of music. Don't just go with the flow. Give everything an open ear.

Do you know, I'm almost sorry I posted this to start off with. It was never meant to cause some of the "I'm right, you're wrong" sort of stuff that's been going on. He has got tremendous technique, and sadly, this video doesn't do justice to the many other ways he can play, and so it provokes a very blinkered attitude. There is a part of me that wishes I could do some of what he can. Whether what he's doing would fit into a song is of no importance, because I think we all know it wouldn't, so I just wouldn't do it. It would be just for doing something a bit flash, just because I could.

He's also doing covers now. Something he's avoided for 20+ years. And he's doing the likes of Mustang Sally like an awful lot of us. And you can bet your bottom dollar he won't be playing like this when he does.

As has been pointed out on many posts, it's him just slapping away for the fun of it. And criticising it for the fact that it's a style that was popular 20 years ago is irrelevant to me. Or am I the only one that still slaps to a bit of Level 42 if I'm practicing for fun along to my iPod? Or maybe I pick a plectrum up and play along to a Jam track as they were my first serious influences?

I didn't try out one bass at the Bass Day in Manchester.....simply because I'm not a trickster......I'm just a good ole' solid bass player. Instead, I drove all the way to Brighton to try and buy EBS cabs from Bernie Goodfellow.....in private.

I want to improve myself, and push forward with my limitations. I want to learn to sight read. I want to be technically much, much better.

But do you know, there's still a part of me that wishes I could do what Nigel does......for my own self gratification. Good luck to him.

Edited by Thunderthumbs