Why become a member? ×

Yamaha VS Ibanez

BASainty

I have noticed while looking at reviews between curtain Yamaha basses that there is always someone who says that there is a Ibanez that costs the same but better for example:

Yamaha RBX170 vs Ibanez GSR200

Yamaha RBX374 vs Ibanez SR300

Yamaha RBX375 vs Ibanez SR305

I mean is one make better than the other? or is it simply just preference?

I dont understand the war that's going between these two manufactures.

6 & half a dozen, really - there's every likelihood both brands are made in the same factories anyway. They both have an excellent reputation for top quality low & intermediate cost instruments, so realistically it's down to personal preference based on styling, sound & feel.

Jon.

I'm not sure it's a war - just that the two manufacturers are competing in the same space.. And they both make very fine low-intermediate basses as has been pointed out. Aria also used to play in this space, but they seem to have gone down-market in recent times...

I also like the necks on Ibanez basses ( I have two). I also have an Aprilia RST1000 and use Yamaha Keyboards (CLP270 and Motif ES8)... And I like them as well...

[quote name='Bassassin' post='972998' date='Sep 30 2010, 05:58 PM']6 & half a dozen, really - there's every likelihood both brands are made in the same factories anyway. They both have an excellent reputation for top quality low & intermediate cost instruments, so realistically it's down to personal preference based on styling, sound & feel.

Jon.[/quote]

I could be wrong here, if I am please shoot me down, but I understood is they (Yamaha) don't sub out, they own the factories that make Yamaha products?

[quote name='iconic' post='972948' date='Sep 30 2010, 05:20 PM']Yamaha always for me, but I do know Ibenez make great basses too...but my bike is Yamaha, my Hi-Fi is Yamaha...never had a bad Yamaha anything, that's about as scientific as I get![/quote]

They also make outboard motors, so maybe you should get yourself a wee boat?! :)

im a big fan of yamaha there basses are always well made but i never had one i have kept hold of
i had a yamaha attitude plus, rbx200 fretless, attitude special and they were nice to play just wasnt overly impressed soundwise
i own ibanez sr505 and an old roadster rs900 and i love the sound of these ,so for me its ibanez but to be honest i would say that both companies both have good quality contol

[quote name='iconic' post='973026' date='Sep 30 2010, 06:24 PM']I could be wrong here, if I am please shoot me down, but I understood is they (Yamaha) don't sub out, they own the factories that make Yamaha products?[/quote]

Bang on their mate...According to my 'History of Yamaha Guitars' book

Yamaha Music Craft Hammamatsu, Japan
Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Yamaha Music Manufacturing Indonesia

and Yamaha Guitar Development in the U.S.A.

A good book if you're into guitar geekery.

Definitely Yamaha for me. I have owned a few more modern Ibanez basses but never kept them long enough however...I do regret getting rid of my 1982 blazer!

For me Yamaha's quality control is second to no other and in there lies the issue for me. Their basses are made to such a high standard that they kinda feel perfect losing the whole human touch thing. Don't get me wrong I love my three to bits but they do lack character. The build quality right down to neck pocket fit that has absolutely no gap nor movement, and the finish shows no sign of wear even after 21 years of gigging, being bashed around practices and traveling through Europe to get to me... Sound quality is supreme but again perfect!

andy

I don't like the feel of Ibanez necks, they're a bit too thin for adult human hands I think. I've always liked the Yamaha BB models, and my first "proper" bass was a Yamaha RBX-550M which I recall setting up and selling back to the shop I bought it from for almost the same price they'd sold it to me for, and getting a load of work from them setting up basses as a result. :)

[quote name='noelk27' post='973256' date='Sep 30 2010, 10:52 PM']Ever tried using a hammer?[/quote]

Yes, a Yamahammer.

Regarding Ibanez necks, I suppose if you don't like the SR4 or SR5 neck, you're going to dislike their SR range of basses. I mostly play Ibanez 5 string SRs; however, I should add that I have their top-of-the-line (at the time) models and I have always avoided the lower part of the range. This is not because it is rubbish, but because I don't like the generic P based design and I try to avoid Chinese products as much as possible.

[quote name='4StringFortress' post='973939' date='Oct 1 2010, 01:34 PM']Such a nice bass in that colour!

Im hopefully getting a black BB414 soon i wish i could paint it orange =][/quote]

Here are mines but I don't own the Fender any more.....:)