Why become a member? ×

fender roadworn

gary mac

I've tried out a couple of mexican roadworn precisions in recent weeks and got to say I've been really impressed.

Up until now I've always thought the relicing thing a bit naff, but have to admit to coming around to liking it now. Also like the thought of not having to worry about collecting scars and dings when gigging.

Not sure how I feel about paying £870 for a mexican instrument, but maybe that's me being a bit snobby. After all the build quality seemed very good and it wasn't heavy. Sounded pleasing both unplugged and plugged.

But I've also tried a couple of American Standard Precisions and Jazzes, which I loved. So, I don't know, some contemplation and saving required.
Meanwhile opinions from owners would be appreciated.

All the best, Gary.

[quote name='gary mac' post='925740' date='Aug 15 2010, 06:36 PM']Not sure how I feel about paying £870 for a mexican instrument[/quote]

I would feel like a bit of a mug considering you can get them for £700:

[url="http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=fender+road+worn+precision&hl=en&scoring=p"]http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=fender+...n&scoring=p[/url]

Aren't they the same as the Mex 50's reissues but without the relic job? You could buy a used one of those that would have been 'road worn' by the previous owner, then use the money left over to buy sandpaper to finish the job!

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=98681"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=98681[/url]

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='Stacatto' post='926075' date='Aug 16 2010, 05:28 AM']The cost seems high for the aging![/quote]
I played one a few weeks back. It sounded very nice, and felt very nice too. The only thing for me, was that the aging looks very manufactured, and not like genuine battle-scarring.

I think with these, if you like the feel of a years-old bass (and it certainly felt like that to me) rather than new ones, you will probably like it immensely. When I played one, it had the same kindof mental feeling as sitting in yr favourite old battered sofa. It was instantly comfortable. Whether or not you decide that comfortability is worth the extra couple of hundred over the Classic 50s, when sound/playability is otherwise comparable, well thats a decision only you can make.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='925774' date='Aug 15 2010, 07:23 PM']Aren't they the same as the Mex 50's reissues but without the relic job? You could buy a used one of those that would have been 'road worn' by the previous owner, then use the money left over to buy sandpaper to finish the job![/quote]

Nope, totally different. Nitro finish on the RWs poly on the 50s RI.

[quote name='gary mac' post='925740' date='Aug 15 2010, 06:36 PM']Not sure how I feel about paying £870 for a mexican instrument, but maybe that's me being a bit snobby. After all the build quality seemed very good and it wasn't heavy. Sounded pleasing both unplugged and plugged.[/quote]

This anti Mexican snobbery is a bit weird as nobody thinks twice about the Lakland Skylines being Indonesian and more expensive then the RWs (I demoed my RW against a Lakland Glaub and a Standard Mex 50s RI, the RW was easily the best IMO).

I have been very happy with my RW P Bass, OK some of the relicing is a bit cheesy (cigarette burn on the headstock, just nasty) but the feel and sound far outweigh any of the aesthetic issues. It has been said before but bears repeating, Fender should do a non reliced version of this bass (betterwoods, nitro finish, US p/up,etc) for those who don't like the look and should do a 60s rosewood edition too. This would probably impact the sales of other models though.

[quote name='ezbass' post='926133' date='Aug 16 2010, 08:48 AM']Fender should do a non reliced version of this bass (betterwoods, nitro finish, US p/up,etc) for those who don't like the look and should do a 60s rosewood edition too. This would probably impact the sales of other models though.[/quote]

Isn't that the HW1 bass then?

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='926156' date='Aug 16 2010, 09:13 AM']Isn't that the HW1 bass then?[/quote]

I checked on the information about US pups in the Roadworn, and Fender UK/USA both stated it's loaded with Mexican pups. This isn't by no means a worry, but does make me wonder why they cost so much more just for the Nitro/Relic work.

So in the end, the Highway One is a higher 'spec'!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='926156' date='Aug 16 2010, 09:13 AM']Isn't that the HW1 bass then?[/quote]

Nearly, the HW1 has a satin poly neck and is a more modern profile. I like the HW1, there just wasn't one available when I went out with ackers in hand as it would had definitely been in the mix.

On a side note I was recording with my RW today, I always forget how great a P bass is at bedding a track down and the RW recorded a treat.

i took the plunge and bought one last week - jazz sunburst - tis very sweet no doubt - am doing some recording with it this weekend so that will be exciting. I love it's feel, so easy to use and hold..last night at rehearsal our guitarist asked to hold it and he said it felt so easy like it was very natural - and he's from the other side -

sounds: got a sneaking feeling the pups, altho pretty hot, might be replacable at some point. Great honk and great Stranglers bass sounds on the E with a pick and treble and both pups up etc, very punchy also..but I don't know, haven't played it live yet...our guitarist is very loud almost to the point of irritation, but got a feeling the pups might lack some output????

finish/set up - great from the shop, nice action, and with a good string tension plays lovely fingerstyle over the bridge pup, no sharp edges on frets, and fretting is easy taking your fingers pretty much to the sweet spot between the frets each time

hardware - bridge feels tight, tuners (altho reverse to the usual) hold tune excellently

it's just so nice to behold and oodle away on and the finish is fake as hell but it just does the job so what the hell....got some battered 80's basses and a battered 2009 bass!!

Have tried two of these in P form in the last couple of days and really liked the relic feel, which surprised me. Couple of things were odd: the machineheads were so distressed, the were hard to turn and they also seem to have distressed the price way beyond that of a Mex Fender. £800?! Are they having a giraffe?

And while the bass felt good to play, I couldn't help think of those Vintage copies. And they're only a couple of hundred quid...

[quote name='Jigster' post='927803' date='Aug 17 2010, 06:03 PM']i took the plunge and bought one last week - jazz sunburst - tis very sweet no doubt - am doing some recording with it this weekend so that will be exciting. I love it's feel, so easy to use and hold..last night at rehearsal our guitarist asked to hold it and he said it felt so easy like it was very natural - and he's from the other side -

sounds: got a sneaking feeling the pups, altho pretty hot, might be replacable at some point. Great honk and great Stranglers bass sounds on the E with a pick and treble and both pups up etc, very punchy also..but I don't know, haven't played it live yet...our guitarist is very loud almost to the point of irritation, but got a feeling the pups might lack some output????

finish/set up - great from the shop, nice action, and with a good string tension plays lovely fingerstyle over the bridge pup, no sharp edges on frets, and fretting is easy taking your fingers pretty much to the sweet spot between the frets each time

hardware - bridge feels tight, tuners (altho reverse to the usual) hold tune excellently

it's just so nice to behold and oodle away on and the finish is fake as hell but it just does the job so what the hell....got some battered 80's basses and a battered 2009 bass!![/quote]

Thanks Jigster, nice tidy review. Will wait with interest for your comments once you've gigged it.

All the best, Gary

[quote name='Jigster' post='927803' date='Aug 17 2010, 06:03 PM']i took the plunge and bought one last week - jazz sunburst - tis very sweet no doubt - am doing some recording with it this weekend so that will be exciting. I love it's feel, so easy to use and hold..last night at rehearsal our guitarist asked to hold it and he said it felt so easy like it was very natural - and he's from the other side -

it's just so nice to behold and oodle away on and the finish is fake as hell but it just does the job so what the hell....got some battered 80's basses and a battered 2009 bass!![/quote]

They definitely feel nice, no doubts there dude.

Let us know your thoughts when youve had some more time with it :)

I really loved the P-Bass I played, although I'm finding the prices of basses to be completely ridiculous right now (not just the Roadworn, everything seems painfully overpriced at the moment). I thought that the wear and tear on the bass looked quite synthetic up close, but none the less it was a terrific bass to play.

Edited by risingson

[quote name='risingson' post='928229' date='Aug 18 2010, 12:07 AM']Everything seems painfully overpriced at the moment[/quote]

Sterling, also know as the British Peso playing its part there I'm afraid, I just came back from Canada where the prices were particularly spiteful because the last time I was there the exchange rate was $2.00+ to the £, this time $1.55!