Why become a member? ×

Pain in the arm

Dread Bass

In a new band and its death metal. i am trying to learn the songs for the next practice on friday. got 3 and a half down out of 6. The music is very fast and tech so ive been practicing alot especially today, as its my day off from uni.

i have started to notice a pain in my forearm which feels like i have strained my tendons a bit. i have heard all about rsi so im a bit concerned. I warm up by doing scales and playing up and down the strings. is there anything else i can do to protect myself while i try to get through the music? i will rest it for the rest of the night.

thanks

Hi Metaltime, I remember you're post saying you had just got involved with a new band, Might it be a case of throwing yourself straight in and belting through the material, giving you some sort of temporary fatigue?

I'm not an expert and wouldn't blame you for ignoring my post but.....easy for others to say, try to relax while playing????

If in doubt best see an expert though. Hope it's ok.

YMMV but what I do is relax & play with a lighter touch & let the amp do its share of the work. I used to get terrible cramp in my forearm during gigs when doing a few faster & louder songs in a row during the second set. These days as I have the amp a bit louder and use a limiter I don't have that problem.

I can play faster and for longer with a lighter touch & don't need to hammer the strings hard to get an agressive sound. - I also use very low tension strings.

I also use a red gripmaster which I used to think strengthened my fingers, but I was probably imagining it as Jeff Berlin says they're no good - and he always seems to be so certain about everything. :)

cool thanks for the advice

i will think about relaxing. i always thought i was quite relaxed wen i play but maybe its unconsious.

For this band i have needed to adopt a three finger plucking technique and i think that might be a factor.

I dont play very hard but it is metal and maybe im getting caried away :)

[quote name='ped' post='99862' date='Dec 5 2007, 09:32 PM']My arm pain turned out to be a shattered disk in my neck, so don't much about - see your doc. Not that my doc knew his arse from his elbow, mind.[/quote]

oooo that sounds nasty...shattered disk in your neck :)

I see a chiropractor for my back and neck as it is. i was there today n she didnt notice any problems so i hope no shattered disks.

Its funny how an injury in one bit of your body cn effect another bit. I remember reading somewhere that your jaw can effect your heart but i may have dreamt that in a dentist nightmare :)

You say you've moved to 3 fingers, that'll probably be it I would have thought.

You'll be used to playing fastish material with 2, 3 fingers work different muscles which you'll probably need to build stamina on.

When I first started to learn to play with 3 spotted it (still do as I don't practice it often nor am I that good at it).

yeah i think tomoro when i practice i will get the metronome out and warm up slowly and try to stick to using three fingers rather than changing between the 2 im still not comfortable with the three finger thing but it is easier to play faster and i find it more consistant.

i agree i think thats what the problem is i thought i had got up to speed but i guess not i will work on that for an hour first today.

if anyone is interested the band are threnody: www.myspace.com/metaltodiefor it melodic death metal some of the songs are kind of like opeth i guess.

I got some problems with fingers last winter - I was playing just for few months then, and got blisters on two fingers, and when it mixed up with 'very cold and hot air' thing, my god, those "pumped up" about 1cm...

Btw, if it's hard to go with 3finger tech at first, maybe you should go with two for now, as it's your first rehearsal, as I understand, and 3-ger technique should come with time. Though, I don't think it's good think at all, cuz what you can do with three fingers, you can do it on two as well. I've tried 3finger technique, but I've lacked of... um, hand control :)

It seems these kind of aches and pains are really common for bass players. There have been a few thread about this kind of thing. I personally have pains in my wrist and hand, and it's made a hell of a lot worse by using the computer. I haven't found anything to cure it. I went to an osteopathy clinic for 4 weeks and they said that they couldn't do anything, and gave me some exercises to do. These are to strengthen, and loosen the tendons in the arm. Basically, they told me to get a can of beans, and keep lifting it with just my wrist, so that only your hand is moving - it could be some help?

Nothing to add that will help, but I thought I'd share a humourous anecdote about going to see the doctor with some pains.

I used to do a drivng job, that also involved a lot of lifting and lugging gear round in 'tall person unfriendly' environments. The cars and vans we were given to use were designed for people less than 5' too I think!

Long story short I got some really bad pains in the back of my legs and lower back. Ended up being the muscles round my backside and the tops of the backs of my legs. Obviously I was prescribed the usual pain killers, but the doctor suggested I take specific exercise to keep those muscles groups moving.

His prescription nearly had me falling off my chair with excitement.

"Lots of sex, as often and for as long as you wish." - True story!

when you say forearm, do you mean the lower forearm/just above the wrist sort of area? i always get a pain there when doing three fingers, especially when doing it fast, so i just use two as fast as possible, and if i cant do it that fast i use a pick.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='100437' date='Dec 6 2007, 07:03 PM']So I wonder what your would doc prescribe for people with hand/arm problems? :)[/quote]

lol, yes... quite... Thankfully I didn't have to find that one out!