Why become a member? ×

Competition: Name the Function Band Name!

Sean

To get you all interested in helping me find a fabulous name for my function band I thought I'd cynically draw your attention with a competition and prizes, afterall it works for thousands of companies everyday! I need some help in finding a name for a function band so I thought that there'd be no better place to find suggestions than BC! T

We're having a real struggle finding a name that suits what we do and that ticks all the boxes that need ticking for the naming procedure.

A bit of background about the band:

[list]
[*]Female-fronted five-piece
[*]Weddings/Functions as main target audience
[*]Usual function band mix of rock/pop/soul/disco covers
[*]Based in South Wales/West of England
[/list]

The name needs to Google well, it needs to be easy to say down the phone without having to explain, repeat or spell to everyone. We'd prefer it to be two words. It needs to appeal to brides and mothers of the bride and it must be cool. Humourous names best avoided as are offensive ones. The .com domain name should also be available.

[b]A set of strings to the winning entry[/b]!

Get those creative juices flowing - good luck to one and all.

Sean

Edited by Sean

[quote name='Beedster' post='914815' date='Aug 4 2010, 12:38 PM']Oh man, you're opening yourself up to some daftness here :)[/quote]

I agonised over posting this, Chris. I can almost hear the ridiculousness coming! :rolleyes:

Not to be extra cynical....but does anyway care about the name of a covers band? lol
They're all awful....so pick anything and run with it :)

Si

(I can say all this because I'm in a very busy covers band with a very generic name....it makes no difference)

If you are mainly going for the cheesy weddings market how about...

'RECEPTION'

Too obvious? could muck about with the spelling to make it less confusing on flyers etc. Can always expand it if you prefer a 2 name title like 'Critical Reception' - see if any partygoers get the joke...

Edited by KevB

Part of me (the marketing part) says you should have a name that says what you do, or hints at it. and part of me says just grab two random words that don't normally go together. ie the Sibob approach.

The former way may get you slightly more clicks in a list of band names, as the clicking person will have some idea of what you do..
But... it will almost certainly have been thought of for another band or some other activity that's all over the internet already, thus negating the benefit.
The latter will probably mean your website comes up first when they google your name, if they know your name.

Either way you have to work hard to get the top slot in a casual search for a function band for a wedding ...

On balance I'd go for the latter approach as it's easier to be the only "Puce Pavlova" than one of the many "Soul Providers" ...

[quote name='Sibob' post='914829' date='Aug 4 2010, 12:49 PM']Not to be extra cynical....but does anyway care about the name of a covers band? lol
They're all awful....so pick anything and run with it :)

Si

(I can say all this because I'm in a very busy covers band with a very generic name....it makes no difference)[/quote]
+1 My function band has a dead cheesey name - Back in the Day. Why? Coz we play songs from...

Bloody awful. But it doesn't stop us getting lots of gigs!

[quote name='zero9' post='914871' date='Aug 4 2010, 01:15 PM']How about theband4all (theband4u already exists)?[/quote]

Speaking as an older person, and quite possibly the age of the potential mother in law paying for the wedding, anything that has a number representing a word in a text-speak styleeee would instantly get the thunbs down from me.

Same as Toys R us gr8s and produces 4boding and sounds like yoofspeak 2 me .. :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='914894' date='Aug 4 2010, 01:29 PM']Speaking as an older person, and quite possibly the age of the potential mother in law paying for the wedding, anything that has a number representing a word in a text-speak styleeee would instantly get the thunbs down from me.

Same as Toys R us gr8s and produces 4boding and sounds like yoofspeak 2 me .. :)[/quote]

Yup... good point, however, it opens up the possibilities of getting an 'original' name and a .com address.

Just food 4 thought.

Wil

[quote name='bigd1' post='914928' date='Aug 4 2010, 01:47 PM']my old band name
"Last Train Home"

I know it's more than 2 words but I think it was a great band name.

Ta very glad BIGd[/quote]

[url="http://www.myspace.com/lasttrainhome"]http://www.myspace.com/lasttrainhome[/url]

Tough game isn't it :)

No real sillyness yet? oh well ..

After The Naming Of Cats by T. S. Eliot

[b]The Naming of Bands[/b]
The Naming of Bands is a difficult matter,
It isn't just one of your holiday games;
You may think at first I'm as mad as a hatter
When I tell you, a band must have THREE DIFFERENT NAMES.
First of all, there's the name that the fans will use daily,
Such as Rockers, Blockers, 'heads or The Games,
Such as Wallies or That Lot, Trouble or Bill Bailey--
All of them sensible everyday names.
There are fancier names if you think they sound sweeter,
Some for the Rock band, some for the blues:
Such as Deathstar, Armageddon, Howling Chicken, Demeter--
But all of them sensible everyday names.
But I tell you, a band needs a name that's particular,
A name that's peculiar, and more dignified,
Else how can it keep up its singer perpendicular,
Or spread out its flyers, or cherish its pride?
Of names of this kind, I can give you a quorum,
Such as Munkustrap, Quaxo, or Coricopat,
Such as Bombalurina, or else Jellylorum-
Names that never belong to more than one band.
But above and beyond there's still one name left over,
And that is the name that you never will guess;
The name that no common research can discover--
But THE BAND ITSELF KNOWS, and will never confess.
When you notice a band in profound meditation,
The reason, I tell you, is always the same:
Their minds are engaged in a rapt contemplation
Of the thought, of the thought, of the thought of its name:
Its ineffable effable
Effanineffable
Deep and inscrutable singular Name.

Classy Bint and the Rogues
Silver Knife and the Trays
Advanced Bass Camp (a pun for anyone interested in mountaineering)
Last Orders (maybe better for a pub band, probably used I'd guess)
Sixty Fingers and some Vocal Cords (adjust number of fingers according to number in the band)
The Buzzards
Vintage Wine (sorry, I seem to have run out of silliness) Edit: [url="http://www.craigmorrison.com/article.php3?id_article=10"]http://www.craigmorrison.com/article.php3?id_article=10[/url] Serves me right for putting in a serious one)
Pint Glass and the Ice Cubes
Lonely Joes and the Mail Order Bride

PS: Weddings, Parties, Anything is already taken :)

Edited by Annoying Twit