Why become a member? ×

cheat sheets

lojo

Cheat Sheets

I've 35 songs to play at my schools parent night fund raiser, its all classic pop and rock that I've heard 1000 times on the radio

I have no problem remembering chord progressions, licks, fills and the like for each song, but its the structures im gonna have trouble committing to memory

I wont need chord sheets, but feel i need to be able to glance at the lyrics to be confident where I am in some of the songs

So just wondering how do you guys approach a gig, where you may not have everything stored deep enough in your mind

Edited by lojo

Whatever you need for a prompt, you just put it in the easiest format that does the job, often use a pad, notes or a quick look at any sort of chart.

It also depends who and how the song is being led. If the leader doesn't follow your rules, or the correct format according to you...and this is not unknown, you tend to fall back on 'all-ears' and watching gtr shapes.

Whatever it takes, really. It happens a lot.

Cheat sheets / Crib sheets for the win! I've had similar situations too and have found that a gentle reminder of the structure on a sheet is enough. All the fills and licks I am fine with but I make a note of stops and changes that could catch me out.

Im used to busking and going off structure, but normally know my stuff well enough

Also not expecting to understand any leading at this one :) as we are all pretty much in the same boat

Just wondered if anyone had any neat tricks for prompts other than lyrics

Edited by lojo

[quote name='lojo' post='985431' date='Oct 12 2010, 10:08 AM']Im used to busking and going off structure, but normally know my stuff well enough

Also not expecting to understand any leading at this one :) as we are all pretty much in the same boat

Just wondered if anyone had any neat tricks for prompts other than lyrics[/quote]

Bit of paper, scrawl the line before the change on it, and where it goes (if you need to) then you just have to listen out for the bit you need.
I've got a whole set on one side of a4 this way before.
Eventually narrowed it down to a little strip of paper taped on the top edge of my bass.

Nods, singer puts a hand up at the last line of the song, that kind of thing. I was playing in an ensemble on Saturday where the singer and the drummer met for the first time on the day of the gig. 24 songs. No pressure then. There was quite a lot of that sort of thing going on in addition to cheat sheets flying about the place.

Sheet of A4 and a big marker pen (don't write in biro, you'll never see it on stage). Write down simple chord changes (verse and chorus) and any bits of song you can't remember. Keep it simple, so you can look across and pick up where it's going next, without having to decipher. Gaffer tape it to something at eye level, so you're not looking down. PA speaker cab is usually good.

Don't pull a face if you get it wrong, just correct yourself, keep smiling and no-one will notice. Also, keep watching the singer though to guess where the song's going!

Good luck. :)

I don't always look at them but I chart out most of the numbers I play in the regular bands, cos some don't gig that often, and all numbers with the dep bands. For me it's safer that way. Don't use red ink. It disappears under stage lights!

I've got an originals band reunion gig coming up in Feb and they have a rule.... no charts! My brain's already full so something else has got to go!

[quote name='neepheid' post='985439' date='Oct 12 2010, 10:14 AM']....Nods, singer puts a hand up at the last line of the song, that kind of thing. I was playing in an ensemble on Saturday where the singer and the drummer met for the first time on the day of the gig. 24 songs. No pressure then. There was quite a lot of that sort of thing going on in addition to cheat sheets flying about the place....[/quote]
Someone has to lead and make sure there is a lot of eye contact and as many signals as you all need. Giving signals and getting it right looks more professional than crunching to a halt or all playing a different arrangement!

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='985444' date='Oct 12 2010, 10:19 AM']Sheet of A4 and a big marker pen (don't write in biro, you'll never see it on stage). Write down simple chord changes (verse and chorus) and any bits of song you can't remember. Keep it simple, so you can look across and pick up where it's going next, without having to decipher. Gaffer tape it to something at eye level, so you're not looking down. PA speaker cab is usually good.[/quote]
Yep, that's pretty much what I do, usually making a few notes on the set list and tape it to the PA head cab. If we're playing a new-ish song I might write the chord progressions and/or structure, it depends on how confident I feel.

One thing I do like to have on the set list is the key or sometimes the first note of the song. Muscle memory get's me through most songs but sometime I blank on the starting position - a simple note on the set list avoids this.

But at least bassists can adapt to a different key if necessary. We recently played a gig where our singer had learned a simple harmonica solo for a song we play in A. For some reason, the guitarist started the song in G, which I and the lead guitarist immediately noticed and shifted key. But I couldn't get the attention of the singer to warn him not to play his harp solo and it was like waiting to watch a car crash. Fortunately. he quickly realised something was wrong once he started his solo and wisely decided to to persevere. Fun and games!

The bottom line is to make up whatever crib sheets you feel you need containing whatever works for you.

[quote name='dood' post='985421' date='Oct 12 2010, 10:03 AM']Cheat sheets / Crib sheets for the win! I've had similar situations too and have found that a gentle reminder of the structure on a sheet is enough. All the fills and licks I am fine with but I make a note of stops and changes that could catch me out.[/quote]

Wot he said!

[quote name='lojo' post='985431' date='Oct 12 2010, 10:08 AM']Im used to busking and going off structure, but normally know my stuff well enough

Just wondered if anyone had any neat tricks for prompts other than lyrics[/quote]

If you are busking...then someone really must take charge..this is normally the singer and hopefully he is the gtr as well..that way, you just follow him.
Unless you are following the same format..which isn't always the case, as these things are by the very nature, tentatively loose, but NOT loose sounding, hopefully,
you need as much going as poss.

A quick nod to the keys for the changes, for example..IMV, someone has to take control or you are are looking around thinking, when..? and the indecision takes its toll, IME.

What makes this more difficult that it should ever be, is someone wanting to do a song, half-knowing it, and not being committed on the changes.
That leads to everyone else not knowing what is happening, when.

Of course, you could all follow charts, but again, you need to have these prepared and everyone able to follow them.

Two choices for me depending on my knoweldge gaps; if it's just a small thing I usually write on the set list next to the offending track something to trigger it i.e. F# after solo, or if it's more complex I use blank postcards and write on those. I regularly take those on stage as they are descreet and easy to read. I always only write what I am likely to forget, so if the verse is C,F & G it's unlikely I'll need notes on that! It's usually good for middle sections or changes to amp settings