Why become a member? ×

Has PayPal clamped down on "gift" payments?

stevie

I just tried to make a payment to a fellow Basschatter using the usual "gift" option and they've now changed it. It looks like they won't let you transfer funds for free any more. I expect Ebay is not making enough money.

Edited by stevie

Bound to happen, imagine how much money they were losing as everyone clued up to the gift thing? To my loss I paid a couple of BCers by 'gift', didn't get the goods, and couldn't get a refund from Paypal, so to be honest, I don't think the change is a great loss.

C

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='964264' date='Sep 22 2010, 11:23 AM']Paypal balance to paypal was free, but if you were going via a card, gift just meant the sender gets charged instead of the receiver.[/quote]
Aha - that's interesting. I only paid part of the amount with my PayPal balance. So maybe if I'd had the entire amount in my PayPal account I wouldn't have been charged.

[quote name='Beedster' post='964254' date='Sep 22 2010, 11:18 AM']..... to be honest, I don't think the change is a great loss.[/quote]

Dunno about that. I found it quite useful. And if you have money in your PayPal account, somebody has already paid PayPal commission to put it there. Four percent commission makes cheques look attractive again.

There's always bank to bank transfer but I'm a bit wary about giving a complete stranger my bank account details.

Edited by stevie

[quote name='stevie' post='964294' date='Sep 22 2010, 11:46 AM']Dunno about that. I found it quite useful. And if you have money in your PayPal account, somebody has already paid PayPal commission to put it there. Four percent commission makes cheques look attractive again.

There's always bank to bank transfer but I'm a bit wary about giving a complete stranger my bank account details.[/quote]

Yeh but that 4% covers you, and I've probaly had it back more than a few times over when things have been broken or not arrived.

I've never had to claim but I've heard lots of stories about people who've tried to claim and were left high and dry. If PayPal provided reliable insurance against being ripped off, I certainly wouldn't mind paying them.

EDIT No, I tell a lie: I did try to claim a small amount once but the seller had used weasel wording in his ad and I was unsuccessful.

Edited by stevie

[quote name='stevie' post='964320' date='Sep 22 2010, 11:58 AM']I've never had to claim but I've heard lots of stories about people who've tried to claim and were left high and dry. If PayPal provided reliable insurance against being ripped off, I certainly wouldn't mind paying them.[/quote]

We all hear stories, but every time I've claimed in time I've been paid, both quickly and in full.

As Harry Callaghan would say "Check out the developing 'Help: Lichfield' thread, and ask yourself, do ya think that 4% would be worth it, do ya punk?" :)

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Beedster' post='964328' date='Sep 22 2010, 12:03 PM']As Harry Callaghan would say "Check out the developing 'Help: Lichfield' thread, and ask yourself, do ya think that 4% would be worth it, do ya punk?" :)[/quote]
I particularly liked the bit about the Swedish guy with no hair.

I'd have more faith in him than PayPal but I see what you mean.

If you fund a gift totally from your Paypal balance - no charge.

If you fund a gift from a credit card then you pay the fees.

If you have a bank account linked to your Paypal account by Direct Debit and fund the gift from your bank account then no fees, however instead of doing that why not use bank transfer, which with faster Payments is almost instantaneous, no fees either and the money is in your own bank account.

[quote name='stevie' post='964241' date='Sep 22 2010, 11:08 AM']I just tried to make a payment to a fellow Basschatter using the usual "gift" option and they've now changed it. It looks like they won't let you transfer funds for free any more. I expect Ebay is not making enough money.[/quote]
The personal payment/gift option's still there, just checked. I sent a tenner yesterday as a gift, worked no problem.

Jon.

[quote name='Beedster' post='964328' date='Sep 22 2010, 12:03 PM']every time I've claimed in time I've been paid, both quickly and in full.[/quote]
Me too...or the seller has suddenly decided to stop being an ar*e

I've been asked for fees once for gifting money but I didn't mind. It rarely does & I don't know why it did that time

[quote name='stevie' post='964294' date='Sep 22 2010, 11:46 AM']There's always bank to bank transfer but I'm a bit wary about giving a complete stranger my bank account details.[/quote]

You do that every time you write a cheque. In fact, there's more information printed on a personal cheque than is usually required for direct bank transfer.

[quote name='tom1946' post='967321' date='Sep 25 2010, 08:55 AM']Interesting to note that if I paid money into your paypal account, you would pay the charges, not me :)

I won't ever use payscam again.[/quote]

I think that brings us back to the start, gift is the other way round, hence it's popularity amongst people here who wish to pay by paypal instead of free options offered by the seller.