Why become a member? ×

£700 to spend on a third bass to gig with,suggestions?

al embic

[quote name='al embic' post='9975' date='May 31 2007, 04:20 PM']got the alembic(to heavy to cart rnd for long)got the gb,amaze'n alround awesome machine(thanks bernie!)just need something else to sit on the stand an have around.was thinkin ksd 70's jazz?anybody any thoughts?[/quote]

used G&L L2000 - covers all the sounds you're ever likely to need and then some.

DJ

Another vote for the Stingray or Sterling. I use mine to the exclusion of all others with the band (SR5 - slightly more versatile than the SR4, but similar to the Sterling, with a 3 way switch). I find that it always sits brilliantly, cuts through, grinds, is deep and dubby, honky, funky, whatever you want it to be. And I can't be aresed changing bases - it stays strapped on from start to finish, and does all I want it to do.

I never use my Jazz with the band, but on the other hand love playing it at home.

[quote name='bassjamm' post='10281' date='May 31 2007, 11:29 PM']A platent plug here...but i've got my Ken Smith BSRB Deluxe 5 up for grabs if you're interested?[/quote]

Very, very few ever made in that charcoal finish too, according to Ken. Someone on the Smith forum has the 6 string version.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='10408' date='Jun 1 2007, 09:59 AM']'Ave it!![/quote]
cheers for the suggestions,just sold a g&l asat,been looking very closely at the ken smith,it does look amaze'n ,played a similar bass in newyork last year,just that damm extra string!!!!!stingers are cool,keep em come'n if you can.........

[quote name='al embic' post='10587' date='Jun 1 2007, 02:59 PM']cheers for the suggestions,just sold a g&l asat,been looking very closely at the ken smith,it does look amaze'n ,played a similar bass in newyork last year,just that damm extra string!!!!!stingers are cool,keep em come'n if you can.........[/quote]

Hey man...it's a 5 string tuned E - C but i can re string it B - G and adjust the action no problem...keep it in mind!

That omnipresent Jon Shuker has some ready made "stock" basses for around that price..
Have a look through the galleries on his website.
You get to change pups and electrics and things to suit your taste too ..
[url="http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/"]Jon Shuker Basses Web Site[/url]

I really liked both. I remember the KSD (I tried the 70's one) playing very nicely. It had a jazz bass sound but what surprisingly powerful. I imagine it's quite similar to a marcus miller jazz. Very good neck, don't remember it being particularly heavy and would have bought one if it was a bit cheaper.

The G&L is a different animal. The neck is beefier, I find this type of neck very comfortable, but perhaps not as "quick" as a jazz neck. Not sure whether you mean the tribute versions or USA but they are nearly identical basses. See my review about the G&L.

Although the KSD was very nice it was a little overpriced, not much, just a bit.

The KSD was about £250 or so more, I think over £700, it was out of my price range. If it was the same price I would have had some serious thinking to do. I don't think it stands out head and shoulders above the other jazz basses in the same price range available, definately worth a look though.

[quote name='krazy_olie' post='13268' date='Jun 6 2007, 08:01 PM']The KSD was about £250 or so more, I think over £700, it was out of my price range. If it was the same price I would have had some serious thinking to do. I don't think it stands out head and shoulders above the other jazz basses in the same price range available, definately worth a look though.[/quote]

agreed.the ksd is very marcus sounding....but thats the kinda tone i fancy for a change.just sold a custon built g&l asat to fund it.also the price i'm paying for the ksd theres change a plenty from £700........ :)