Why become a member? ×

Any love for Corts?

Bottle

Hi chaps

Have been GAS'ing for a bass that can do the Jazz bass and Stingray/MM-style in one package - can't afford a Sandberg Cali JM4 or a StingRay HS at the moment (although they're both on my 'must audition' list!). Having had a brief noodle on a Cort GB74A at the London 'bash a few months ago, I've started looking at budget options as well. One idea was to get a cheap-ish Jazz bass and rout out an MM pickup in place of the bridge pickup, but for less money, I could get me one of these (Cort GB34A).

Good idea, or barking up the wrong tree?

Ian

[quote name='Bottle' post='999886' date='Oct 25 2010, 12:05 PM']Hi chaps

Have been GAS'ing for a bass that can do the Jazz bass and Stingray/MM-style in one package - can't afford a Sandberg Cali JM4 or a StingRay HS at the moment (although they're both on my 'must audition' list!). Having had a brief noodle on a Cort GB74A at the London 'bash a few months ago, I've started looking at budget options as well. One idea was to get a cheap-ish Jazz bass and rout out an MM pickup in place of the bridge pickup, but for less money, I could get me one of these (Cort GB34A).

Ian[/quote]

Excellent basses, but be warned they have quite a wide, flat neck that may or may not be to your taste!

Cheers,
James

[quote name='Moos3h' post='999890' date='Oct 25 2010, 12:09 PM']Excellent basses, but be warned they have quite a wide, flat neck that may or may not be to your taste!

Cheers,
James[/quote]
Found I got on OK with the Cort I have tried - is it Jazz-neck flat 'n' wide?

My Squier P-Special has a shallow Jazz-style neck on it, quite thin really, narrower than a P, which I prefer to a P-style 'baseball bat' neck. Dunno, just feels fast and more fluid to me. Couldn't get on at all with the neck on my Ibanez ATK - that was a real beastie (but that was a 5'er).

Another plus point is the Vol/Blend/Stacked tone arrangement - does anyone know if there's an option to have coil tapping/switching of the MM pickup on this model?

Ian

[quote name='jon_kemo' post='999903' date='Oct 25 2010, 12:23 PM']The neck on the GB74 I had was possibly the most comfy I've played. Really nice bass just didn't really like the electronics. Isn't the GB34 passive though?[/quote]
Re: neck. Yep, that's pretty much how I remember it.

Re: passive/active, you know I'm not sure, I'd just assumed it was active, what with the stacked tone controls etc. I'm happy to be proved wrong, although I am looking for an active bass since both my current basses are passive - it would be nice to have something with some 'ooomph'. I'll have a Google and find out...

Ta, Ian

[quote name='jon_kemo' post='999915' date='Oct 25 2010, 12:35 PM']Yer thinking about it thats probably what the A in GB34A stands for (doh!). As i said though great bass, nice hardware (hipshot tuners, locking jack) just didnt like the electronics.[/quote]
Thanks!!

Yep, definitely an active bass (or so Google tells me). One to try out then

Bass Merchant has them for a not-unreasonable sum, so may have to plan a trip to Colchester this side of Xmas

Sorted

Ian

[quote name='machinehead' post='999928' date='Oct 25 2010, 12:48 PM']Many of the basses they manufacture are rebadged as Lakland, Fender etc. :)[/quote]

Do you know I was told this on Saturday when trying out a Cort acoustic bass!!!!

Edited by farmer61

[quote name='Bottle' post='999886' date='Oct 25 2010, 12:05 PM']Hi chaps

Ian[/quote]

Hi Ian,
In the corner of this room there's a rather lowly strung chap with an ash complexion who's feeling rather chuffed with himself at the moment. In fact I think there's a bit of a blush to the ash.

Well, you love your Corts. Both that lovely walnut Squier and the Ibanez are just that. To the best of my knowledge all the Squiers except the Classic Vibe series, are Corts. Likewise all the Ibanez's except the expensive"Prestige" series. It's a fair guess that Mighty Mite pickups are also part of the Cort stable.

Yes the GB34 is active. The volume control doubles as an active/passive switch when pulled up. The middle rotary acts as a balance between the pickups and furthest to the right is the stacked bass/treble. That Bassmerchant price is very good. The only difference between the 34 and the 74 is the latter having an ash body and two additional rocker switches. One switches in a lower midrange bass boost and the other is a 3 position toggle that switches the MM pickup to front or back or both sections.
Somewhere on the Cort web site there's a .pdf circuit diagram.

Enjoy the quest,

Alan.

[quote name='Balcro' post='1000221' date='Oct 25 2010, 05:21 PM']Well, you love your Corts. Both that lovely walnut Squier and the Ibanez are just that. To the best of my knowledge all the Squiers except the Classic Vibe series, are Corts. Likewise all the Ibanez's except the expensive"Prestige" series. It's a fair guess that Mighty Mite pickups are also part of the Cort stable.[/quote]

They also do G&L Tributes, and the old Fender MIK's like the 24 fret Jazz.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update - I'm off to the Bass Merchant in Colchester shortly i.e. this afternoon, to try out a Cort GB35A (the five-stringer, and maybe some other lovely stuff :)). I'll let you know how it turns out. Still after the four-banger, but they didn't have one in stock.

Ta muchly for all the comments

Ian

Just waiting for my GB75 neck to return from Mr Shuker where it has been having a new ebony fretless fingerboard fitted. Couldn't find anything else as good in a similar price bracket (and I've finally worked out the (IMO) OTT electronics)!

Only thing I think I'd gas for now is a custom build or a GB95 (oh, and some decent amplification).

Well, got to have go on the Cort, and, oh my, what a wonderful bass. Well-made, neck and body fitted well etc. Only grumble was the cheap-ish feeling pots, the pickup balancer was a bit scratchy - just hope they're not all like that. Other than that, a very nice bass, and it almost tempted me to go back to five strings. Still, I think I'll stick to four (for now :) ). Weight was OK, and heavier than I was expecting, but then I've been playing passives for the last year.

Well, I'm sold. Just need to go ahead and order one for Xmas - as per the piccie in the first post, think I'm gonna spring for the Metallic/Candy-Apple Red 4-banger.

Took my head and the guys at BM very kindly let me play through a couple of cabs - an Ampeg SVT810AE and the Genz-Benz Neox 212. Very impressed with the Genz - light, tight and punchy.

Whilst I was in the shop, saw a very nice Dean Edge 4 unlined fretless - maybe get to have a go on that next time I'm there! :)

Anyway, thanks for all the comments, guys. I love Bass Chat

Ian

• 8 months later...

[quote name='artisan' post='1032892' date='Nov 23 2010, 05:07 AM']i know it's a different model but i very recently bought a Cort C4H in almost as new condition for £175.00
it's a fooking ace bass,sounds & plays very nicely,hell it's even got a wenge neck.[/quote]

Yeah , I just picked one of those up cheap , was going to move it on but after 2 gigs and some home jamming its a keeper , it weighs a bit but just feels right , full 2 octave neck but has a medium scale feel to it , killer slap tone and nice paua inlays in the wenge neck and Pearl binding on the body , build quality is top notch and to be honest I think it rivals Basses 3 times the price ..... sort of a Hybrid MM/Status tone to it . Win Win

I really want to try the GB4-custom model they have, looks like it has awesome specs. Not to mention, an affordable bass with a spalted maple top? Yes please! I've seen online places selling them for about 650$, so that's what, about £450-£500? Maybe less? I can't remember what the exchange rate is like atm...Anywho, as soon as I find a shop in london that sells one, I'm gunna go get my hands on it.

I have a Cort T-35 and I adore it. I bought it as new for £229, the previous owner bought it new and only had it for 4 months, it still has the cellophane on the control cover and machine heads. I've never played an active Bass before so I have nothing to compare the electronics to, but they're not noisy at all and seem quite versatile for a 2 band EQ. The neck is wide and flat, which took some getting used to but was worth it.

My next Bass will be a Cort Curbow 4 string, as soon as I can convince my wife that my life depends on it.

I have a Cort headless Flying V Guitar that I've had for 17 years, which is a fun little thing and seems to take any tuning I throw at it, down to C, without having to mess with it.

So, I've become somewhat of a Cort fan.