Why become a member? ×

DR Neon strings!!

CHRISDABASS

Never tried DR coated strings before. Are they based on any of their non-coated strings (Fat/Hi/Sun beams or Lo-Riders etc)?
If they exhibit wear like Elixirs do, expect fluffy flozzy strings after a while as they fray. If the coating flakes off, it's going to look great under UV all over your trousers!
I suppose they do look good on the right bass, but unless you keep your strings very clean, I reckon they'll start to look speckled with dirt after a while.

[i]....thinks....[/i]

Interesting alternative to LEDs in a dark environment, though- provided you can bathe yourself in UV light. And don't suffer from dandruff/flaky scalp!
Imagine how funny they'd look in an orchestra pit!

I find the black beauty coating very robust playing both fingerstyle and slap. It wears down on the bit that contacts the frets (which you don't see) but I haven't noticed any flaking and after a good 8 or 9 months I'm still happy with the feel and tone of them on my jazz, and I really don't like dead strings. A pick would probably be a bit much for them though.

Apparently DR use a different type of coating to what they originally used.

I remember having a set of Rotosound Spacer strings in about 1993 which were I think the first black coated strings available - they quickly, over the space of a few weeks, went from black to grey and dead as a dead thing. Surprisingly they never took off