Why become a member? ×

Guitar Shops

Sparky

My guitar playing colleague and I went and browsed a couple of guitar shops over our lunch break today and, as so often I am, was very disappointed with the lack of 'love' in the stores we visited. The first one was a sound control - lots of shiny new guitars and no mojo (expected).. but the second, a smaller store I'd hoped would have had more potential - lots of guitars squashed in - non franchise, but still, the shop had a distinctly frosty, solemn atmosphere. One of the staff members sat w*nking off a flying v busting out non stop rhythmless fast widdles whilst staring into space with a blank look on his face whilst the rest of the staff were sat behind the counter propped up on their elbows looking miserable. I asked briefly how much they sold warwick wax for and i got a grunt and then a price.. then, purely probing for a little conversation I asked 'how often do I need to apply it' and again, all I got was a grunt and a un-giving answer - 'it'll tell you on the tin'. Fu*k me - the guy was wearing an apron for christ's sake - surely anyone who works in a guitar shop and wears an apron should be gagging for a conversation about waxing wood??!!! I dunno, maybe the rant is unjustified, but what the funk - come on chaps, where's the love? I used to love going into guitar shops when I was younger and whispering to my mate 'look at that one, nice huh?'.. 'ooh, look at that 'stack amp', nice huh?'... shuffling round the displays not daring to touch and then buying a sharkfin plectrum... but now - gaining confidence with age and not being afraid to touch or speak to shop staff, I just want some friendly conversation, maybe even a little banter - that's not too much to ask is it? Oh well. My vote's with the basschat market place - Much friendlier that any guitar shop I've perused for a long time. Rant over. Friday tomorrow - WooHoo!

Edited by Sparky

where did you go?
it sounds like they're all going the same way these days.
i went into a few smaller shops when i was in Boston at new year and the marked difference in how you're approached makes you wish it was the same over here. people are interested in what you play, what sort of stuff you play and actually want to sell you something. i just think you're expected to sell the stuff to yourself in most UK shops.

[quote name='Sparky' post='100347' date='Dec 6 2007, 04:51 PM']..shuffling round the displays not daring to touch and then buying a sharkfin plectrum...[/quote]
I'd give just about anything to go back to those days.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='100382' date='Dec 6 2007, 05:20 PM']The problem with guitar shops on the UK is that they all sell the same generic stock for twice the price it should be.[/quote]
Sad but true; although just about everything in this country is more expensive than anywhere else.

As a counterpoint though, I was in soundcontrol in Leeds yesterday and the staff were pretty helpful. Although I did have to remind them that the aphex bass xciter I was buying they had online for £29. In the end I paid £29 for it, and was pretty chuffed.

I wonder if there's any north/south divide regarding shopworker friendliness?

Had pretty poor service in sound Control. Came in with £300 and my bass to get my first propper amp. They searched my gig bag on the way in, in case I made a switch, and asked why I had my bass, I told them. No-one ooffered to show me any amps. So I missioned to another shop, Drum Bank (which has a guitar/bass oriented bit) and the guy enthused about ashdowns till I bought one. When my driving housemate came to pick it up, he described me and the shop dude said, 'Ah, the guy with that nice Peavey bass'. Thats what we need. Also, big up Eugene in Rikkaxxe, with his bounless enthusiasm for bass. He does look kind of dissapointed whenever I buy guitar strings (for seorting other peoples instruments).

Well, we at HArtnoll's in Plymouth certainly try to be friendly and welcoming, greeting EVERYONE who walks in, no matter what. What better way to start?
And it's pointless blaming shops for the prices. They have to buy from the distributors, and they set the price. You can't run such a business on razor-thin margins, therefore the prices look bad. But remember, the Internet will NEVER be clever enough to be able to give you personalized advice and a chance to fondle the goods. THAT is what a good guitar shop can do, and it IS worth the extra to those who can't get a bass off the net then sdet it up on their own. If you buy from the net, then take it for a setup, you've lost any possible monetary gain right there.

I've only had one good experience in Sound Control and that was because I'd talked to the guy on the fone before I went there, with a "match this internet price and I'll but one from you" line, it worked, they were interested in what I used and what I was doing. NOT SO Most other shops including Denmark Street (ole Lunnon tarn)...... usually met with the vacant "man, your disturbing my spliff break" look and attitude to match....

HOWEVER......

Been to a shop in Lincoln I drive past regularly, F**king ugly big pink shop with a 10' Fender model in the window....
Well what a shock, I walked in on spec wantin' a set of straplocks, 2 of the staff were jammin on guitars and a customer (pretty young lady) was accompanying them on drums..... well impressed.... when they finished and I clapped.... I was greeted with with a smile, they couldnt do enough for me.... Loved talking about basss, and what I did..... Another staffie was in a back room selling an accoustic to student and *get this* he had 5 guitars in rack in front of the customer and was getting him to try them all!!!

They were interesting and intersted..... I shall be goin' back there when I need Fender stuff as they have lots of it.... (Bass strings were a bit limited but had inexcess of 20 basses and 5 2nd hand ones too!)

So on the whole I agree, but every now and then.......

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='100467' date='Dec 6 2007, 07:38 PM']Had pretty poor service in sound Control. Came in with £300 and my bass to get my first propper amp. They searched my gig bag on the way in, in case I made a switch, and asked why I had my bass, I told them. No-one ooffered to show me any amps. So I missioned to another shop, Drum Bank (which has a guitar/bass oriented bit) and the guy enthused about ashdowns till I bought one. When my driving housemate came to pick it up, he described me and the shop dude said, 'Ah, the guy with that nice Peavey bass'. Thats what we need. Also, big up Eugene in Rikkaxxe, with his bounless enthusiasm for bass. He does look kind of dissapointed whenever I buy guitar strings (for seorting other peoples instruments).[/quote]

Eugene is a fantastic bassist unfortunatly he is one of the worst salesman i have ever met. But i get on with him well and has allways time to talk even though i barely buy anything from rikkaxe!

I can understand why sound control search. If you knew the amount of money that sound control lose every year in Bristol then you would understand why they do it.

I never liked drum bank, Never liked the shop and the staff are pretencious dicks in my opinion.

My fave though is electric ladyland, Steve and i are very good friends and allways lets me try his private stock out. Sure he has very big problems trying to keep the business afloat, But if we ever lose him then that would be the last in the line of proper "gigging" shops.

[quote name='Telebass' post='100480' date='Dec 6 2007, 07:56 PM']But remember, the Internet will NEVER be clever enough to be able to give you personalized advice and a chance to fondle the goods. THAT is what a good guitar shop can do, and it IS worth the extra to those who can't get a bass off the net then sdet it up on their own. If you buy from the net, then take it for a setup, you've lost any possible monetary gain right there.[/quote]

Good on you for doing it right, but the fact is there's probably only a handful of shops in the UK capable - or caring - enough to be able to perform anything approaching a pro setup. It's a dying art, as most shops have turned into 'get 'em out the door quick' number-crunchers.

I appreciate that the distributors charge a fortune for stuff. If they want to charge that, they're shooting themselves in the foot and being very unfair to the resellers. It'll bite them on the arse eventually.

I visited a renowned brick'n'mortar shop in Newcastle a few weeks ago to enquire about the availability of a Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 600. 'We can do you a great deal!' they said... 'only £1600'.

Umm... whatever.

*skulks out of shop*

When I bought my Warwick from Andertons in Guildford I must have tried 6 or 7 different basses before I plumped for the $$.They also gave me a good deal on the Aerodyne that I was part exchanging,gave me the use of a strap,and left me to try out various instruments.Whilst it was'nt exactly the warmest of encounters they did'nt try to demonstate thier latest slap breaks or sell me the most expensive bass in the shop.I will definately buy there again.I do'nt think I would buy a bass off of the'net because I like to try them out before I part with cash.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='100376' date='Dec 6 2007, 05:13 PM']where did you go?[/quote]
Not going to say - my original post was a rant to air my FRUSTRATION at having what should have been a joyful experience spoilt by poor service, NOT to have a pop at any particular store (sorry soundcontrol - the franchise somehow makes a mention a little less spiteful?! any soundcontrol staff here on BC???) - It makes me sad that the internet Is having a detrimental effect on the number of guitar shops in the country and if I had a shop local to me where staff were friendly, enthusiastic and (back to my original post) more willing to 'share the love', I would happily pay the extra to have someone I could talk to and get advice from face to face rather than buy blind over the internet. I don't doubt that there are good friendly shops out there and it sounds like some of you are lucky enough to have access to one. I particularly like the idea of the shop Burpster mentioned where the shop staff were jamming together with customers in the store! Why isn't that sh*t standard in music shops??????????
[quote]Maybe it's because you're touching the staff...[/quote]
no man, it wasn't like that - the flying v guy was asking for it - he fell off his stool on his own... honest!.. :)

[quote name='Hit&Run' post='100453' date='Dec 6 2007, 07:21 PM']I wonder if there's any north/south divide regarding shopworker friendliness?[/quote]
Let's not even go there!!! I'm a southerner living up north and all that sh*t does my nut! There's the same percentage of friendly and unfriendly people everywhere. Fact. ...and besides, sparky loves everyone! :)

aye you should try the Aberdeen music shops (there are 2 maybe 3!) miserable, unhelpful and majorley (sorry spelling police!) over priced with very little bass choice. in other words....sh*te!!
i live above the main music shop in town and go in about once a week, just to see if they have anything worth bothering about and not one of them has said hello or anything, too busy speaking about some guitar or keyboard or wandering around the shop aimlessly looking for f*ck knows what!

[quote name='Shockwave' post='100484' date='Dec 6 2007, 08:06 PM']Eugene is a fantastic bassist unfortunatly he is one of the worst salesman i have ever met. But i get on with him well and has allways time to talk even though i barely buy anything from rikkaxe!

I can understand why sound control search. If you knew the amount of money that sound control lose every year in Bristol then you would understand why they do it.

I never liked drum bank, Never liked the shop and the staff are pretencious dicks in my opinion.

My fave though is electric ladyland, Steve and i are very good friends and allways lets me try his private stock out. Sure he has very big problems trying to keep the business afloat, But if we ever lose him then that would be the last in the line of proper "gigging" shops.[/quote]

They have a pretty funny combo of people in Rikkaxxe. Eugene is sitting there waiting for an excuse to play basses, at one point every bass had a sign on it saying ask for a demo. I brought my wishbass in for him to try and he sat playing it till other guy (Rich?) wandered over and cleared his throat in no uncertain terms. Selena is also in a league of her own too, I can't not smile every time I see her. Getting on with Steve in Electric Lady Land seems to involve agreeing everything is sh!t, and occasionally prompting him with something else for him to tell you is sh!t until eventually he lets you into his magic room with the actually nice instruments in.

Edit: rant spelling

Edited by Mr. Foxen

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='100538' date='Dec 6 2007, 09:55 PM']They have a pretty funny combo of people in Rikkaxxe. Eugene is sitting there waiting for an excuse to play basses, at one point every bass had a sign on it saying ask for a demo. I brought my wishbass in for him to try and he sat playing it till other guy (Rich?) wandered over and cleared his throat in no uncertain terms. Selena is also in a league of her own too, I can't not smile every time I see her. Getting on with Steve in Electric Lady Land seems to involve agreeing everything is sh!t, and occasionally prompting him with something else for him to tell you is sh!t until eventually he lets you into his magic room with the actually nice instruments in.

Edit: rant spelling[/quote]

Yeha rich is an ass. Hes totally up in himself and claims he runs the business as a hobby as he made his money a long time ago. He talks alot of bull, Plus when i went in their store room once a few years ago, there were alot of Fender and Squire decal' necks lying around ready to be put on certain bodies. I was ushered out of that room quite fast.

Its Serena not selina. I used to know the girl in school and she was one of the most pretencious/compulsive liars i have ever known, She is one of the "I am unique" ilk and insults practically everyones music taste. She just seems to glower over everyone and has no idea about instruments, How to play or how to sell.

I have known steve in electric ladyland for a long time, He certainly has his ways, but he ultimately knows his stuff. His 50's P basses are fantastic to play, We watch TV upstairs occasionally after the shop shuts and hes the freindliest guy in the biz in Bristol. You just have to be on his good side. I remember one time, One of his regulars wanted to buy a flying V of his once, Steve said not to because it was sh!t and the guy still insisted, So steve dropped it on the floor and snapped the neck, And said "Well now it really is Sh!t isen't it?" Great laugh seriously :)

However the guy was a good friend of steves and seriously it was a terrible flying V. Steve puts his customers first whenever he can.

Edited by Shockwave

[quote name='16Again' post='100536' date='Dec 6 2007, 09:38 PM']aye you should try the Aberdeen music shops (there are 2 maybe 3!) miserable, unhelpful and majorley (sorry spelling police!) over priced with very little bass choice. in other words....sh*te!!
i live above the main music shop in town and go in about once a week, just to see if they have anything worth bothering about and not one of them has said hello or anything, too busy speaking about some guitar or keyboard or wandering around the shop aimlessly looking for f*ck knows what![/quote]

Word.
You live on the green then bud? :ph34r:

I used to love going into guitar shops and feel like part of an elite breed but now I feel more excluded than ever. Unlike years ago when me and some mates were mucking about making videos and we went into a certain top Aberdeen guitar shop (which at that time was up Rosemount) and with the full cooperation of the owner went daft. He even pretended to sell us something in the film. Go into the same shop now and it's like your just an inconvenience for the staff to cope with until knocking off time when they score cool points off their "scene" mates coz they work in a music shop. Ugh...

Taxi for Mr. Meldrew....

Sound Control in norwich is always fine to me - the guys in there have always been helpful. Dont really go to any other music shops to be honest, ive bought an Ampeg from them aaaaages ago, an SG Gu*tar and a Ric 4001 (when they were Academy Of Sound) due to the fact I got good prices on all items and the guys there were good to me.

Generally I hate music shops - I hate the atmosphere in them and I really don't like some of the staff - some of my experiences in the past have resulted in me almost arguing with the guy in the shop over my personal choice of gear/boutique basses - with him being arrogant enough to imply that I hadn't got a clue what I was talking about and generally stating his views as 'facts' - when they obviously biased BS - that was in GAK in Brighton by the way...

I go to one shop only now for my bass stuff - The Gallery in Camden - the very best bass shop in the UK - full stop. No one is better informed, friendlier or better able on and one to one basis to give you what you want - and they are very competitive on price IMO. Believe it or not I have recently bought an Onyx Satellite Base station from Sound Control on Tottenham Court road - really friendly and helpful staff - and I also bought my KRK Rokit6 monitors form Turnkey as they had them in stock - and Thomann didn't - and they were on 15 quid more than online - so I thought sod it.

I actually can't imagine a more miserable job - if you are into to or work in music - than working in a guitar shop - I think it'd drive me mental.

Cheers

Mike

[quote name='BeLow' post='100426' date='Dec 6 2007, 06:40 PM']The other place is Manson's in Exeter - which can be a bit chaotic at times - but certanly some of the staff there are really helpful and although they obviously try to sell you stuff it is quite refreshing to go in and for them to say - 'Have a look at this I think you might like it .....'

As I have bought a bit of gear there they will do things like order me a bass without needing a deposit - or do their best to match internet prices whilst still doing a pre-delivery set up, or throwing in a little extra from time to time to make me feel like a ... customer. There are few place out there were they do go that little bit further and it works because I go back there.[/quote]

+1 for Mansons - Adrian is a top bloke and will go out of his way to try and accomodate - I've dealt with him for a good few years now and it's exactly the reason that I keep going back - shame places (and more specifically people) like this are the exception rather than the rule

Cheers
Dave

i was talking to somebody in PMT about a multi fx unit i was thinking about, can't remember which one - i made a casual observation about the similarity between that and single stompers only to be cut off mid sentence and told "no, you're wrong. You're wrong", and then treated to a five minute lecture about why - well it went on for five minutes before I walked out.

Well maybe i was, but surely you don't talk to your customers like that. Nobody in there ever seems to agree on the price of anything either, particularly when you negotiate a price on the phone ("yeah, just ask for me when you come in and i'll do it at [i]£x[/i]) and of course they're never bloody available so you end up with somebody else on the end of the calculator working out (or at least trying to) a new price.

which is a bloody shame really as the bloke who deals with the basses in the birmingham shop (Dave is it?) is generally very helpful.

Edited by john_the_bass