Why become a member? ×

Macca Fans - HELP!

AndyTravis

Im going to turn up to play a set of Beatles covers on the 30th with an ultra modern SWR rig and a Nordstrand pickuped Jazz bass.

How the frigg am i going to make it sound like a Hofner 500/1 (i used to own a Hamburg model).

I've considered a foam mute under my Ashtray cover, obviously rolling a bit of tone off and upping my mids on the amp. Playing with a chunky plectrum i assume?

Will this do for a 'just about'? The lad i'm depping for bought my Hofner, and has a 4001, but both will be in storage, so lending them isn't an option.

Also, having never really played much beatles gear before, any tips on Maccas style.

I know some of his lines aren't to be taken lightly, but i've never really watched him playing.

Anyone in a 60's Beat type band, or a Beatles tribute act? Want to walk in and make sure i'm spot on.

This is before i've listened to the bloody harmonies i'll have to sing...

Ps - if you hate Macca/the Beatles, don't post in this thread, i couldn't give a f***.

Check this guy - loads of tips on how to play like Macca...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/beatleoyaji"]http://www.youtube.com/user/beatleoyaji[/url]

I don't think your rig will get you a Macca sound, but mutes, no treble and a pick will get you a retro sound that will probably do, and will do for everyone at the gig

Neck pickup, roll your tone off about half way, foam under the bridge for the muted sound of tapewounds and a healthy dose of low mids. Pick essential.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='988620' date='Oct 14 2010, 11:28 PM']Ps - if you hate Macca/the Beatles, don't post in this thread, i couldn't give a f***.[/quote]

I especially loved this part of your post Andy :) What are the band called out of interest?

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='988637' date='Oct 14 2010, 11:37 PM']Would you believe my Ricky would have been perfect for the job - sold it last week.[/quote]
Isn't it always the way? :)

Remember most of the audience will be judging the look, i.e. whether you have a Hofner, rather than the sound. He used rotosound black nylons circa Abbey Road if you want that tone? Sounds like a fun gig. I love McCartney's playing

[quote name='risingson' post='988684' date='Oct 15 2010, 12:28 AM']Neck pickup, roll your tone off about half way, foam under the bridge for the muted sound of tapewounds and a healthy dose of low mids. Pick essential.

I especially loved this part of your post Andy :) What are the band called out of interest?[/quote]

They're a band from Saddleworth called the 99's, they do their own thing, and sometimes they do the odd beatles gig to fund new gear/recordings.

They've done really well, considering it's nothing revolutionary.

I work with Johnny the singer/guitarist.

Our Financial Director from work had heard about them and booked them for his wifes birthday party, she's a big beatles fan so that's what's being asked for.

Brownie points with the boss, bit of cash and free booze. Winner.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='988703' date='Oct 15 2010, 12:41 AM']They're a band from Saddleworth called the 99's, they do their own thing, and sometimes they do the odd beatles gig to fund new gear/recordings.

They've done really well, considering it's nothing revolutionary.

I work with Johnny the singer/guitarist.

Our Financial Director from work had heard about them and booked them for his wifes birthday party, she's a big beatles fan so that's what's being asked for.

Brownie points with the boss, bit of cash and free booze. Winner.[/quote]

Gigs like it have got to be done to foot the bills sometimes. I know a lot of Beatles cover bands, two of my mates play in one and go the whole hog... outfits, Gretsch and Rik gear, the lot. Best of luck.

Edited by risingson

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='989096' date='Oct 15 2010, 12:17 PM']i'm listening to macca as we speak, got my head on.
Cheers guys.[/quote]

I'd worry more about the vocals, the guy had a voice high enough to be a eunuch!

They transposed long tall sally up from the original Little Richard version which wasn't too low to begin with!

Are you doing any macca lead vocals?

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='989089' date='Oct 15 2010, 12:08 PM']It'd be cool to nail the tones, fair enough. But a great contribution to your bass parts would be adopting Macca's style and phrasings, in other words, putting the 'McCartney' head on for the evening.

Just my 2p

T[/quote]

great idea

and don't forget to give it the 'macca thumbs aloft' anytime there's a camera around.