Why become a member? ×

My new '88 Alembic Spoiler in stealth black

Clarky

I have a flame maple Spoiler which I like a lot but is a little pretty to fit the punk/metal ethos (its on it way to another BC'er who will, I am sure, adore it). I have replaced it with an '88 all-black Spoiler which I show below for your delectation. Identical to one played by Cliff Burton (RIP) of Metallica and similar to one played by Cliff's replacement Jason Newsted. Sounds great, looks rock and is made with usual Alembic ultra-high quality.

[attachment=53465:clarky_basses_515.JPG][attachment=53466:clarky_basses_516.JPG]

[quote name='lozbass' post='885241' date='Jul 4 2010, 09:02 AM']Whoahh! Absolute stunner - 'don't see many stealth Alembics - is this as good in terms of tone and playability as the exotic topped?[/quote]
Yep, as far as I know it is of identical construction (you can discern on the back the lines marking the through body construction and the sandwich layers), the only difference being the thick gloss black paint and the chrome plating on the brass hardware. This one is a bit heavier than my soon-to-be ex flame maple Spoiler at about 10.5 lb, the maple capped one being 10 lb. Bearing in mind it's a 32 inch scale this means it is built like a tank!

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='885260' date='Jul 4 2010, 09:48 AM']This one is a bit heavier than my soon-to-be ex flame maple Spoiler at about 10.5 lb, the maple capped one being 10 lb. Bearing in mind it's a 32 inch scale this means it is built like a tank![/quote]
Haha, 'know what you mean - I was playing my short-scale (30.75") cocobolo yesterday - it's tiny but around 11.5lbs. Fifteen minutes on a comfort strapp was enough. It's a small standard so notoriously weird balance too.

[quote name='cetera' post='886176' date='Jul 5 2010, 11:40 AM']VERY nice!
You don't see many of those around so that's quite a find! :)[/quote]
Yep, rare as hen's teeth - I spotted it FS on the Alembic Club forum and imported it from California

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='902614' date='Jul 23 2010, 12:16 AM']The big question is, how does it compare sound-wise to the natural flamed one, mate? :)[/quote]
To my metal/punk destroyed aural sensibilities, it sounds very similar (the pickups and electronics which are key to the sound of each Alembic model are identical). I suspect, played acoustically, Deaver's maple capped Spoiler is fractionally more resonant, although that may be due to the weight (mine weighs 11 pounds, one more than Deaver's). Sounds good in a rock setting with a nice amount of mid-range bite in the mixed pickup selection, although doesn't fill the lows quite like a P bass (what else does?) My only gripes would be the extra weight and my inability to find strings that perfectly match the neck (fortunately Deaver has tracked down some Alembic 40-100s which we will do a joint order on from the US).

Just an update regarding the strings really. I've ordered 3 sets of 40-100 gauge strings from www.juststrings.com, they charge a flat $20 overseas postage rate so obviously bulk is best. The total cost for three sets will be around £75 (£90 if import duty is imposed) thus £25-£30 a set which seems a decent deal. Two sets are for myself and one set is for Clarky. If it all goes well I'd be quite happy to order more sets in for the UK Alembic players on here, I'll be charging at cost (possibly adding the price of a pint to the complete order total). PM me if your interested or if you spot a better deal elsewhere.

Back to the Spoiler, my scales suggests that the black Spoiler might be up to 1.5 pounds heavier than the maple one - surely it can't be paint alone - or do Alembic have a secret tonal ingredient in the paint?

[url="http://www.juststrings.com/alembicelectricbassguitar.html"]Strings link[/url]

Edited by deaver

Sounds like it'll be wood density more than anything. Basses made from the same wood and same spec can vary greatly in weight.

It's either that, or Clarky's black beast is the Rolls-Royce of basses with thirty coats of hand applied black paint! (Complete with lead weights for a bit of extra quality feel!) :)

[quote name='deaver' post='902930' date='Jul 23 2010, 10:42 AM']Back to the Spoiler, my scales suggests that the black Spoiler might be up to 1.5 pounds heavier than the maple one - surely it can't be paint alone - or do Alembic have a secret tonal ingredient in the paint?[/quote]
I have read that early 80s Spoilers were slightly less heavy - maybe the body is a tad thicker on mine? Certainly the neck feels a fair bit chunkier, although that might be the glossy black paint playing tricks on me. My left shoulder certainly notices the difference!

Anyway I will be trying it out live for the first time tonight, for a cover of Metallica's Enter Sandman at a pub gathering for someone's stag do. So tonight, Matthew, I will be Jason Newsted :)