Why become a member? ×

I love my Stingray

mcnach

what can I say... it really seems this bass can do no wrong.

I had a recording session today and did 9 tracks. Tiring. But would have been a lot worse with another bass.
I went DI and it just sounded right from the start. The idea is to apply some trickery afterwards to the sound but the raw sound was fantastic (preamp set flat almost all the time except once cutting treble a bit). The recording guy commented on how great it sounded a few times.

If this bass were stolen... I'd hunt down the thief and strangle him (it's always a him) with a low B string.

There is no stopping you now mcnash you are worse than the rest of us Stingray mob!
Strangley my pre EB was a bit off at a wedding gig last night and I swapped to the EBMM and it cut through a treat.It was funny room in an old mill and I think maybe it just needed a bit more mid control to get amongst it and its made me certain I dont want to move the EBMM on which is good. Have you seen the 3 pre EB's in the F/S section yet? Go on you know you want to! :)

StingRay ! Stingray ! StingRay ! Stingray ! StingRay ! Stingray ! StingRay ! Stingray ! StingRay ! Stingray ! StingRay ! Stingray ! StingRay ! Stingray ! StingRay ! Stingray ! StingRay ! Stingray ! StingRay ! Stingray ! StingRay ! Stingray ! StingRay ! Stingray ! StingRay ! Stingray ! StingRay ! Stingray ! :) :rolleyes: :lol:

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='961601' date='Sep 19 2010, 09:28 PM']There is no stopping you now mcnash you are worse than the rest of us Stingray mob!
Strangley my pre EB was a bit off at a wedding gig last night and I swapped to the EBMM and it cut through a treat.It was funny room in an old mill and I think maybe it just needed a bit more mid control to get amongst it and its made me certain I dont want to move the EBMM on which is good. Have you seen the 3 pre EB's in the F/S section yet? Go on you know you want to! :)[/quote]

ah, maybe you just need a JE mid sweep module on your preEB :rolleyes:

Played another gig last night (it's been a busy weekend) and again the Stingray didn't fail t paint a big smile in my face. It's just perfect!
I'm sorry if I seem to go on a bit... but it's been quite an experience. At home I still like my main OLP a lot, I get a nicer slap tone out of it, in fact. But when it comes to full band mix and live volumes... there's no competition for the Stingray. I think I may have to... sell (shudder) some of my OLPs in the end, especially if the soon-to-be-aquired SUB5 delivers the goods (I have a 3-band JE preamp in my drawer which was destined to my black OLP but the SUB5 might just take it if I don't love the 2EQ immediately).

oh... stop that... I can hear you laughing from here! :lol:

[quote name='simon1964' post='961850' date='Sep 20 2010, 09:16 AM']Fit one of the John East preamps. Amazing bits of kit - and really brought my Stingray to life.[/quote]

I second that.

I have the 3-band JE on my originally 2EQ Stingray and it really sounds great...

There is something groovy about the 2 band though and as Im lucky enough to own 2 and 3 EQ versions I will leave them as is.The more I use them it appears the pre EB will be used in my bluesy rock/funky rock band and my EBMM will be the main bass used for the indie rock/pub rock kind of stuff band then the jazz or maybe the P once its modded up as the second bass at each gig depending on the mood when selecting from the bass-drobe! :)

I was having a look at this today in Guitar Guitar Newcastle today, looks really nice. Price is steep at £1099 used but it was gorgeous.

Unfortunately, they were quite short staffed and someone buying an Ibanez Tube Screamer seemed to be wasting the assistant's time so despite asking to have a go on it, I left before playing it. It was in good nice though and I quite fancy one so I might go back for another look.

Edited by Chris2112

[quote name='Musicman20' post='970646' date='Sep 28 2010, 01:43 PM']Plenty of Rays in punk![/quote]
not the old school variety, the ray's just sounds too polite, the P fills the sound out better especailly when there's only one guitarist, to my ears anyway, each to their own as they say.

Flats on Rays are literally awesome. You still get the Ray sizzle but it is tamed, with more thump!

Lovely. Ive been trying the EB Flats (Group 3s) and they are fantastic. I cant believe how cheap they are. Nice medium tension, smooth thumpy sound. I need to bed them in a little still, but loving them!

Edited by Musicman20