Why become a member? ×

People with chubby fingers have a warmer tone than people with skinny fingers: Discuss

allighatt0r

Despite weighing slightly over a metric tonne my fingers don't seem to get fat, all that happens is my bass gets further away and I need longer arms.

I sometimes get a fatter tone by playing less with my fingertips where the callouses are but with my picking hand flatter to the bass using the fleshier part of my fingers.... if I want a really fat sound I use both fingers simultaneously as it helps to deaden the harmonic overtones of the string a little. And of course pluck closer to the neck than the bridge.

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='cheddatom' post='950337' date='Sep 9 2010, 10:12 AM']you think fat fingers sound good? You should try playing with your cock![/quote]

Didn't Peter Gabriel's bassist do something like that or was it a dried one he used, anyway it did sound pretty good.
Back to digits...
Andreas Segovia, more Cumberlands than Hot Dogs,

[quote name='Delberthot' post='950523' date='Sep 9 2010, 12:49 PM']Have you ever seen Nathan East's fingers close up? I bought his instructional VHS video back in the day and he has really wide finger tips.

I'm a big chap but my tone is quite trebly so I think you're talking utter kochwurst :)[/quote]

I'm talking tone that's unaffected by gear, so, if you give Pino Palladino and Nathan Watts the same bass, plugged into a DI box and into a flat PA desk, would you notice a warmer tone from Nathan? :rolleyes: