Why become a member? ×

NYC Sadowsky at Guitar Guitar!!!

CHRISDABASS

[url="http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=10083111474529"]http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars...=10083111474529[/url]

[url="http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=10083111382129"]http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars...=10083111382129[/url]

I think these are the first ive seen in a shop in the UK!

:)

Yeah very expensive but the NYCs are the generally custom made for the person ordering them. Much like any high end stuff its only really worth getting one if you like the inherent tone and concept behind the basses. Not everyone likes the Sadowsky sound and just think of them as highly-priced Fenders with the character taken out. If you want a Fender you should get a Fender.

Must say though that I do really like the Metro I got, though given the recent upward surge in their prices I can't say I would buy one at the current prices (I got mine for £1500 which is pretty much the upward limit of what I could spend or would spend on the Metro line, considering the the amount of really good basses available for £1000-1500. If you just want a really good bass you can easily look elsewhere, but only a Sadowsky sounds like a Sadowsky in my opinion.

Of course once I actually bought the thing Fender launch the US deluxe series which seem to very similar in style to the Sadowskys (I know the Sad is essentially Fender shaped but the new Fender Deluxes are a lot more 'refined' looking than they used to be). However, I still think that the preamp and bite of the Sadowskys is something I really like.

If I was putting all that money into an NYC I would probably go direct to have the exact specs I want. I think that the Will Lee models are the most expensive anyway due to having a slightly different pre-amp, neck and body shape, so I'm guessing they would be more expensive than many other NYC models.

[quote name='JTUK' post='962976' date='Sep 21 2010, 09:05 AM']Silly money for production basses, IMV.[/quote]

It is going that way. Thye didnt used to be so highly in demand which meant I could understand the high price tag. Now, they are churning them out.

It makes a new Musicman seem cheap and they are all built and checked in the USA. Ive only had one with an issue and that was more down to a new model I think.

Btw, off topic, but GuitarGuitar are expensive anyway. I went to ask them for a box yesterday, (they had a lot hanging around) and they wanted £5.00, even for a scruffy one. So I went to the Windows Music shop and they gave me one for free....then I just picked up some spare card at an office nearby.

Those NYCs are hung up for everyone to play. There is no chance Id want one after its been played like mad at that price.

I reckon the only way i'd buy another NYC is either direct from Sadowsky or second hand

I'd say the only way to buy a metro is to get a used one! Much better value for money for around £1000 :)

Lets not forget how much the exchange rate affects these inflated prices!

Edited by CHRISDABASS

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='963138' date='Sep 21 2010, 11:23 AM']I reckon the only way i'd buy another NYC is either direct from Sadowsky or second hand

I'd say the only way to buy a metro is to get a used one! Much better value for money for around £1000 :)

Lets not forget how much the exchange rate affects these inflated prices![/quote]

I would agree and say that I think the metros are THE best bass you can get for £1000.00

Pricing wise that's about spot on what you would pay if you imported that bass yourself. IOW, if its what you want, you won't get it any cheaper direct from Sadowsky.

Current Retail on a base NYC Will Lee $3975
Add: Maple top (assuming its not "Master Grade"): $300
Add: Standard Sadowsky shipping charge to UK: $200

Total direct cost from Sadowsky: $4475

Current exchange rate (assuming you can get mid-market, you can't): 0.644

Cost in GBP: £2888

Add VAT and fees on import at 20%: £576

Total cost to your door in GBP: £3464

Basically, the additional cost of buying from that shop is about £35 and you get it shipped to you next day rather than having it sit through customs. Now, I can't comment on whether the price of Sadowskys is fair (but I own one), but that price in that shop is pretty darn good all things considered.

I think the real issue I have with them is that I've never been amazed with Sadowsky basses. I've tried a bunch of the Metros that have come through Guitar Guitar and quite frankly, there have usually been better Fenders in the shop! Similarly, having played the NYC basses I can see that they are reasonably well put together but definitely not something I'd ever dream of paying £3000 for! But I suppose that takes us back down the "what is a jazz bass worth" road...

I also find the production bass comment interesting, how else would you like the bass to be produced??

The fact that all wood is hand selected by Roger Sadowky and sent to some of the best people in the busines to be CNC'd ensures that your getting the very best end product thats put together by highly skilled craftsmen!

They're not just parts bought in and thrown together, even if they were the end product speaks for its self, pick one up and play it, the sound may not be for everyone but you cant argue with the quality and accuracy of construction

[quote name='Chris2112' post='963153' date='Sep 21 2010, 11:46 AM']I think the real issue I have with them is that I've never been amazed with Sadowsky basses. I've tried a bunch of the Metros that have come through Guitar Guitar and quite frankly, there have usually been better Fenders in the shop! Similarly, having played the NYC basses I can see that they are reasonably well put together but definitely not something I'd ever dream of paying £3000 for! But I suppose that takes us back down the "what is a jazz bass worth" road...[/quote]

Good thing there isn't a law that requires you to buy them then.

Clearly there are enough people that are amazed with them that Roger still has a 6 month wait list for NYC's and has increased his staff over the last few years to meet demand. The "do I think its worth it" debate is pointless. They sell, people enjoy them, nobody forces you to like them...(apply that to any bass and move on with your life).

[quote name='Chris2112' post='963153' date='Sep 21 2010, 11:46 AM']I think the real issue I have with them is that I've never been amazed with Sadowsky basses. I've tried a bunch of the Metros that have come through Guitar Guitar and quite frankly, there have usually been better Fenders in the shop! Similarly, having played the NYC basses I can see that they are reasonably well put together but definitely not something I'd ever dream of paying £3000 for! But I suppose that takes us back down the "what is a jazz bass worth" road...[/quote]

I find this strange and wonder if its down to the shop and their setup perhaps? I have owned about 7 metros and they have all, without exception, been superb basses and way ahead of most Fenders I have played.

[quote name='Mark Latimour' post='963152' date='Sep 21 2010, 11:41 AM']Pricing wise that's about spot on what you would pay if you imported that bass yourself. IOW, if its what you want, you won't get it any cheaper direct from Sadowsky.

Current Retail on a base NYC Will Lee $3975
Add: Maple top (assuming its not "Master Grade"): $300
Add: Standard Sadowsky shipping charge to UK: $200

Total direct cost from Sadowsky: $4475

Current exchange rate (assuming you can get mid-market, you can't): 0.644

Cost in GBP: £2888

Add VAT and fees on import at 20%: £576

Total cost to your door in GBP: £3464

Basically, the additional cost of buying from that shop is about £35 and you get it shipped to you next day rather than having it sit through customs. Now, I can't comment on whether the price of Sadowskys is fair (but I own one), but that price in that shop is pretty darn good all things considered.[/quote]

Thats what I would have thought. Also I think that the fact that Sadowskys are more expensive than Musicmans is neither here nor there really, especially if you don't like Sadowskys in the first place. I don't like Warwick thumb basses or Musicmans, but I don't go around saying how grossly overpriced they are because another make of bass I personally prefer (Fender Precision) is cheaper. After a point, it becomes a matter of identifying what you want to get out of a bass and buying accordingly. For me the 'spend more = better bass' becomes a bit blurred after you decide that a US standard Fender isn't quite what you are looking for.

[quote name='Toasted' post='963145' date='Sep 21 2010, 11:31 AM']One of the most ridiculous posts I've ever read on this forum. Did you think before you wrote?[/quote]

hmm..didn't like the production comment..??

well, they are hanging up brand new in a musical chain. There are 2 of them and they come in different colours.

What would you call it..if not a production bass?

Jees guys calm it! Dont get so defensive! We all chase the same thing on here :)

I personally think at those prices, you are best off with a Sei, or an Alleva. Without a doubt.

The NYCs arent everywhere here, but they are in the USA.

I dont see, despite the fact I dont like how Lakland finish off their basses, why their is such a price difference on a fairly mass produced Metro cf to a Lakland Skyline.

All made elsewhere then checked and fitted in the USA.

Not a problem with that, but I dont see why they cost so much?!

I wouldnt mind, but when I emailed them a fair while back, I felt slightly miffed at the somewhat sharp and slightly off responses. Made me realised If I had a problem with one once Id bought it, Id not feel happy complaining.

I'd love to know how many metro's / laklands are made...

I know that the New York shop makes around 20 basses per month so its pretty small scale really!

You must have caught Kevin at a bad / busy time in the sadowsky office, ive had nothing but great service over the last few years and i always get helpful replies to my questions.

Edited by CHRISDABASS

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='963308' date='Sep 21 2010, 01:56 PM']I'd love to know how many metro's / laklands are made...

I know that the New York shop makes around 20 basses per month so its pretty small scale really!

You must have caught Kevin at a bad / busy time in the sadowsky office, ive had nothing but great service over the last few years, Ive even had strings, new volume pots and input jacks sent over to me for free just so i could try them out and i always get helpful replies to my questions.

:)[/quote]

I think they make Lakland Skylines in either groups of 30 or 60 according to the last time I asked them. Might be more now.

Kevin seemed fine, it was Roger who seemed rather, hmm, I wont say anything rude.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='963269' date='Sep 21 2010, 01:25 PM']Jees guys calm it! Dont get so defensive! We all chase the same thing on here :)

I personally think at those prices, you are best off with a Sei, or an Alleva. Without a doubt.

The NYCs arent everywhere here, but they are in the USA.

I dont see, despite the fact I dont like how Lakland finish off their basses, why their is such a price difference on a fairly mass produced Metro cf to a Lakland Skyline.

All made elsewhere then checked and fitted in the USA.

Not a problem with that, but I dont see why they cost so much?!

I wouldnt mind, but when I emailed them a fair while back, I felt slightly miffed at the somewhat sharp and slightly off responses. Made me realised If I had a problem with one once Id bought it, Id not feel happy complaining.[/quote]

A few things:

1. Roger's dealers arn't supposed to sell NYC's. NYC's were traditionally only available directly although I understand that occasionally he will sell some of his "in stock" basses to international dealers to onsell at the same prices. The point is, NYC's arn't available everywhere in the US, they are only available directly from the shop. The only ones you can get from dealers are used. From time to time there are exceptions, but unless his policy has changed recently, they are rare.

2. Why do they cost so much? Supply vs demand. Its kind of irrelevant if you don't think they are worth it. Lots of people clearly do and they are the ones buying the basses.

3. I've never had bad CS from anyone at the shop. Everyone has bad days though. My interaction with Roger over email and in person have always been excellent. I am sure if you compalined you would be treated just like any other customer.