Why become a member? ×

Talk to me about the modern Rickenbacker 4003...

Musicman20

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='929833' date='Aug 19 2010, 02:11 PM']There's 2 of them in my local shop... (either used or new old stock ex demo or something, both of them are mint) pm me for details if you want me to link you up to them.[/quote]

Cheers GW. Im actually close to sorting something EBMM (again!) but I am still interested in at least trying one out for a while.

I think I need to look into them a little more before I even do that.

As per my profile pic....

I've got a 2008 Midnight Blue 4003. Q/C is not an issue on mine, the finish, setup and construction was all top notch. The bass is absolutely stunning but just to echo other people's opinions it ain't for everyone. I think some said earlier that they were marmite basses - that's a pretty accurate description IMHO.

Mine has all the ususal design quirks. The neck is huge - like a baseball bat, the body binding digs into my wrist after a while of playing and mine weighs a fecking tonne.

Then there's the sound....oooh the sound. It's incredible and much more versatile than people think!

In many respects there is a bit left to be desired with the design quirks but I love mine in spite of those things. It really is a bass that makes you work for its love but once you get there it'll be all over you like a sexy beast! :)

I was fortunate to pick up my mapleglo 2009 as new off this forum, with the original owner (a member of this forum with some very nice basses) playing a few and picking it out at the shop as the best of the batch they got in, he then found his dream chris squire ric and sold his new purchase to me to fund it.

It as someone else said, was my boyhood dream bass, and really is utterly fantastic and totally unlike anything else sound and tone wise

It is however something I only take when it is not a squeeze the band into a small space gig, as I don't want to sword fight the neck with another guitar or mic stand

But I do love it when I take it, but being unlike anything ive ever owned (mainly fender/MM style) took some getting used to, i was not sure at first, but am sold on it now!

I have to say now though, that its only draw back is that I like to rest my forearm on the body for finger style, and its not chamfered like a fender is, but you get used to it

Apart from that, its fantastic

Having said that I am really craving another MM, so may pass this on to fund that crave if it continues, mainly because although I love it, I will rarely gig it as its mint

[quote name='Starless' date='Aug 19 2010, 01:50 PM' post='929796']
That has got be the most euphemistic decription of that tangled heap of junk I have ever heard.

Just for the record "remarkable" does not imply approval. For clarification it is "remarkable" that RIC have not bothered to do anything about its serious limitations :)

[quote name='ead' post='930161' date='Aug 19 2010, 06:44 PM']Just for the record "remarkable" does not imply approval. For clarification it is "remarkable" that RIC have not bothered to do anything about its serious limitations :)[/quote]

Not with the 4003, but you could argue they've updated the quirks / limitations with the 4004. That's a much more "normal" design with a standard bridge, no pickup cover etc. But Ric sell far fewer of them!

[quote name='simon1964' post='930176' date='Aug 19 2010, 06:56 PM']Not with the 4003, but you could argue they've updated the quirks / limitations with the 4004. That's a much more "normal" design with a standard bridge, no pickup cover etc. But Ric sell far fewer of them![/quote]

Yes, the 4004 is not classic Ric, and so is competing for buyers from a standing start so to speak, unlike the 4003, which you will a buyer will consider with the image of the bass already sold

Unless you dislike the tones that a 4003 puts out, then you would have to be a very special player to argue that its limitations limit you, it can do a lot

I have left the pick up cover on, it did bug me to start with (as did the one that came on my jazz) but ive got used to it being there now

Tried one today in Soundslive as I was passing.

Oh heck, not my thing at all. Just felt hollow and low on 'ommph'.

I think they definitely are a marmite bass. Still look fantastic, but the parts (just by looking at them) are not that great.

Stingray 2 Band EQ smoked it...£600 less and just had gobs of tone.

I really am stuck in Precision/Stingray/Jazz world im afraid.

Edited by Musicman20

I just love the sound of Ricky basses, all my favourite bass players have used them when I was growing into rock music as a kid - I was a huge fan of Chris Squire, Geddy Lee, then later the Jam, I found out they all played Rick basses most of the time, just love the sound.
Then when I played a real one for the first time I was full of nervous reverence, looking back now I found them sadly quirky (yes that word again...)not really comfy to play but so very cool and I still really want one; for the joy of owning a huge rock icon, I'd just rather play an EBMM or a Jazz bass, they suit me a lot more. Gutted, really. :)

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='929552' date='Aug 19 2010, 11:12 AM']Just as a matter of interest - anyone got or tried a fretless Rick, 4001 or 4003?

I still sort of hanker after a Rick, having tried a fretted one absolutely yonks ago at a guitar shop in Bradford. I just found the neck and sound perfect for me, but there was no way I could even remotely afford one then.[/quote]

You could speak to Shaggy, as he is one of the few people to own a Ric FL...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=99327"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=99327[/url]

for some piccies :)

[quote name='Stag' post='931107' date='Aug 20 2010, 04:32 PM']You could speak to Shaggy, as he is one of the few people to own a Ric FL...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=99327"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=99327[/url]

for some piccies :)[/quote]

I had a 4001FL. HAted it. It was a very weak fretless sound.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='931066' date='Aug 20 2010, 04:03 PM']Tried one today in Soundslive as I was passing.

Oh heck, not my thing at all. Just felt hollow and low on 'ommph'.

I think they definitely are a marmite bass. Still look fantastic, but the parts (just by looking at them) are not that great.

Stingray 2 Band EQ smoked it...£600 less and just had gobs of tone.

I really am stuck in Precision/Stingray/Jazz world im afraid.[/quote]

Oh dear thats what I thought you would say once you tried one!
EBS_freak had a loan of one (1978 firglo, Gorgeous!)both of us tried gigging with it but I cant imagine anyone from the Fender/MM camp getting used to it,Sure I have a good rig and is anyone going to suggest EBS_freaks rig is below standard here? but why should you have to rely on the rig for a great sound? Flat,weak and lifeless (Is that a hair product advert?).It had a ridge all the way down either side of the neck where they appear to of made the fretboard too wide for the neck and slapped it on anyway,No good for slapping ,No good for muted swing style,Bits of metal in the way everywhere,Sticks in your arm even more than a slab body pre EBMM as the edges are sharp rather than rounded like my pre.Looks brilliant and if money was no object I would of bought it anyway as the price was quite good too but certainley not for me im affraid and for someone like you that has had objections to QC and limitations of instruments before I think it was a none starter. :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='932835' date='Aug 22 2010, 04:02 PM']Oh dear thats what I thought you would say once you tried one!
EBS_freak had a loan of one (1978 firglo, Gorgeous!)both of us tried gigging with it but I cant imagine anyone from the Fender/MM camp getting used to it,Sure I have a good rig and is anyone going to suggest EBS_freaks rig is below standard here? but why should you have to rely on the rig for a great sound? Flat,weak and lifeless (Is that a hair product advert?).It had a ridge all the way down either side of the neck where they appear to of made the fretboard too wide for the neck and slapped it on anyway,No good for slapping ,No good for muted swing style,Bits of metal in the way everywhere,Sticks in your arm even more than a slab body pre EBMM as the edges are sharp rather than rounded like my pre.Looks brilliant and if money was no object I would of bought it anyway as the price was quite good too but certainley not for me im affraid and for someone like you that has had objections to QC and limitations of instruments before I think it was a none starter. :)[/quote]

Too true.

I noticed poor fret work as soon as I picked it up.

That metal pickup cover looks great, but stops you enjoying the instrument.

[quote name='simon1964' post='928762' date='Aug 18 2010, 04:15 PM']But they are very quirky in terms of both sound and playability, especially if you play fingerstyle. Also the neck profile is completely different to anything alse I've played. I love them, but I do know people who find them awkward or uncomfortable to play.[/quote]

+ 1, I loved the neck on mine but it was WIDE :)

[quote name='Stag' post='931107' date='Aug 20 2010, 04:32 PM']You could speak to Shaggy, as he is one of the few people to own a Ric FL...

for some piccies :)[/quote]

see last post on that link :rolleyes: