Why become a member? ×

Alleva Coppolo GAS!!!

AndyTravis

I've been considering this myself lately (especially with all these gorgeous ACs knocking around all of a sudden!), but there are very few basses I've ever played that have 'shocked me to my core' (to quote Anton Ego). When I find 'THE ONE' I'll maybe sell a lot of stuff, but at the minute I have a nice range of available options. I've only 2 basses I will NEVER sell (my Fender P was a wedding present from my lovely wife and my old Aria Pro II and I have been through too much together!). Although my Lakland JO is my no.1, if something extra special fell into my hands, who knows - I have a list of people willing to take it off my hands.

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='949026' date='Sep 8 2010, 12:31 AM']The AC shocked me today, i was very impressed with it and can confirm the Hype makes sense.[/quote]
I was kindly loaned a very expensive AC to trial and I've decided I won't be buying it, it doesn't meet my expectations. It's a shame because although it's certainly a very nice bass it's just not good enough for the price. $ for $ my used but immaculate Sadowsky NYC is better. It is "slightly" better than my Pino, but that cost less than half the AC and difference is only that the neck profile is a tiny bit nicer on the AC.

That's not the conclusion I wanted to come to, but thats how it worked out. I guess even Jimmy has off days.

Edited by Legion

[quote name='Legion' post='949212' date='Sep 8 2010, 09:23 AM']I was kindly loaned a very expensive AC to trial and I've decided I won't be buying it, it doesn't meet my expectations. It's a shame because although it's certainly a very nice bass it's just not good enough for the price. $ for $ my used but immaculate Sadowsky NYC is better. It is "slightly" better than my Pino, but that cost less than half the AC and difference is only that the neck profile is a tiny bit nicer on the AC.

That's not the conclusion I wanted to come to, but thats how it worked out. I guess even Jimmy has off days.[/quote]

I wouldn't necessarily conclude that you have tried an 'off-day' bass. Different players like different basses. Personally, I have had just about all the high-end 'jazz-on-steroids' you could think of: AC, Celinder, Sadowsky (NYC, Tokyo, Metro), Atelier Z, Fender Marcus Miller V, etc.

In my book, both AC and Celinder outperforms any Sadowsky or Atelier Z I have ever tried. But that is just MY opinion - not the truth :)

[quote name='BoomBass' post='949230' date='Sep 8 2010, 10:47 AM']I wouldn't necessarily conclude that you have tried an 'off-day' bass. Different players like different basses. Personally, I have had just about all the high-end 'jazz-on-steroids' you could think of: AC, Celinder, Sadowsky (NYC, Tokyo, Metro), Atelier Z, Fender Marcus Miller V, etc.

In my book, both AC and Celinder outperforms any Sadowsky or Atelier Z I have ever tried. But that is just MY opinion - not the truth :)[/quote]

I'm commenting on my opinion thats all. I expected better, I can conclude that on quality of construction (not tone, or feel) that it is not good enough, thats what I meant about an "off-day". I don't expect tone or feel to be universal.

[quote name='Legion' post='949240' date='Sep 8 2010, 09:54 AM']I'm commenting on my opinion thats all. I expected better, I can conclude that on quality of construction (not tone, or feel) that it is not good enough, thats what I meant about an "off-day". I don't expect tone or feel to be universal.[/quote]

Oh, sorry, mate. I think I misunderstood you, then. Didn't mean to be rude, BTW. I hope you didn't take it that way :)

[quote name='BoomBass' post='949242' date='Sep 8 2010, 11:00 AM']Oh, sorry, mate. I think I misunderstood you, then. Didn't mean to be rude, BTW. I hope you didn't take it that way :)[/quote]
None taken :rolleyes: AC are lovely basses, I'm just saying that like all basses - there are good ones, and there are great ones!

[quote name='JTUK' post='949455' date='Sep 8 2010, 02:19 PM']When you pay the sort of money that AC, Celinder, Sei etc start off at...you really have to be getting very good to great.[/quote]

As in the basses or the bassist?

My AC gas has peaked, as I got another 15 minutes with the same one today.
Once the 'what to play' thing had settled down, i really got into it, and it had the placebo 'makes me play better' effect on me.

So, i'm a bit deeper into the idea now, got some recording to do later (my last parts for the album) and i'm sure i'll be back in love with the Fender basses i use...until LozBass shows me a Celinder.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='949540' date='Sep 8 2010, 03:50 PM']As in the basses or the bassist?

My AC gas has peaked, as I got another 15 minutes with the same one today.
Once the 'what to play' thing had settled down, i really got into it, and it had the placebo 'makes me play better' effect on me.

So, i'm a bit deeper into the idea now, got some recording to do later (my last parts for the album) and i'm sure i'll be back in love with the Fender basses i use...until LozBass shows me a Celinder.[/quote]

hhmmm you could settle this once and for all if your friend would let you record one take with the AC...... compare the two blind and see where you need to put you money! :)

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='949693' date='Sep 8 2010, 06:05 PM']Well, yeah, i'd have to be sure i was acomplished enough to sell an entire collection for one bass.
Otherwise, i'd probably never forgive myself.[/quote]

one bass

and a backup

oh and the fretless

oh and the wife would kill me if i sold that one............

Would I sell my basses for one so called super bass..? Well, my basses are pretty damn decent anyway, IMHO, so NO..... but there is an AC on here that I would look very seriously at if I had spare money.

I would be thinking to what level would a new aquisition take me in terms of playability or sound.....or kudos ha ha ..!!

• 3 weeks later...

update...

Tried LozBass' Celinder P-Update, and i'm in another daze!
This really shook things up, made a much quicker impression than the AC, instantly fell over myself playing things with ease.

So, i'm going to have a think and decide what the hell i'm getting into.

The botique über fender has taken hold...

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='970734' date='Sep 28 2010, 02:50 PM']update...

Tried LozBass' Celinder P-Update, and i'm in another daze!
This really shook things up, made a much quicker impression than the AC, instantly fell over myself playing things with ease.

So, i'm going to have a think and decide what the hell i'm getting into.

The botique über fender has taken hold...[/quote]

Careful - you'll have them queueing up to tell you that boutique basses are a waste of money, and it's all in the fingers anyway.

:)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='971057' date='Sep 28 2010, 07:31 PM']Careful - you'll have them queueing up to tell you that boutique basses are a waste of money, and it's all in the fingers anyway.

:)[/quote]

Absolutely...so i'll head them off at the pass.

I've held and played so many basses in 8 years working in a very busy guitar shop (Trade shows, training days, product demos, factory tours) and the 5 years of pissing about with basses before that, I think i'm pretty happy with my ability to judge instruments.

As i've stated before the AC was not twice the bass my Jazz was, nor was the Celinder P 4 times the bass of my Jap 62 Precision, but I must state that they were both remarkably special.

I now feel confident that the boutique basses should be the way i'm heading, they are better than what I have, and therefore justifiably dearer.

However, it is subject to the law of diminishing returns, spending more and more money seeing smaller and smaller benefits.

So unless I win the lottery, i'll be scouting around the used market I reckon.

Also, the Celinder is pure filth...

£0.02

You're better off with one bass that really "does it for you" than a bunch of basses that are just good. Particularly if you are bitten by the GAS bug. Start the sell off and buy the AC. If nothing else, you will be able to sell it as they retain their value pretty damn well.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='971818' date='Sep 29 2010, 04:07 PM']The gold one tips the scales at over£3k, I'd really want it in my hands before spending that. And I don't know if Shorline Gold is my thing.

Hmm, a Sadowsky NYC is next on the 'to do' list. Trip to guitar guitar?[/quote]

If your ever passing the bradford area you could come n try mine? :)

Edited by CHRISDABASS

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='971150' date='Sep 28 2010, 09:57 PM']As i've stated before the AC was not twice the bass my Jazz was, nor was the Celinder P 4 times the bass of my Jap 62 Precision, but I must state that they were both remarkably special.

I now feel confident that the boutique basses should be the way i'm heading, they are better than what I have, and therefore justifiably dearer.

However, it is subject to the law of diminishing returns, spending more and more money seeing smaller and smaller benefits.

So unless I win the lottery, i'll be scouting around the used market I reckon.

Also, the Celinder is pure filth...[/quote]

That Celinder P Vintage Lozbass owns is something special indeed.
I played alot of Celinders through the years, and that P-bass is on par with my other favorite Celinders. Flankers old Blue Celinder fretlesss and some
J-Classics I played (and own.). I'm not a P-bass guy, but that bass had it all. It plays and sounds amazing.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='949026' date='Sep 8 2010, 12:31 AM']The AC shocked me today, i was very impressed with it and can confirm the Hype makes sense.

I like the Alleva paddle headstock in the flesh too. Never thought i'd say that.[/quote]

If it's the one I think it is then it really is a particularly nice one. Quite an early model and from the NYC shop made before Jimmy moved out to LA.

It's also been 'breathed on' by Martin Petersen which, I understand, made a real difference to the final playability :)

[quote name='SpinalTap' post='977606' date='Oct 4 2010, 08:28 PM']That Celinder P Vintage Lozbass owns is something special indeed.
I played alot of Celinders through the years, and that P-bass is on par with my other favorite Celinders. Flankers old Blue Celinder fretlesss and some
J-Classics I played (and own.). I'm not a P-bass guy, but that bass had it all. It plays and sounds amazing.[/quote]

[quote name='molan' post='977818' date='Oct 4 2010, 10:58 PM']If it's the one I think it is then it really is a particularly nice one. Quite an early model and from the NYC shop made before Jimmy moved out to LA.

It's also been 'breathed on' by Martin Petersen which, I understand, made a real difference to the final playability :)[/quote]

Both of these basses are spectacular. I think the Celinder was more suited to me, but the Alleva was ridiculous too.

Once i'm sorted, and all of my basses are gone...and we've got things straight...etc etc.

I'll be on the lookout for something like these.

Certainly be looking at Chris' Sadowskys at some point.

Looks like fate made the decision for me on this thread, debating whether or not i should sell the gear for 1 bass, and now i've had to get rid of the basses, i'm looking forward to the journey of finding one bass i'll have to work bloody hard to justify/afford.

In the meantime, old Yamaha may see some Posh pickups and a few mods to try and make it every bass in the world...for 50p.