Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Time for a new 5 string bass.

7string

I decided to sell my Carvin LB75 with it's Kahler trem (on eBay now) as I can't get on with the narrow string spacing, especially at the nut. So I'm looking for a replacement. My problem is that the Carvin is the only 5 string I've owned as many years ago I jumped from a 4 to a fretless 6, so I don't have much experience of 5's :)

I've tried a Lakland 55-01 and really liked it, but then there's Spector (including the Spectorcore) and others which I've probably not thought of. Not a fan of Fender or MM's but pretty flexible on anything else. Just need a comfortable bass with a primarily big, round sound as I'm a rock player at heart.

Budget is up to £750 absolute max for the right bass. I haven't got anything against used stuff either.

Any opinions/suggestions greatly appreciated. :rolleyes:

Edited by 7string

Thanks for the suggestions.

The ATK is a bit of a monster! I've played a Dingwall and they're great but might be out of my price range.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='944832' date='Sep 3 2010, 06:39 PM']If it were me with a spare £750 I'd have snapped up [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=101158"]this[/url] but I have a feeling [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=101069"]this[/url] might have been more up your street.[/quote]

I know what you mean. The Shuker went pretty quick which was not really surprising! I'm getting eager for the Carvin to go now though.

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='945061' date='Sep 3 2010, 11:20 PM']I'd just trawl the classifieds until you see something you fancy![/quote]

Yup :)

It's funny looking at a kind of bass I have little experience with. Found that the 19mm string spacing which caused me to sell my Yamaha TRB 6 string a few years ago feels fine on a 5. :wacko:

I've always been a Warwick and a Spector fan, but then there was that Shuker which came up silly cheap and the Lakland 55-01 in Guitar Guitar in Glasgow was surprisingly good. Admittedly, I didn't plug it in but the feeling of it and it's acoustic sound was great.

Played the Carvin again this morning and made some adjustments just to see if I felt any differently about it, but I really don't get on with it anymore. Sounded great though!

Edited by 7string

• 4 weeks later...

Now I've sold a couple of instruments, I'm in the process of shopping. A NBD is coming :)

I've seen the Dingwall Combustions and am really taken by them. I've also seen other basses like the Laklands 55's, Daryl Jones and then other interesting basses like the Bolin NS5's

Has anyone got any opinions of any of these. Any thoughts much appreciated.

[quote name='7string' post='968631' date='Sep 26 2010, 06:01 PM']Now I've sold a couple of instruments, I'm in the process of shopping. A NBD is coming :)

I've seen the Dingwall Combustions and am really taken by them. I've also seen other basses like the Laklands 55's, Daryl Jones and then other interesting basses like the Bolin NS5's

Has anyone got any opinions of any of these. Any thoughts much appreciated.[/quote]

I have a Bolin NS5. I have tried to sell it, but I just cannot let it go. It is light and the piezos sound like I always hoped piezos would (are you listening Music Man?).

Careful with Lakland. I see them like Fender. Get a good one, and its excellent, get a bad one (nearly everyone Ive played which is a shame due to the fact I like them) and it could be very heavy, have poor string to pickup lineup, have a poor neck pocket, etc.

I was informed Lakland are a step up from Fender with QC. I figure they are the same, eg hit and miss.

£750? Stingray 5....if you can find one. Might be a little more eg £850. Depends on age and condition.

[quote name='chris_b' post='969258' date='Sep 27 2010, 11:05 AM']Go with your first thought and try a Lakland. I don't know anyone who's had a bad one.[/quote]

I dont want to put people off in my post. Im a very fussy customer, maybe why Ive had bad experiences with them! I have tried to buy 4 (maybe more) Laklands and their recent quality was low. I have discussed this with a few other people on talkbass, and another chap has had the same experience.

I think the earlier Skylines were probably much better and greater attention to detail, (which IS necessary on an instrument that retails £1000+ and its outsourced).

Im glad youve got a great one, but for me the last straw occured in GuitarGuitar a few weeks back, and now Im not even going to bother trying.

Why do you feel the need to pick at my post? I'm not talking about my bass, just giving the OP my experience and view. My experience is that I haven't met anyone who's played a bad one.

The rest of us should be OK because obviously Lakland are sending all of those to you!

[quote name='chris_b' post='969356' date='Sep 27 2010, 12:30 PM']Why do you feel the need to pick at my post? I'm not talking about my bass, just giving the OP my experience and view. My experience is that I haven't met anyone who's played a bad one.

The rest of us should be OK because obviously Lakland are sending all of those to you![/quote]

Picking? Not picking, just developing the thread. I understand you havent 'met me' in person, but no need to be over defensive about my bad luck with Lakland. Forums seem to churn out 'the next best thing', and sometimes its nice to give perspective, thats all.

It seems from this and previous posts, you dont believe what Im saying about the Lakland quality Ive experienced.

Ill say it again, I like these basses, hands down they feel great and can look great. Its a shame I havent played one that had the 'fit and finish' thats hyped on talkbass. That is all :)

Edited by Musicman20

I find myself in a similar position - recently tried a 5 for the first time and really liking the low b - I've noticed for some of my bands songs its not always better to go lower but some tunes really benefit from the lower notes.

I'm currently playing a G&L USA that my buddy has kindly loaned me and as a comparison tried a few out others at GuitarGuitar

- a Lakland Skyline 55-02 which felt great, maybe the longer scale length, but I'd need a lesson in figuring out how to fine tune the eq as Im a P bass guy at heart. Played a Sadowsky and really enjoyed the tone but the price is waaay prohibitive - an OBP-1 preamp would help get the tone in a more sensibly priced bass. I also tried a new fender Jazz V and really liked the feel and tone.

Seems you have made your decision on what to spend your green on but and I look forward to playing the 5'er a bit more and trying a few more basses before officially taking the plunge. I also really enjoyed playing the 4 string after the 5. Felt like a whole new bass to me! A joyous thing indeed.!

Musicman20 your not alone. Iv played on 3 different skylines, the 55-02, darryl jones 5 and a joe osborn 5. They all had a few areas where the quality wasnt great, such as; a tuning peg was a little loose and finish on the body was a little rough. Compared to musicman where i have seen just 1 bad, i don't see how with such poor quality control lakland can charge the same amount.

to the OP: iv spent a long time trying out lots of basses and i know what i like and dont like so it might be worth investing some time into touring shops and testing some out. Or compare the specs of the basses you like that you own to other 5 string models and getting something similar.

Surely stores should see the problems with their stock before potential customers get their mitts on them.

Players shouldn't have to have their time wasted by poorly setup instruments or find problems like loose hardware and so on. It does get my goat :)

My wife is on her way to Florida this week and so the plan is to buy something there. There's still an advantage of buying in the US esp. if it's used or demo!

True,

I was playing with a Line 6 X3 on Sunday, and the "high spec" bass they took down for me to use was an Ibanez R5xx something.. (I play an Ibanez SR765 normally) and the action needed a good seeing to as there was loads of fret buzz).. I mentioned it to the assistant but he clearly was not going to do anything about it.. And this was a bass they had up on the wall for nearly £500...

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='7string' post='969676' date='Sep 27 2010, 04:58 PM']Surely stores should see the problems with their stock before potential customers get their mitts on them.

Players shouldn't have to have their time wasted by poorly setup instruments or find problems like loose hardware and so on. It does get my goat :)

My wife is on her way to Florida this week and so the plan is to buy something there. There's still an advantage of buying in the US esp. if it's used or demo![/quote]

[quote name='7string' post='969676' date='Sep 27 2010, 04:58 PM']Surely stores should see the problems with their stock before potential customers get their mitts on them.

My wife is on her way to Florida this week and so the plan is to buy something there. There's still an advantage of buying in the US esp. if it's used or demo![/quote]

If she's gonna be in Orlando tell her to check out Bass Central, its in Fern Park, which is in Orlando... its Bass Heaven...