Why become a member? ×

My little lot

joegarcia

First time I've ever had all my electric instruments together in one place so thought I'd take a picture.

Left to right in the order I got them:

70's Japanese P copy 'Joodee Performer Bass'. My first bass and I still love it. Has a 1/4 pounder in it now.

1979 Ovation Magnum IV. Amazing bass, love it to bits. Ridiculous neck humbucker (four coils!) and beefy bridge pickup. Nuts EQ.

80's Kramer XL-8. 8 string bass with aluminium neck. Currently with a reversed aluminium nut for my weird playing. Dimarzio soapbars.

Gordon Smith 'Rickenblacker'. Have this strung with half rounds and down to A. Huge Dimarzio Model One neck humbucker gets really growly and crazy deep, never really use the single coil in the middle. With Hipshot Supertone bridge.

1977 Guild B-301. My current go to bass for my band. Beautiful to play and sounds really amazingly versatile and edgy. Tuned down to A too so gets really deep but still has loads of bite if you play at the bridge.

1979 Guild S-300. Yea, it's a guitar but it's awesome and goes so well with the B-301. In an open A tuning for my clumsy bass hands.

[quote name='joegarcia' post='895242' date='Jul 15 2010, 12:00 AM']First time I've ever had all my electric instruments together in one place so thought I'd take a picture.

Left to right in the order I got them:

70's Japanese P copy 'Joodee Performer Bass'. My first bass and I still love it. Has a 1/4 pounder in it now.

1979 Ovation Magnum IV. Amazing bass, love it to bits. Ridiculous neck humbucker (four coils!) and beefy bridge pickup. Nuts EQ.

80's Kramer XL-8. 8 string bass with aluminium neck. Currently with a reversed aluminium nut for my weird playing. Dimarzio soapbars.

Gordon Smith 'Rickenblacker'. Have this strung with half rounds and down to A. Huge Dimarzio Model One neck humbucker gets really growly and crazy deep, never really use the single coil in the middle. With Hipshot Supertone bridge.

1977 Guild B-301. My current go to bass for my band. Beautiful to play and sounds really amazingly versatile and edgy. Tuned down to A too so gets really deep but still has loads of bite if you play at the bridge.

1979 Guild S-300. Yea, it's a guitar but it's awesome and goes so well with the B-301. In an open A tuning for my clumsy bass hands.[/quote]

In a word, Nice! Very Nice! Oooeer, that's three words! :)

I have a Magnum of that period but without the eq - bit of a rare one, yours!

When I first got my 301, it arrived downtuned for the journey to me - I know what you mean.
DEEP, very deep! Don't see many of those, either.
Love the 300 - on my list but never found a good one.

Great collection! :rolleyes:

Any risk of a single shot of the Gordon Smith?

Cheers. :lol:

[quote name='joegarcia' post='895242' date='Jul 15 2010, 12:00 AM']1977 Guild B-301. My current go to bass for my band. Beautiful to play and sounds really amazingly versatile and edgy. Tuned down to A too so gets really deep but still has loads of bite if you play at the bridge.[/quote]
Nice collection.

I saw someone playing a Guild B301 at the Hop Farm Festival acouple of weeks ago. I'd never heard one before but it was a very good sound.

Saw one of those GS Rickenbackers in A1 music in Manchester in about 97...wish i would have bought it, alas i was 13 and it was more than my £2.50 spends.

Been on the lookout ever since...even though i have a 4003, i liked the idea of having a version made down the road (about 6 miles from me)...yours is the first time i've seen one since!

Love the Ovation and Guild too.

• 3 weeks later...

love the Guild B-301. I sold mine on here a few years back bcause the neck was a bit too chunky for my wee hands. They look and sound great, and mine was the best set up I'd had, the action could go ridiculously low with no buzzing or dead spots anywhere. Yours looks in better nick mine was a bit mojoed.