Why become a member? ×

Fender 1978 p-bass needs a new home

jontrice

Hello people I have a 1976 USA P-bass that i simply just don't use now I have my Sei bass and the bass has had the neck rebuilt as it was run over by a van in the 80's, but it's also been profiled and it plays better than any other pbass I've ever played.

I know that 76 pbass's go for £2,000 and I know this one is not cosmeticly the best example with it's hot pickups and blue burst finish but it sounds the part and is worth a look at.

Edited by jontrice

[quote name='jontrice' post='968780' date='Sep 26 2010, 08:33 PM']cheers guys just sorted it out but obviously I was not quick enough to avoid not get slated.

and I'm open to negotiation on price so I'll see what people offer.[/quote]

You need to state a price mate

C

I think the Blueburst looks very nice indeed. It seems to be a classy combination of striking finish, classic P bass, and age. It seems to give the bass an early 60s Burns look in my opinion

I also think the changes, although perhaps not desirable on the collector market, might well indicate that it's a good instrument. It plainly hasnt been sat under the bed because it's too heavy/ a bit of a dog/ doesnt cut it in a band. Good instruments get used, and it may be that only for a bass with good playability, would previous owners have gone to the effort and expense of adding these cosmetic changes, in my opinion.

I also have a 76 P. It's been stripped, had a tortie replacement, rewired, had the hell knocked out of it at some time and probably replacement knobs. It is set up beautifully, as only a professional would have done, and there is strong evidence that it came out of London having done the rounds on the session/theatre circuit . However, it's the most easy playing , well balanced, sweetest classic P Ive played. It's the one I always go back to, even though I have tried many different and more expensive basses.

My message is to go and try these instruments, you'd be surprised how good they can be.

Just my take on things :)

Edited by loweringthetone

[quote name='gareth' post='968867' date='Sep 26 2010, 09:37 PM']Just like buses!

[url="http://cambridge.gumtree.com/cambridge/72/66119472.html"]http://cambridge.gumtree.com/cambridge/72/66119472.html[/url][/quote]

Oh dear ! .... ah ! but thats a precession bass so its probably not worth as much !

Edited by loweringthetone

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='968918' date='Sep 26 2010, 10:19 PM']Looks great but the serial number suggests to me it's a 1978, not 1976. Am I missing something?[/quote]

I've messaged the OP re this - he prob doesn't realise and been told it's a 76. I've got a S8 neck on one of my P's that dates to 1980 according to the butt stamp.

I do apologise people I no fender historian but I've had to change the listing because I've been informed by one of you clever people that its not a 76 because the SN on the head is incorrect for the time it is a 78, I was told by the chap who previously owned it that it was a 76 but it is not. and on gum tree it is my bass i asked a friend to chuck it on there as I had not used that site before, and I will sell it for what he thinks is a more suitable price of £750.

sorry for changing things, I don't really do selling my basses...

[quote name='jontrice' post='969755' date='Sep 27 2010, 05:43 PM']sorry for changing things, I don't really do selling my basses...[/quote]
Don't worry about it. It looks good and is fairly priced (I'm half tempted myself but I'm downsizing, not looking to increase) so I'm sure it'll sell