Why become a member? ×

Can anyone name a bass matching these specs?

dirtystatic

I've been happily playing my Ibanez ATK300 for a few years now, but someones gone and thrown a spanner in the works. A friend of mine was selling an Ibanez GSR200, I'd read it was an excellent budget bass so I bought it to use solely as a back up.

Thing is I really, really like it. Looks wise - it does nothing for me and I have no faith in the flimsy bridge or tuners. But the neck is perfect and the range and quality of sounds is excellent.

It's my first P/J combo and I'm 100% sold on the idea now. I now want to invest the cash in a decent P/J bass but it has to match the following specs:

P/J setup, passive (with volume, volume and tone controls) and a rosewood fingerboard.

I'd love some suggestions if you have any!

Cheers!

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='908375' date='Jul 28 2010, 04:24 PM']i would buy this [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=96386"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=96386[/url]
you can turn the active on if you ever want it![/quote]
These are great basses but the neck is absolutely [b]nothing[/b] like a Soundgear! They're also very heavy, while the two SRs I've had were featherweight.

Fortunately the Ibby Soundgear range has been around for best part of 25 years and there are enough different models that it shouldn't be hard to find one with the right spec.

Alternatively why not upgrade the hardware & pups on your GSR?

Jon.

[quote name='dirtystatic' post='908307' date='Jul 28 2010, 03:45 PM']Budget is about £600. I've seen two that came close, one was the Fender Jazz Aerodyne... fits the bill but I'm not a fan of how it looks. The other is the Fender Deluxe P-bass Special... but that's active.[/quote]

The Aerodyne is A beauty...

As is the Duff Mckagen :)

Couldn't you just Get a P-bass standard or what ever you get for you money however much you have/ can find stuff and add a Single coil?

I was thinking about doing that,

as i've never played teh Aerodyne and doubt i ever will, (due to highland livin'!) and i can't get along with Jazz bass necks "/

I've always liked the SR500. Yes, it's powered with Bartolini soapbars, but it's a stunning bass for a mere £400 new.

On the subject of P&J setups, the sky's the limit. The immediate high-end ones that spring to mind are the new Fender Deluxe Precision which is a truly excellent bass & a used Sadowsky Metro PJ.

Within budget though, you'll have to look through the cheaper Fender, Yamaha and Ibanez basses.