Why become a member? ×

shortage of bass players?

johnny_frog

Dunno if this is other peoples experience but...

I've had 2 call ups for auditions in as many weeks via Bandmix.

Both bands are pretty good working pub bands... I got the spot with the first band, first gig tomorrow night and I only got the email from the second band this morning and haven't replied yet.

Being inexperienced bass wise and the wrong side of 35, I was expecting to have a struggle finding a gigging band that would take me but this doesn't seem to be the case.

I'm assuming that me having my own gear and transport is an advantage, however from what band members have said to me "guitarists are 10 a penny... but bassists are hard to find"

Is this just something in my area (central scotland) or are we a rare breed country wide?

[quote name='johnny_frog' post='883628' date='Jul 2 2010, 07:39 AM']Being inexperienced bass wise and the wrong side of 35,

Is this just something in my area (central scotland) or are we a rare breed country wide?[/quote]

In a few years you will be neither inexperienced or on the wrong side of 35, so as long as you keep playing and stay alive, that'll be sorted.

And, no, there really are a hell of a lot of bassists out there. I know of 7 others in the company I work for including the CEO and that's without all the folk I know who play in bands. I think what there is, is a genuine shortage of are reliable bass players that have the time and inclination to commit to a band. There are loads of folks out there playing with being in a band, who do it when they have nothing else to do. Not just bassists either.

What I find is that if someone wants to learn to play an instrument, generally they'll learn guitar (even IMO, bass and drums aren't much fun to play on their own, guitar can be though) or piano or something similar.

If they want to take music a bit more seriously and maybe join a band, they'll look at bass and drums.

End result is that loads of people started off casually then decided they want to join a band, so there's hundreds of guitarists. The people who actually started out with the idea of wanting to be in a band are much less, or there's lots of guitarists that now play bass and just haven't transferred their musical ability well so are pretty shoddy bassists.

[quote name='Sean' post='883635' date='Jul 2 2010, 07:53 AM']In a few years you will be neither inexperienced or on the wrong side of 35, so as long as you keep playing and stay alive, that'll be sorted.[/quote]

What I meant by this was...
novice bands at my current skill level tend to be younger, not a problem to me but they generally seem to stipulate age restrictions
and
bands with members around my age tend to contain people who have been playing for years and are used to working with experienced musicians... ie not me :rolleyes:

so i was a bit surprised (and terrified if i'm honest) to get a shout from one band let alone two.
However I'm sooooo glad I took the plunge and did it, loving every minute of it and finding my playing is getting so much better just from playing with people who know what they are doing :)

As to personal hygine... i was none too fresh last night... muggy weather+rehersal room does not make me smell of roses
Fragrent Froggy :lol:

Edited by johnny_frog

[quote name='johnny_frog' post='883777' date='Jul 2 2010, 10:39 AM']As to personal hygine... i was none too fresh last night... muggy weather+rehersal room does not make me smell of roses
Fragrent Froggy :)[/quote]
Tell me about it! I have a pair of trainers I can't even put inside the house! And I don't even have smelly feet usually.

Back to the title of shortage of bass players. I had never been around more than 2 until i came to ACM and we were all finding it a bit strange to be in a room of 12 or so bassists, compared to the stupid amount of bad guitarists that there are. Maybe more serious musicians do head towards bass and drums :)

[quote name='silddx' post='883791' date='Jul 2 2010, 09:53 AM']Tell me about it! I have a pair of trainers I can't even put inside the house! And I don't even have smelly feet usually.[/quote]

Top tip from off the telly:

1: put aforementioned stinky trainers in a plastic bag and seal up the bag securely
2: put sealed bag of trainers in the freezer
3: leave in the freezer overnight or longer
4: open bag to reveal non-stinky trainers

I seem to know of more drummers and bass players than anything else.
Only recently mate of mine said he was doing some work for someone who had an acoustic guitar in his living room, do you think we should ask him if he wants to start up a band? I said it was worth a punt. Turns out the guy is a bassist :rolleyes: .

I certainly understand what JF means about being the wrong side of 35 and not much experience under the belt. I picked up the bass last year thinking all that mucking about when I was in my teens meant I could play. How wrong I was. So all the adds wanting bass players for bands are either around my age and want a certain skill level above mine or those of my skill level all seem to be teenagers wanting to play some sub genre of metal :) So I always feel a little stuck.

[quote name='johnny_frog' post='883628' date='Jul 2 2010, 07:39 AM']Dunno if this is other peoples experience but...

I've had 2 call ups for auditions in as many weeks via Bandmix.

Both bands are pretty good working pub bands... I got the spot with the first band, first gig tomorrow night and I only got the email from the second band this morning and haven't replied yet.

Being inexperienced bass wise and the wrong side of 35, I was expecting to have a struggle finding a gigging band that would take me but this doesn't seem to be the case.

I'm assuming that me having my own gear and transport is an advantage, however from what band members have said to me "guitarists are 10 a penny... but bassists are hard to find"

Is this just something in my area (central scotland) or are we a rare breed country wide?[/quote]

I guess its to do with as well that everyone want to be out front. Being in a band is all about being an extrovert. The rhythm section is seen as more backseat. I agree with previous comments, playing the bass to the casual observer or wanna be is pretty easy. To a certain extent this is true if all you want to do is bang our root notes, but to play the bass well, to augment and enhance a piece of music, which is what a bass can do thats a whole different kettle of fish, that requires a lot of musical knowledege, which is difficult. I know a lot of people who will pick up a bass and bang away but really play to the song nope.

A B@@@@ks 35 to 45 is the best for being a musican :)

[quote name='dan670844' post='883987' date='Jul 2 2010, 02:18 PM']I guess its to do with as well that everyone want to be out front. Being in a band is all about being an extrovert. The rhythm section is seen as more backseat. I agree with previous comments, playing the bass to the casual observer or wanna be is pretty easy. To a certain extent this is true if all you want to do is bang our root notes, but to play the bass well, to augment and enhance a piece of music, which is what a bass can do thats a whole different kettle of fish, that requires a lot of musical knowledege, which is difficult. I know a lot of people who will pick up a bass and bang away but really play to the song nope.

A B@@@@ks 35 to 45 is the best for being a musican :)[/quote]

And another thing don't worry about being 35 inexperienced blah de blah. Its not important playing music is for you to enjoy. Most professional musicans will always encourage and explain and help :rolleyes: . People that aren't like that you don't want to be around. There are so many weekend warrior w@@@@@s about, you just have to learn to walk

I don't know if it's an abundance of bass players (or a shortage of bands) but I'm getting dangerously close to a year since I decided to try and join a band.

Three false starts is the closest I've come.

Edited by Eight

Frog dude!

I think that finding people who have their own transport, can play, are reliable, able to commit time to gig and reherse and is not a total twonk head can be quite difficult. There is always 2 or three people on Glasgow gumtree looking for bassists. Go for it and enjoy yourself and if you are playing through this way, gies a holler.

Jez

Edited by jezzaboy

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='884306' date='Jul 2 2010, 08:23 PM']Frog dude!

I think that finding people who have their own transport, can play, are reliable, able to commit time to gig and reherse and is not a total twonk head can be quite difficult. There is always 2 or three people on Glasgow gumtree looking for bassists. Go for it and enjoy yourself and if you are playing through this way, gies a holler.

Jez[/quote]
will do Jezzster... bout time you heard the black beastie you sold me in action :)