Why become a member? ×

New Fodera NYC 5

margusalviste

Hi everyone! I just got a brand new Fodera NYC 5 (made in 2008 though) as a trade for my Noguera and I want to share my first experiences.

First of all - I guess everybody has read some bad talking about the issues related with NYCs, you know - the neck dive and finish flaws etc. I was first a bit sceptical when I got the offer but when I touched this particular NYC for the first time I got the impression that THIS ONE IS ONE OF THE BEST BASSES I HAVE EVER TRIED. And so it is.

The instrument is very light without any neck dive. In fact it balances so well that I don't need even a strap to play it in a sitting position.

The wood is VERY resonant which I like a lot. The neck is extremely comfortable and easy to play. Perhaps the easiest playing neck so far. The fret work was just amazing. I measured the fret heights with some tools and IT IS PERFECT!!! Never seen such quality before.

The SD single coils are very open sounding and alive which is also one of the aspects I like a lot. Together with Pope pre they make the bass sound tremendous. The low end is really thunderous while the high end can damage your ears easily. The mids are very nice and the bass cuts through the mix no matter how loud are the guitars. I like especially the passive tone which works both in active and passive mode.
It's extremely active if not agressive feeling bass. Even if you use the electronics in passive mode.

The setup (which was BTW the original set up coming out from a factory) was just perfect. I used my tools to check the curvature and height of the strings and all I can say is WOW!

The finish is flawless. It actually looks so good that my siblings who do not know anything about musical instruments were amazed.

I have had a number of JB type of basses including a few original 69s, several Sadowskys, Nordy etc. but this NYC looks, feels and sounds better than the rest. Well, should I say a lot better?

After trying a number of high end basses included Sadowskys, Celinders, Nordys, Alleva-Coppolas etc I still have to say that this NYC is one of the best among them. One of the best even among the expensive Fodera models I have tried so far. It's a true Fodera, even if they make it in Japan. Are they too expensive? One may think so looking at the simple design and short list of options. But considering the wood choice and the overall building quality I think the price is right even if these basses wouldn't have a certain butterfly on the headstock.

This bass will obviously become my main bass for the next period leaving some high end stuff in the corner.
So bass players, feel free to check out the new NYCs. They are extremely good high end basses and might surprise you!

I entirely take your point about attention to detail in the woods, the feel, the little craft here and there, and selection of stuff that can really make the bass.
Of course, this may not, in itself, garuantee the bass is top top notch in all depts. like sound, etc, but when it comes off, you should have a truely memorable bass, IMV.

This is what the best guys do, time and time again, but that is not to say that there isn't ever the odd one that doesn't quite work out, even then. But mostly, they can take it back and fix it..or you will have been consulated about an issue whilst in-build.

That defines the custom stage for me.

A big surprise to me, when visiting a custom sprayer..and at what level they would return a bass to the paint shop. I couldn't even see the blemishes they were talking about...!!

I know who I will go to if I need that job doing..

[quote name='margusalviste' post='919433' date='Aug 9 2010, 11:33 AM']After trying a number of high end basses included Sadowskys, Celinders, Nordys, Alleva-Coppolas etc I still have to say that this NYC is one of the best among them. One of the best even among the expensive Fodera models I have tried so far. It's a true Fodera, even if they make it in Japan. Are they too expensive? One may think so looking at the simple design and short list of options. But considering the wood choice and the overall building quality I think the price is right even if these basses wouldn't have a certain butterfly on the headstock.[/quote]
What do they start at, what cost for options etc ?

[quote name='Machines' post='919496' date='Aug 9 2010, 01:29 PM']What do they start at, what cost for options etc ?[/quote]

They are in the range of 3900-4500 EUR in Europe. Not much options because they do not make them by orders. But check them out:
[url="http://www.fodera.com/nyc/index.html"]http://www.fodera.com/nyc/index.html[/url]

Edited by margusalviste

[quote name='Machines' post='919496' date='Aug 9 2010, 12:29 PM']What do they start at, what cost for options etc ?[/quote]

[url="http://www.bassgear.co.uk"]BassGear[/url]Bassgear has three in stock at the moment - I know becuase I've played all of them :)

I dropped off some of my basses for them to sell & Phil let me have a play with all the Foderas (which is going to end up being quite an expensive experience for me!).

I had one at my house for a while and ran a few back to back tests on it against my 'reference' Celinder & an NYC Sadowsky. All three sound different (in equally good ways) but the Fodera certainly matched the other two in build quality & fit and finish etc. Really, really nice bass to play. in fact a friend came round and performed the same test and claimed the Fodera to be his favourite so that says a lot about how good they are.

N.B. The build sequence for these is:
Body woods supplied from the Fodera stock in USA
Cut to shape, routed etc & finished in Japan (by three guys who were trained at fodera in NYC)
Returned to USA for all hardware and electronics to be fitted
Assembled by the same team that make the custom USA instruments and set up by Vinnie, Joey or Jason (the only people that set up any Fodera prior to sale)

These guys really know how to set up a bass, each of the ones below was really nice straight out of the box!

Also - I did ask about options and you can get a choices of finish, maybe three different pickup configurations (SC / DC / PJ etc), deluxe versions with quilted maple (like the red one below), different fingerboards etc. They are just not as 'custom' as the full on 'made to measure' range, lol.

Edited by molan

It's easy to get the real Fodera sound while you add a bit Lows and Highs in Active mode and then cut some Highs using the Passive Tone knob. It sounds really like an Emperor or etc through my Epifani rig. In the same time it gets very close to a 70 JB when played in passive mode. I am really amazed. I had Celinder but while it was really heavy I couldn't get out the 70's JB sound. I even don't mention Sadowskys which were good basses (although a bit dull for some reason, btw i have had three of them) and Nordys. So try out these new NYCs!

[quote name='Larmer' post='920095' date='Aug 9 2010, 10:32 PM']I've always wondered about the string spacing on the five-stringers. 19mm?
Any idea of the width of the neck at the nut and last fret? And the thickness at the 1st and 12th fret?[/quote]

I can send you the details in the morning. The strings spacing at the bridge is in case of that particular NYC 19 mm, that's true.
PS! I really don't like the basses with 16,5mm or 17 or 17,5mm spacing. Especially when you have to change the basses during a gig and they have different spacings.

Well, it's all so personal. If you have had 16 or 17 mm string spacing and you've got suddenly 19mm bass it seems very wide. But having all the basses with 19mm string spacings makes you feel like in prison when you suddenly hit the 16-17mm bass. It takes a few weeks to get used to it but if you have to change between different basses on the stage it feels like a trouble. I've done that before and didn't like it at all. That's why I cannot buy 5-string Spectors although I like their 4-strings.

[quote name='margusalviste' post='920305' date='Aug 10 2010, 07:23 AM']By the way, as English is a foreign language for me I feel a bit shy to use it. Just wanted to know how different is my use of language for the native speaker? I have never got any teachings where to put commas or separatrix for example. Is everything I've written so far understandable? :)[/quote]

you are [i]shy[/i] to use it? i didn't notice that at all.

Personally I love that fact that there are a few people here on BC from overseas :)

I've bought & sold basses & exchanged views with lots of people I probably would never have got to meet in the 'real' world.

A lot of them have much better English than some people I know over here as well!

[quote name='dr1' post='920706' date='Aug 10 2010, 03:00 PM']that's nice of you,molan. pitty that people here hestitate to buy from "oversea" people. that's why i stop use for sale section... :)[/quote]

Not me, lol.

I've bought from Spain, Finland, France, USA & (soon) Australia!

Meanwhile I've sold to France, Spain, Italy & Czech Republic (maybe others as well but my memory is failing!).

I must admit that my biggest purchases have generally been direct from USA but that's just an 'availability' thing as I have a seemingly never ending desire for boutique US built basses!

There have been quite a few pricing issues with buying from Europe over the past couple of years but that's just the relative values of the Euro vs the £. European imports have soared in cost because of this & often make US buys more attractive even though we have to pay a high import duty.

Yeah, I think bassplayers should never follow the borders made by politicians and military guys. The bass players' community has pretty much the same values in every country. And the truth is - you can find bastards in any country and among every nation, culture or subculture. I personally cannot find any high end bass gear in my neighborhood (there's only 1 million people living in my country and perhaps 100 bass players) - everybody play cheap Vintage or Stagg basses. All the stores carry only cheap Chinese stuff. So for me or for the pro players the international society is the only chance to get decent gear and sell more expensive stuff. And I'm glad we have the forums like BC and TB in US. Hope we foreigners don't spoil your party! :)

[quote name='margusalviste' post='920305' date='Aug 10 2010, 08:23 AM']By the way, as English is a foreign language for me I feel a bit shy to use it. Just wanted to know how different is my use of language for the native speaker? I have never got any teachings where to put commas or separatrix for example. Is everything I've written so far understandable? :)[/quote]

Well, the best compliment I could pay is that I would not have noticed until you posted this.
So, no problem from me and I think you write very well.

The English language is quite resiliant to a few liberties anway and does not need to be 100% correct for us to understand.
I wouldn't worry about it at all... fire away and if we don't understand, we can always ask you to explain..no big deal.

You probably write and speak a lot better than a few natives anyway :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

[quote name='JTUK' post='920857' date='Aug 10 2010, 08:14 PM']Well, the best compliment I could pay is that I would not have noticed until you posted this.
So, no problem from me and I think you write very well.

The English language is quite resiliant to a few liberties anway and does not need to be 100% correct for us to understand.
I wouldn't worry about it at all... fire away and if we don't understand, we can always ask you to explain..no big deal.

You probably write and speak a lot better than a few natives anyway :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Thank you so much! :)

[quote name='dr1' post='920706' date='Aug 10 2010, 03:00 PM']that's nice of you,molan. pitty that people here hestitate to buy from "oversea" people. that's why i stop use for sale section... :)[/quote]

Don't take it personally- it's simply the exchange rate making Euro prices more expensive for the sterling buyer.
:rolleyes: