Why become a member? ×

My first 'bass day' experience.

daz

I came out Manchester Oxford Rd station at 12:30pm, turned right and walked in the direction of the University. After maybe 7 or 8 hundred yards I start thinking to myself "hmm its round here somewhere" ? Just then I realized the traffic had all passed and the road was clear, but I could still hear hear lorries rumbling past somewhere in the middle distance, but there was something not quite right....? Suddenly, after a head slapping moment I realized the almost subsonic hum was coming from the building behind me, as I turned the corner at the junction to my right the sounds of dozens of basses vibrated me along the road to the entrance of the music college building :)

All the guys who took to the stage were excellent. The live side of the event was very ably 'compared' by Stevie Williams [i]avec chapeau [/i] (a natty bowler ). then Steve and his Friends who's names i have forgot, started us off with a couple or three of rocking tunes. Next up was a very informative rhythm session and Q&A from Dave Marks and drummer Darren Ashford (hats off to the guy who had the balls to go on stage with them and play a bass he'd never seen before in his life).

Then Stuart Hamm came on, who i must admit I'd never heard before. He was immediately likable and the crowd quickly warmed to him. Stu was really funny as well as being a red hot bassist and tapping officianado. Id like to hear more of him. After that was the turn of the one and only Victor Bailey[size=5]*[/size], who also had some funny anecdotes as well as of course showing us some of the worlds finest bass chops. But as he said, no matter how much of a virtuoso you are, if it don't get you rocking, its a waste of time.

Lastly of course the legendary Billy Sheehan was on stage. He had however been doing sterling work at the Hartke stand practically the [i]entire day[/i], playing [url="http://www.doctorbass.net/en/producto.asp?id=1000170475"]his own signature Yamaha bass [/url]for the punters around the Hartke stand, answering questions, signing autographs & basses, and posing for hundreds of photographs. Needles to say there was always a large group of people around him. What an ambassador for the bass world, and what a nice guy.

The only small downer of the day was i had to leave at 8:45pm to catch the train home, and missed the prize draw to win a bass. Who won it?

ps: i bought 2 sets of Rotosound Jazz Bass Monel Flatwound hybrid gauge strings for £30. I hope thats a bargain :lol: ?

pps: damn i didnt even see anything about [b]free[/b] strings and MarkBass [i]Keeper[/i] till i got home, surely you should have been given them when you got your wrist band ?

heres a (bad) pic of Steves band (minus a guitarist i chopped off on the right) who did a great job of opening the Bass Day live stage.

[attachment=61030:bass_day...ves_band.jpg]

[size=5]*[/size]Victor Bailey thought for the day: "The first five frets are the money makers :)

Edited by daz

MB1. :)
...Was my Third or fourth me thinks?
...Yes was a very Good Bassday! Got to meet and chat to Stuart Hamm spoke to Billie Sheehan who were both more than happy to chat and sign Autographs.Even got a chance to ask Victor Bailey about his time with Omar Hakim on the Madonna Australia Tour.Thoroughly Enjoyable day!
...Many Thanks to Stevie Williams and everybody else involved in setting it up!...Mustard! :lol:

[quote name='MB1' post='984206' date='Oct 11 2010, 11:08 AM']Even got a chance to ask Victor Bailey about his time with Omar Hakim on the Madonna Australia Tour.[/quote]

Ah! That was you who asked that question!

The most 'awkward' question of the day for me, was the one that was asked by the guy who asked Billy about the four finger technique....

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='984212' date='Oct 11 2010, 11:15 AM']Ah! That was you who asked that question!

The most 'awkward' question of the day for me, was the one that was asked by the guy who asked Billy about the four finger technique....[/quote]

that question was just not even appropriate :)

think that's why Billy asked him to repeat it like 3 times! what can you say to that???!!

[quote name='funkyspuke' post='984229' date='Oct 11 2010, 11:26 AM']that question was just not even appropriate :)

think that's why Billy asked him to repeat it like 3 times! what can you say to that???!![/quote]

I was thinking to myself, is Billy buying himself some more thinking time... or did he think the guy was a windup... he did look a little uncomfortable. As sad as the situation was, the whole life story was not appropriate. The statement that he has lost all movement in his pinkie would have been sufficient...

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='984281' date='Oct 11 2010, 11:58 AM']I was thinking to myself, is Billy buying himself some more thinking time... or did he think the guy was a windup... he did look a little uncomfortable. As sad as the situation was, the whole life story was not appropriate. The statement that he has lost all movement in his pinkie would have been sufficient...[/quote]

I still don't understand what the question was, was he asking Billy how to get his little finger working again?? Or was he asking what to do instead?? I'm still puzzled.

I also didn't get what the guy was trying to get across in the Dave Marks session. Asking about what the drummer should do when playing really percussive melody?? Sounded to me like he was a.....deep breath............Mark King wannabe?? :)

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='984281' date='Oct 11 2010, 11:58 AM']I was thinking to myself, is Billy buying himself some more thinking time... or did he think the guy was a windup... he did look a little uncomfortable. As sad as the situation was, the whole life story was not appropriate. The statement that he has lost all movement in his pinkie would have been sufficient...[/quote]

i missed his question - went out for 2 secs, came back when BS was answering it.

[quote name='funkyspuke' post='984229' date='Oct 11 2010, 11:26 AM']that question was just not even appropriate :)

think that's why Billy asked him to repeat it like 3 times! what can you say to that???!![/quote]

nah i think he just didnt hear it, it was rather convoluted. As Billy said "forty years standing in front of very loud bass amps..." Did you notice him cupping his hands behind his ears for every question? *I think the guy really has some hearing problems.

Edited by daz

+1. Also I did wonder how having a mental/nervous break down could actually affect the movement of your fingers in the first place? The answer was very good though, saying how it's better to be a good musician rather than just a bass player. Because i think my friend who i was with (got on each others nerves a lot this weekend!) has this idea of being the world's best bass player ever. And i must say i think it is a bit sad in a way because at the end of the day you're just better off learning another instrument if you want to be "the best" at anything imo. That's exactly the way I think of playing not just the bass but all the instruments I play. The reason I play them is so I can make music, not just be a virtuoso!

Personally I was getting a bit sick by the end of it. I literally had just a cocophony of bass notes ringing through my head last night in bed. I don't think I'll go next year (if it's on next year). Sorry guys. Not that I didn't enjoy meeting BS or that Neil bloke or any of the basschatters. It's just y'know I couldn't really handle a whole day of it.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='984607' date='Oct 11 2010, 04:56 PM']Personally I was getting a bit sick by the end of it. I literally had just a cacophony of bass notes ringing through my head last night in bed. I don't think I'll go next year (if it's on next year). Sorry guys. Not that I didn't enjoy meeting BS or that Neil bloke or any of the basschatters. It's just y'know I couldn't really handle a whole day of it.[/quote]

I agree it was a little wearing after 3 or 4 hours, and i was there for 8 hours myself. My 'trick' to it was this. There was a quiet area at the box office with long comfy settees in, that was a good place to chill out with a tea or coffee between the Q&A sessions and masterclasses. There is after all only so many times you can go around the same 15 stands. :) Also there was a quiet garden area outside, where you could sit in the sun and quiet for a while. It would be a shame to miss on on a great event like this because of easily fixable circumstances.

trick #2, At least two of the bass stand people had noise canceling headphones on. :) (no really) Obviously not their first bass day. :lol:

Edited by daz

[quote name='owen' post='984906' date='Oct 11 2010, 08:58 PM']What did he say?[/quote]

Victor said (amonst other things) Madonna and the tour was "no sex no drugs no rock n roll, one hundred percent serious business" and he admired her as a business woman. There were certain things he couldnt say, "as there are ladies in the room" :)

Edited by daz