Why become a member? ×

YES - "Going For The One" recording session

Stingray5

[quote name='daveybass' post='974963' date='Oct 2 2010, 01:21 PM']Love it, Squire is the business..didn't know he played a Jazz on that album, or was it just this track?[/quote]
Other clips show him on the Ricky (e.g., 'Wondrous Stories'), plus acoustic guitar.

Fabulous! Alan White's really cookin' too.

I've been on a YES trip for a a few days, trying to get rid of the Jeff Berlin memories of the week. I can't stop listening to the version of Siberian Khatru from Keys to Ascension, it's sublime.

Thanks for posting this clip mate.

[quote name='daveybass' post='974963' date='Oct 2 2010, 01:21 PM']Love it, Squire is the business..didn't know he played a Jazz on that album, or was it just this track?[/quote]

He still manages to sound like himself... indeed the Jazz sounds like a Rick!

Great vid - another thanks for posting :)

Marvellous. And you can hear the bass to. I spent some while trying to pick bits out of Roundabout a while back where the bass seemed lost a lot of the time.

Talking to the drummer in my proggy project yesterday and he asked if I had ever wanted a Rick. Said in my youth it had always been a dream because of Chris Squire and he mentioned that CS had used Fenders on a lot of studio stuff.

[quote name='silddx' post='975202' date='Oct 2 2010, 05:34 PM']Fabulous! Alan White's really cookin' too.

I've been on a YES trip for a a few days, trying to get rid of the Jeff Berlin memories of the week. I can't stop listening to the version of Siberian Khatru from Keys to Ascension, it's sublime.

Thanks for posting this clip mate.[/quote]

Didn't Berlin fill in for Tony Levin on some Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman & Howe live stuff? never got round to hearing it though. I recently downloaded a good quality bootleg from the Tormato tour, sounds like it's taken off the desk. No 'Going For The One' on it but some interesting stuff from the much malignedTormato album.

[quote name='WalMan' post='975928' date='Oct 3 2010, 01:13 PM']Marvellous. And you can hear the bass to. I spent some while trying to pick bits out of Roundabout a while back where the bass seemed lost a lot of the time.

Talking to the drummer in my proggy project yesterday and he asked if I had ever wanted a Rick. Said in my youth it had always been a dream because of Chris Squire and he mentioned that CS had used Fenders on a lot of studio stuff.[/quote]

I'm sure I read somewhere that one of the band said the original Roundabout didn't have any bass on it at all, it was all done on guitars. Might have been off their tits on wacky backy though...

[quote name='KevB' post='977020' date='Oct 4 2010, 01:09 PM']Didn't Berlin fill in for Tony Levin on some Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman & Howe live stuff? never got round to hearing it though. I recently downloaded a good quality bootleg from the Tormato tour, sounds like it's taken off the desk. No 'Going For The One' on it but some interesting stuff from the much maligned Tormato album.[/quote]
Jeff Berlin is on the CD & DVD of ABWH's "An Evening of Yes Music Plus..."
He joined the tour with two days notice after Levin contracted Hepatitis.

Is your bootleg the "Twelve Towers at Dawn" one? Superb quality with a stunning version of "On the silent wings of freedom"
I've had it on vinyl for years.

[quote name='KevB' post='977023' date='Oct 4 2010, 01:11 PM']I'm sure I read somewhere that one of the band said the original Roundabout didn't have any bass on it at all, it was all done on guitars. Might have been off their tits on wacky backy though...[/quote]
Squire doubled his bass part for "Roundabout" on one of Howes guitars.

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='silddx' post='975202' date='Oct 2 2010, 05:34 PM']I can't stop listening to the version of Siberian Khatru from Keys to Ascension, it's sublime.[/quote]

Ooh - I'll have to check that album out, slipped past me somehow.

In fact the only live Yes album I've ever really listened to is my original vinyl copy of YesSongs & it's been so long since I played it that when i just reached out to grab it from the shelf I discovered that the 2nd album has disappeared.

Given that I've lived in this house for about 6 years, & that no-one ever touches my vinyl, it must have gone a long time ago, lol.

I loved Tormato for a long time. Doesn't hold my attention now but some of the bass playing on that LP was stunning. Really strong songs, really great playing, great production.

But my favourite Yes related product was Jon Anderson's 'Animation' LP. Still sounds fresh today.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='977065' date='Oct 4 2010, 01:39 PM']I loved Tormato for a long time. Doesn't hold my attention now but some of the bass playing on that LP was stunning. Really strong songs, really great playing, great production.[/quote]
It's a great album that, along with "Drama", really doesn't deserve the terrible reputation it's got.
Squires "Harmonised Rickenbacker" sound on Tormato is wonderful, possibly my favourite bass sound of all time.

[quote name='silddx' post='975202' date='Oct 2 2010, 05:34 PM']I can't stop listening to the version of Siberian Khatru from Keys to Ascension, it's sublime.[/quote]

That's weird - this week, I've been listening to exactly the same track, over and over. Such a great fat grunty bass sound.

[quote name='mildmanofrock' post='977079' date='Oct 4 2010, 01:45 PM']That's weird - this week, I've been listening to exactly the same track, over and over. Such a great fat grunty bass sound.[/quote]
:) Exactly what I have been doing for the last week and a bit, over and over and over and over. The bass sound is the best I've heard, wonderful! The mix is great, the sound quality, Jon's voice, the stereo field backing vox, the song, everything is fabulous!

[quote name='RhysP' post='977041' date='Oct 4 2010, 01:24 PM']Is your bootleg the "Twelve Towers at Dawn" one? Superb quality with a stunning version of "On the silent wings of freedom"
I've had it on vinyl for years.[/quote]

I don't think it has a title as such but it was recorded in Quebec City, might be the same recording as a lot of bootlegs end up getting different titles but same source. If it is not and you'd like an mp3 copy feel free to PM me. There are a few live bootlegs in the download I made as a job lot but this seemed good quality, I get distracted with the ones that have people talking all over them from audience recordings.

[quote name='Sonic_Groove' post='977200' date='Oct 4 2010, 03:06 PM']Wow that is fantastic good find!

B[/quote]
Cheers, mate. Good to see there's a fair few here who (still) dig this stuff.
Now where's my copy of Yessongs? :)

[quote name='silddx' post='977092' date='Oct 4 2010, 01:50 PM']:) Exactly what I have been doing for the last week and a bit, over and over and over and over. The bass sound is the best I've heard, wonderful! The mix is great, the sound quality, Jon's voice, the stereo field backing vox, the song, everything is fabulous![/quote]

I have it playing right now :lol:

Love Squire's tone on this - makes me want to go & buy a Ric - which would be a complete waste as I'd never get anywhere near his sound, lol.

[quote name='gelfin' post='977754' date='Oct 4 2010, 10:15 PM']Nice post. I haven't seen this one before. I am a complete Yes fan. Play a couple of Rics. Here's a pic of my Cs ltd edition Ric and my latest aquisition a set of the new Taurus 3 bass pedals to compliment my Taurus 1's.[/quote]

That looks like a lot of fun!

Not sure I've seen anyone with twin Taurus pedals before :)

[quote name='gelfin' post='977754' date='Oct 4 2010, 10:15 PM']Nice post. I haven't seen this one before. I am a complete Yes fan. Play a couple of Rics. Here's a pic of my Cs ltd edition Ric and my latest aquisition a set of the new Taurus 3 bass pedals to compliment my Taurus 1's.[/quote]
Funnily enough I was just checking out the new Taurus 3's and you'll be the perfect chap to ask how they compare next to the T1's. :)
Love your two Ric's, by the way. The b/w one is the spit of my own, bought new back in '74 from Music City (Shaftesbury Avenue).
Oh, how I wish I had the old girl back now! :)
When I think how much I paid back then, too. Case included. Ouch! :lol: