Why become a member? ×

Jamiroquai

Pete Academy

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='971737' date='Sep 29 2010, 02:12 PM']Whenever I see Jay Kay it makes me wonder why press photographers don't twat him more often, it must be really tempting. Especially now they know he goes down like a sack of spuds.[/quote]
:) :lol: :)

I'd pay good money to that.

Too true - just incase anyone has not seen the infamous headbutt by the photographer click below and prepare to piss yourself laughing!! Enjoy.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRKc_AgAniI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRKc_AgAniI[/url]

[quote name='ezbass' post='971869' date='Sep 29 2010, 05:02 PM']:) :lol: :)

I'd pay good money to that.[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='972241' date='Sep 29 2010, 11:55 PM']Too true - just incase anyone has not seen the infamous headbutt by the photographer click below and prepare to piss yourself laughing!! Enjoy.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRKc_AgAniI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRKc_AgAniI[/url][/quote]

what a knob head...that was quite satisfying...

[quote name='Bassassin' post='972269' date='Sep 30 2010, 12:56 AM']I'll watch & cringe on Friday. Always found Jamiroquai, once you get past the good musicianship, to be purveyors of thoroughly loathsome & insubstantial lift music. I don't expect much has changed.

Jon.[/quote]oh i do hate that term 'lift music'!!...its not open minded and a little sad, and lacking in a knowledge of music.....ive heard Led Zep in a lift aswell as Chicago to Steely Dan to Shakin Stevens and many others...i understand the stigma attached to it...and what your refering to but its such a blanket term for music like this....if you dont like it cool, but dont palm it off as insubstantial..

you dont like it im sure but some of the "lift music" you refer too are some of the best musicians in the world..

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='972275' date='Sep 30 2010, 01:09 AM']oh i do hate that term 'lift music'!!...its pathetic, and lacking in a knowledge of music.....ive heard Led Zep in a lift aswell as Grover to Steely Dan and many others...

its such a blanket term for music like this....!! can you name any other "lift music" you find insubstantial and loathsome?...most of the types of music your poss referring too are some of the best musicians in the world...

open your eyes..[/quote]

I kind of agree but I must say, it was incredibly bland show to watch and the sound was piss poor. It's the kind of music that wouldn't see the light of day if there wasn't a big name behind it.

I used to be a massive Jamiroquai fan and have met both Stuart and Paul and discussed their playing, especially with Paul in detail, both a superb players and very different. But the new stuff is shocking.

Edited by risingson

I always liked Nick Fyffe's playing the most, he seems to get over looked a lot in these discussions, but to me the bass on Synkronized was some of the coolest and grooviest they've had.

I really like a lot of their music, as does Mrs. Beard (!?), so they get a lot of airplay around here, but no matter how often I listen to them, for me there is nothing that can beat Black Capricorn Day for sheer groovy greatness!

(I'm at work now, but I'll be checking out the heedbutt later!! haha)

[quote name='bubinga5' post='972275' date='Sep 30 2010, 01:09 AM']oh i do hate that term 'lift music'!!...its not open minded and a little sad, and lacking in a knowledge of music...[/quote]
That's an awful lot you infer about me from my use of a common generalisation, about which you then say:

[quote name='bubinga5' post='972275' date='Sep 30 2010, 01:09 AM']i understand the stigma attached to it...and what your refering to but [b]its such a blanket term for music like this[/b]...[/quote]
I could have used any number of other descriptions - I described much of last weeks show as "sickly aural gloop", which would be ideal for Jay Kay & chums - but I don't particularly like to repeat myself. And by your own admission you know [i]exactly[/i] what I meant by "lift music". :)

[quote name='bubinga5' post='972275' date='Sep 30 2010, 01:09 AM']you dont like it im sure but some of the "lift music" you refer too are some of the best musicians in the world..[/quote]
Good & bad is subjective & personal, but you won't need me to tell you the best musicians don't necessarily make the "best" music.

J.

I thought Everything Everything were great too - but am surprised no one has mentioned great bit of bass playing (and quirky moves too) by the bloke with Delta Spirit . . . busy but old-school blue-eyed funky at the same time . . . and a fantasticly noisy bit of guitar and violin abuse by Warren Ellis of Grinderman (who I am going to see tomorrow!). All made Jamiriquoi look like a pub band IMO

I must say that there is so little good live music on TV that i always enjoy Jools even if I'm not keen on any of the bands . . . I was lucky enough to go to a filming last season and we stood right next to the Specials - Gary McManus played an explorer but I was only inches away from his backup bass - a lovely old white precision (with two-tone logo on the headstock!)

Not had chance to see this yet!
1993 saw Emergancy on Planet earth come out, great album, 17+ years in the business, they must be doing something right! No doubt this one will sell a load as well, but I doubt he will top the sales of earlier albums, still manage to put a heap of money in the bank though. What do we know, we're just bass players lol

[quote name='Bassassin' post='972720' date='Sep 30 2010, 02:17 PM']That's an awful lot you infer about me from my use of a common generalisation, about which you then say:

I could have used any number of other descriptions - I described much of last weeks show as "sickly aural gloop", which would be ideal for Jay Kay & chums - but I don't particularly like to repeat myself. And by your own admission you know [i]exactly[/i] what I meant by "lift music". :lol:

Good & bad is subjective & personal, but you won't need me to tell you the best musicians don't necessarily make the "best" music.

J.[/quote]

yeah of course i know it...i know lots of stupid terms...doesnt mean i like them...what the the world doesnt need is generalisation's...

if i described Rock music as mindless thrashing and loathsome and insubstantial i would expect a comment or two... your post could have been put better thats all... :)

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='972968' date='Sep 30 2010, 05:34 PM']if i described Rock music as mindless thrashing and loathsome and insubstantial i would expect a comment or two...[/quote]
I'd be broadly inclined to agree, though! :) However if you applied the description to a specific band (like wot I did) and I happened to disagree with your assessment then we could have a proper argument!

J.