Why become a member? ×

Do you consider yourself a BASSIST or a MUSICIAN?

xilddx

As the title says really.

Also do you see one of those terms as subservient to the other? Because I do. Do you prefer to be referred to as a MUSICIAN or a BASSIST.

I read an interview a long while back with a celebrated guitarist who I don't remember the name of, who felt deeply insulted when referred to as a "guitar player". He said "I'm a 'guitarist' not a 'guitar player'!", something to do with him being a [i]musician[/i] rather than an [i]instrument operator[/i]. Art versus craft perhaps.

[quote name='silddx' post='910060' date='Jul 30 2010, 11:12 AM']As the title says really.

Also do you see one of those terms as subservient to the other? Because I do. Do you prefer to be referred to as a MUSICIAN or a BASSIST.

I read an interview a long while back with a celebrated guitarist who I don't remember the name of, who felt deeply insulted when referred to as a "guitar player". He said "I'm a 'guitarist' not a 'guitar player'!", something to do with him being a [i]musician[/i] rather than an [i]instrument operator[/i]. Art versus craft perhaps.[/quote]

I'm a musician who happens to play bass.

I see myself as a musician whose first/primary instrument is bass. If I could only play one instrument for the rest of my life it would have to be bass. Fortunately that isn't the case.

My feeling of what makes a musician is someone who has a natural predisposition or inclination to make artistically creative contributions when playing, and who objectively discerns/chooses to contribute in a particular way (e.g. choosing one possible contribution over another) rather than purely fulfilling a musical function in the only way they know how.

I play other instruments so I'm a musician. When I pick up the bass I don't mind either is acceptable.

Interestingly you can be a Pianist, Bassist, Flautist, Violinist but you can't be a Drummist. If you play a drum kit and want to be an ist you have to play other instruments and become a Percussionist. Only kidding - there are loads of other instruments ie Trumpet where you don't get an ist.

Where does the ist come from anyway? I'm off to do a google.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='910103' date='Jul 30 2010, 11:38 AM']I would never like to be called a drummer. :)[/quote]

Well at first i'd say "oi, i'm not a drummer, I just play 'cos we can't find one" but people didn't get that I was joking based on the musicians hierarchy - The general public don't see drummers as crazy idiots, so i'm ok with it!

I think the more worrying thing is that the general public haven't been educated in the ways of the drummer.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='910112' date='Jul 30 2010, 11:42 AM']Well at first i'd say "oi, i'm not a drummer, I just play 'cos we can't find one" but people didn't get that I was joking based on the musicians hierarchy - The general public don't see drummers as crazy idiots, so i'm ok with it!

I think the more worrying thing is that the general public haven't been educated in the ways of the drummer.[/quote]

'Table drummer'. Now that's different. :)

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='910157' date='Jul 30 2010, 12:23 PM']I've come on leaps & bounds as a player in the last few years so I'm a lot more comfortable being described as a musician.[/quote]
Funny, isn't it? I'd completely go the other way. As I improve on the bass, I feel myself becoming more comfortable describing myself as a bassist.