Why become a member? ×

Fender P-Bass 1967 in sunburst

andytoad

Hi, I have a Fender Precision 1967 in sunburst. All the electrics are original, the fretboard has been replaced at some point, although it is show a little wear. Its an excelent sounding bass that looks fantastic! Due to christmas and a baby on the way, I have to sell up!

I would be happy to email you some pictures, please contact me at [email protected] or on 07850 788 838.

I am looking for £2400, but would take an offer. when you see it and play it, you wont be disapointed!

[attachment=3923:CIMG1210.JPG]

[attachment=3924:CIMG1214.JPG]

[attachment=3925:CIMG1212.JPG]

[attachment=3926:CIMG1213.JPG]

[attachment=3927:CIMG1211.JPG]

[attachment=3928:CIMG1216.JPG]

[attachment=3929:CIMG1217.JPG]

Edited by andytoad

[quote name='Waldo' post='98495' date='Dec 3 2007, 10:59 PM']As far as I'm aware, that headstock came in during the late 60's.[/quote]
+1

Yes - I'd have to say that was pretty definitely a 1968-9 P Bass - due to a combination of :
- the 23XXXX serial number (68 or 69 - definitely not 67)
- the larger 'TV' style logo (generally accepted to have first been used in 1968-9)
- the 1969-73 style bridge with single groove saddle barrel
But I'm splitting hairs really - P basses from 67-69 are all very much the same... perhaps a 67 would be slightly more preferable.
The basses from those 3 years are very much 70's basses in terms of quality of construction, playability & sound - they really can't be compared to the earlier 1960's (1960-1966) Fenders, which are very different basses.

Still this looks like a very nice old P bass- with some great 'mojo' going on...! And the good ones always got played lots!
:)

Edited by 99ster

[quote name='Jase' post='98519' date='Dec 3 2007, 11:28 PM']Is it common for vintage basses to have the fretboard removed/replaced? Just I was thinking of getting hold of a Vintage Jazz.

Lovely bass by the way![/quote]

No - it's not common - unless they've had a hard life & been played lots...

[quote name='99ster' post='98556' date='Dec 4 2007, 12:41 AM']No - it's not common - unless they've had a hard life & been played lots...[/quote]

I've actually come accross quite a few that have BTW. I own one in fact (although it was an ebony fretboard on top of the sweetes Fender neck I've ever used). Sometimes there were truss rod issues which have split the fretboard, sometimes they've been worn down, other times the owner just wanted a change. To behonest though, value wise it's going to affect it a hell of a lot. If it's noticeable (and it would need to be a great job not to be!) then I'd factor that into the sale price.

[quote name='Jebo1' post='99639' date='Dec 5 2007, 03:06 PM']I've actually come accross quite a few that have BTW. I own one in fact (although it was an ebony fretboard on top of the sweetes Fender neck I've ever used). Sometimes there were truss rod issues which have split the fretboard, sometimes they've been worn down, other times the owner just wanted a change. To behonest though, value wise it's going to affect it a hell of a lot. If it's noticeable (and it would need to be a great job not to be!) then I'd factor that into the sale price.[/quote]

I wouldn't give a feck about the fretboard, if I had the cash I'd have it :) I'm actually looking for a vintage Fender, probably take a lifetime to save for one.

[quote name='Jase' post='99784' date='Dec 5 2007, 06:59 PM']I wouldn't give a feck about the fretboard, if I had the cash I'd have it :) I'm actually looking for a vintage Fender, probably take a lifetime to save for one.[/quote]

Not really, you can get early 70's ones for about £700, so not that long really...

I bought a 69 for £1100 6 months ago.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='99801' date='Dec 5 2007, 07:28 PM']I got my '73 for £600 around a similar time. TV-era P's are the best investment around at the moment, IMO.... as long as you don't pay through the nose.[/quote]

I am going to seem really dumb here, but what is meant by "TV-era" ?

(can you recommend a good source to bone up (oo~err) on my classic/vintage bass model knowledge skills??)

M.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='100126' date='Dec 6 2007, 12:26 PM']TV-Era.. the geet big logos that Ps & Js had in the late 60s and early 70s. So-called because the idea was to make them readable when you saw them on telly.

Here's some of mine:

[/quote]

Sweet, thanks :) (why does that pic, although really awesome, remind of the Triffids?!?!).

That's like Gibson's TV-Yellow on the early guitars, like Les Paul Juniors . On the old black and white TV's they stood out better than all the other grey stuff on screen.

M

[quote name='Marky L' post='100155' date='Dec 6 2007, 12:49 PM']Sweet, thanks :) (why does that pic, although really awesome, remind of the Triffids?!?!).

M[/quote]

Definitely something of the "Take us to your leader Earthling" about it isn't there :huh: