Why become a member? ×

G & L

stingrayPete1977

As some of you know I dont get out much and have a knack of spotting sad things mainly on Musicman basses,The most recent one was the lack of fret marker on the 21st Fret on all pre EB stingrays (and other pre EB's I have not looked?!) Which is a great pre EB spotting tool from a distance and not noticed by some owners who have had them for years,Well there was another thread running recently concerning what we decided to call pre BBE G&L I think it ended on? And how it appears they could be next in line for a following,Get this Leo's been at it again! Early Leo era G&L no fret marker on the 21st again just to make it easy in the future for sad cases like me, He really was a genius!

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/G-L-SB-1-Leo-Fender-USA-Bass-hard-case-/300455531300?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/G-L-SB-1-Leo-Fender-...ents_Guitars_CV[/url]

Strangley I think this is the same bass that started the discussion off last time as I was after an early G & L to keep my Leo era theme going but I was after a P-Bass so it fits the bill,Pre CBS Jazz to follow one day.........

Oh dear I am sad arent I? Gary mac I really like it looks a bargain if it had MM or Fender on the headstock it would be double if not triple If I had a few spare quid I think I would be going for this as it keeps finding me which is often a good sign and as I said I would have a pre EB Ray and what we are calling a pre whatever G & L all I would need then is a pre CBS Jazz and I would have a Ray/P and Jazz all Leo era which has got to be good!

[quote name='gary mac' post='929295' date='Aug 19 2010, 05:37 AM']I've been watching that one and considering a bid. What do you think of it? I have no experience or knowledge of G&L basses, just liked the look of it.[/quote]

For what it's worth, that looks sexy as f*** :brow:

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='929204' date='Aug 18 2010, 10:55 PM']As some of you know I dont get out much and have a knack of spotting sad things mainly on Musicman basses,The most recent one was the lack of fret marker on the 21st Fret on all pre EB stingrays (and other pre EB's I have not looked?!) Which is a great pre EB spotting tool from a distance and not noticed by some owners who have had them for years,Well there was another thread running recently concerning what we decided to call pre BBE G&L I think it ended on? And how it appears they could be next in line for a following,Get this Leo's been at it again! Early Leo era G&L no fret marker on the 21st again just to make it easy in the future for sad cases like me, He really was a genius!

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/G-L-SB-1-Leo-Fender-USA-Bass-hard-case-/300455531300?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/G-L-SB-1-Leo-Fender-...ents_Guitars_CV[/url]

Strangley I think this is the same bass that started the discussion off last time as I was after an early G & L to keep my Leo era theme going but I was after a P-Bass so it fits the bill,Pre CBS Jazz to follow one day.........[/quote]

quite like to read that thread - when was it? got a link?

cheers

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='930088' date='Aug 19 2010, 05:46 PM']Oh dear I am sad arent I? Gary mac I really like it looks a bargain if it had MM or Fender on the headstock it would be double if not triple If I had a few spare quid I think I would be going for this as it keeps finding me which is often a good sign and as I said I would have a pre EB Ray and what we are calling a pre whatever G & L all I would need then is a pre CBS Jazz and I would have a Ray/P and Jazz all Leo era which has got to be good![/quote]

So, worth a punt then Pete?

I really like the look of it, just wary of buying instruments without trying first. Do you think the quality control is more consistent than with Fenders?

[quote name='Jigster' post='929733' date='Aug 19 2010, 01:12 PM']As confirmed on my 1983 SB-2

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/49793253@N07/sets/72157624759133380/show/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/49793253@N07/...759133380/show/[/url][/quote]

Nice one! :) Why did they ruin the headstock on the newer ones?

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='931220' date='Aug 20 2010, 06:40 PM']and I like the newer headstocks with the eye gouger :)[/quote]

Theres always one!

Seriously though they are all really cool,Up to what year are we classing as the pre BBE was it? (What does that stand for?) It must be a Leo thing by the looks of things quite strange me thinks, Although us bassists should not be up the dusty end anyway because a guitarist told me so! :rolleyes:

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Dot at the 21st on the Trib L2500, but not on the US L2000. Not sure of the year of either, but both are 90's models, and the L2000 is older with the 3 bolt neck plate.

Edit; both are of course 2000s models, I was rather drunk when I posted this last night :) . Edited by Rayman

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='931174' date='Aug 20 2010, 05:53 PM']Cool,Keep them coming folks anyone got newer than 97 then without a Dot? Do any asats have them? And what about the side of the neck?
I really think the Classic Ray should of come without the dot but with the side marker just as a nod to the original but without copying totally.[/quote]

2002 L2000 with no dot:

Doesn't look like there's a side dot either.

I wasnt expecting anything that late to have no dot? What year are we thinking dots came in then and the gouger is up for debate now as Leo was still alive (just) for sure when it came in,maybe thats what did it!

Sibob I was after you the other day,how did you get on with that pre EB on gumtree? I found it and recognised it to be the same one you were looking at but got no reply from the email address.It was very cheap so Im guessing it was either a scam or got so many emails they did a bit more homework?