Why become a member? ×

Banned Licks

JTUK

Probably done before, but here goes.

Many music shops will have a banned list up in the shop so if you demo a gtr or something, they will have a note saying no 'smoke of the water', sunshine of your love, sultans' riffs as they get them played to death..often badly, by all and sundry.
They really just don't want to hear them over and over

In the same vein, what songs would you ban or veto on a gig?
For my regular band, it is stuff like 'Sex on Fire, Dakota and Times like these', to name just 3 that should get the veto.

Deps bands are harder, but 'Mustang, Superstition, Funky White boy' etc are pretty there as well.

The point being..if you go to see a band and they are pretty straight ahead covers, what makes you GROAN, and think play something not every band and their dog plays here..? rant rant..!!

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='JTUK' post='957955' date='Sep 16 2010, 07:27 AM']Probably done before, but here goes.

Many music shops will have a banned list up in the shop so if you demo a gtr or something, they will have a note saying no 'smoke of the water', sunshine of your love, sultans' riffs as they get them played to death..often badly, by all and sundry.
They really just don't want to hear them over and over

In the same vein, what songs would you ban or veto on a gig?
For my regular band, it is stuff like 'Sex on Fire, Dakota and Times like these', to name just 3 that should get the veto.

Deps bands are harder, but 'Mustang, Superstition, Funky White boy' etc are pretty there as well.

The point being..if you go to see a band and they are pretty straight ahead covers, what makes you GROAN, and think play something not every band and their dog plays here..? rant rant..!![/quote]

Highway to Hell, Rock'n'Roll, Caroline, Whole Lotta Rosie............. Trouble is, people request these chuffing songs.. :)

Actually, just jumping on the guitar store banned list subject. As you note, classics like Smoke One The Water or THE classic Stairway To Heaven are songs that must NOT be played on guitar, are there lists of classic bass licks that should never be played? I reckon Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick is on the banned list. Any others?

Edited by Marky L

[quote name='guzzibass' post='957962' date='Sep 16 2010, 07:58 AM']Highway to Hell, Rock'n'Roll, Caroline, Whole Lotta Rosie............. Trouble is, people request these chuffing songs.. :)[/quote]

Only ever jammed Rocknroll...never ever rehearsed it. Have enever played the other songs..!! weird..!!
:rolleyes:

[quote name='Marky L' post='957966' date='Sep 16 2010, 08:02 AM']Actually, just jumping on the guitar store banned list subject. As you note, classics like Smoke One The Water or THE classic Stairway To Heaven are songs that must NOT be played on guitar, are there lists of classic bass licks that should never be played? I reckon Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick is on the banned list. Any others?[/quote]

anything by MK and Flea...oppps..there we go :)

[quote name='Marky L' post='957966' date='Sep 16 2010, 08:02 AM']Actually, just jumping on the guitar store banned list subject. As you note, classics like Smoke One The Water or THE classic Stairway To Heaven are songs that must NOT be played on guitar, are there lists of classic bass licks that should never be played? I reckon Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick is on the banned list. Any others?[/quote]

Peaches and any RHCP!

On the banned/band songs, this is a dangerous area - why are the songs mentioned so hated? The audiences want stuff they know and they still think Mustang Sally is cool even if we all grimace when it is suggested/requested. As, I'm afraid are most of Bilbo's most hated jazz classics! Comes down to whether you are a crown pleasing commercial tart (like me) or an artiste!

Sweet Home Alabama ended my, and indeed my bands, covers career.

I recall I said something like "We're four blokes from West London playing in a freezing shed on an industrial estate near Feltham. What the **** are we playing a song about Alabama I don't even like?"

That said we did play Mr Brightside and Sex On Fire for the drummers daughters 18th and it was a hoot but I'm glad I'll never have to play them again.

I went to a showcase a few months ago - about eight bands performing two or three songs each.

At least four of these decided to play Sweet Child Of Mine - all were pretty bad - and if I never hear it again at a gig, or by some wannabe in a music shop, it will still be too soon.....

As Arsenic said, Sweet Child o Mine - well overplayed, but never played well...

And my pet peeve is that almost every metal band seems to play 'The Trooper'. Maybe it's just that I'm not a huge fan of the song (I can name over a hundred Iron Maiden songs that I prefer...no exaggeration there) but every rock/metal group I see seems to play it! I'm so sick of it, I can't remember the last time I actually listened to the song of my own free will...given the choice, I'll always skip it, I've heard it FAR too much for my own liking.

[quote name='the_skezz' post='958095' date='Sep 16 2010, 10:25 AM']As Arsenic said, Sweet Child o Mine - well overplayed, but never played well...

And my pet peeve is that almost every metal band seems to play 'The Trooper'. Maybe it's just that I'm not a huge fan of the song (I can name over a hundred Iron Maiden songs that I prefer...no exaggeration there) but every rock/metal group I see seems to play it! I'm so sick of it, I can't remember the last time I actually listened to the song of my own free will...given the choice, I'll always skip it, I've heard it FAR too much for my own liking.[/quote]

It's funny you should say that actually because this band i'm auditioning for wants me to play the trooper lolz. I actually really like it. I guess i probably don't see a lot of metal bands though...

Anything by UB40. Especially "Red Red Whine".

I like playing hammy old (and new) rock songs. Times like these, Sex on Fire, Dakota (not so fond of that, very boring bass line), Sweet Child O'Mine, Wishing Well, All Right Now (not Alright Now, OK?), Sweet Home Alabama, they're all in the set list of at least one of my covers bands, in some cases two. Face it, a covers band needs to play stuff which at least is a bit familiar, otherwise they have the issues of an originals band (ie. no-one knows the stuff) while lacking the satisfaction that writing your own music brings to an originals band.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='958144' date='Sep 16 2010, 11:09 AM']It's funny you should say that actually because this band i'm auditioning for wants me to play the trooper lolz. I actually really like it. I guess i probably don't see a lot of metal bands though...[/quote]

Fair enough man, so long as you enjoy it is the main thing. TBF I think my feelings towards the song partially come from so many people around me insisting that it's 'Iron Maiden's best song' when it's usually the only one they can name ¬¬ Consequently, I seem to hear it way too much even when it's not being played at gigs :)

Edit: It was also the most played song in our old band, the guitarist had us doing it about three times every practise...at about twice the usual speed. No quicker way to knacker your hands than triplets whilst playing that fast...certainly helped improve my playing though!

Edited by the_skezz

[quote name='the_skezz' post='958159' date='Sep 16 2010, 11:24 AM']Fair enough man, so long as you enjoy it is the main thing. TBF I think my feelings towards the song partially come from so many people around me insisting that it's 'Iron Maiden's best song' when it's usually the only one they can name ¬¬ Consequently, I seem to hear it way too much even when it's not being played at gigs :)

Edit: It was also the most played song in our old band, the guitarist had us doing it about three times every practise...at about twice the usual speed. No quicker way to knacker your hands than triplets whilst playing that fast...certainly helped improve my playing though![/quote]

Well dunno if it's my favourite maiden song but it's certainly not the only one i can name. I've got 5 actual IM albums in my virtual music collection, plus "Edward the great: Greatest hits"! I always thought the most well known song would have been "Run to the Hills" or "Number of the Beast" (or something off that album) though?

And you're right about the playing, I can see why Steve Harris adopted the finger and thumb method, unfortunately it has to be a pick for me since I didn't fancy learning a whole new fingering technique and perfecting it to the point of being able to play a song like the trooper in 2 weeks! Murder on your Right hand though! (or left, if you're left handed :rolleyes: ) let's hope it improves my playing anyway, because I could really do with it...

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='958183' date='Sep 16 2010, 11:47 AM']Well dunno if it's my favourite maiden song but it's certainly not the only one i can name. I've got 5 actual IM albums in my virtual music collection, plus "Edward the great: Greatest hits"! I always thought the most well known song would have been "Run to the Hills" or "Number of the Beast" (or something off that album) though?

And you're right about the playing, I can see why Steve Harris adopted the finger and thumb method, unfortunately it has to be a pick for me since I didn't fancy learning a whole new fingering technique and perfecting it to the point of being able to play a song like the trooper in 2 weeks! Murder on your Right hand though! (or left, if you're left handed :lol: ) let's hope it improves my playing anyway, because I could really do with it...[/quote]

Fair enough mate...of course, I'm not chastising anyone for liking the song (though very glad to hear you've got a couple of Maiden albums, kudos to you, they're a great band IMO). 'Run to the Hills' seems to be their other really well-known one (when they were playing Sonisphere, I saw dozens of requests on the forums for that and The Trooper) but I don't seem to hear it played so often...I got my old band to play it, but I've never actually seen other bands play it live.

I'm sure it will improve your playing though...I stick with two fingers most of the time (can't do it precisely enough with three fingers :rolleyes: ) but it took me about six months of playing before I could do it particularly well. Good luck to you anyway, hope it all goes well :)

[quote name='Norris' post='958219' date='Sep 16 2010, 12:36 PM']Mustang Sally is so darned popular with punters. I've never met a musician (or drummer) yet that liked playing it[/quote]

And there is the point. We hate playing them because they are played to death either on the radio or by other bands. The thing is though, they are over played for a reason. People like what they know and love to sing along.

Mustang, Sex on Fire, Alright Now and Hard to Handle are all on our set list but without fail get people singing along and dancing. I dont enjoy playing the tunes half the time but I absolutely love watching people losing it and dancing away.

Thats why I do it.

(but yeah, anything by the Killers :) )

Our guitarist was obsessed with covering Black Night for ages, he would try and get it started every rehearsal. For a while we humoured him but it soon got old. I think he got the message when it got to the point that none of us bothered joining in.

Edited by Maverick

I think it depends what you are trying to do... just go out and play the standards and attract a crowd that way or try and do something different whilst it being enjoyable to you??

I am of the opinion that I would like to hear a band try something interesting rather than simply play it because it is popular. Half of the reason I started this thread is because I haven't seem too many bands until recently so I wasn't so sure what songs were played by all and sundry.
For this reason out goes 'Dakota' and 'Times like these' as they are hackneyed standards.
I can forgive..to a dgreee.. the dep set as these bands can be thrown together and not enough are organised to have a bass pad oe song book, full stop. Plus if the drummer isn't a reader etc etc ..then you can get into a reading mess with the results still sounding like a dog's dinner. All or nothing IMV, but that is another subject.

We tend to approach this by taking the skin of a song and the jist of it and making it work with the line-up we have.
Not looking to copy sounds or ape solos as we like to keep the playing element as high as we can.

We still can't get rid of Fooled again' though as it brings the house down, but then that is as an encore.

I don't mind a few numbers that cross-over but quite a few songs mentioend here are in everyones lists so really really REALLY want to avoid that.

If all the bands sound the same...where is the enterainment in that?