Why become a member? ×

I had an interesting experience this evening ..

xilddx

My mate sent me a new song he's finished recording. I have to do a one-off gig it with him in August for his album he's been working on so I need to learn the whole album. I put the song on about half an hour ago.

I wasn't listening to the bass at all, just the song as a whole, then a little lick jumped out and I thought "Mmm, that was quite a cool lick", and I started listening to the bass more. I thought "Mmm, it's a little sloppy here and there but some of those fills are pretty decent, and it's pumping along nicely, this guy has a decent feel but he needs to reign himself in a bit and tighten it up a touch. But generally it's really nice, a bit quirky, and that little lick half way through made me want to listen to the bass." "Shouldn't be too difficult to learn but I'll never remember all those fills.".

Just before the song finished, I realised the bass player was me :)

It is a very strange experience hearing and analysing a bassline when you don't realise it's actually you playing it. And it's how I play NOW, not years ago. He sent me the track about three months ago, I hastily learned it and put a couple of takes of bass down in my studio the same evening because I was so busy, then sent it to him. I had completely forgotten I'd recorded it! I am suddenly looking at the way I play completely differently. I want to get more defined, more simple and on the money. Even though some of the fills and note choices felt familiar, it didn't scream "silddx on bass" at me. I need to get some f***ing personality man! :rolleyes:

Edited by silddx

Kinda familiar, but the other way around for me. Reminds me a little of the first time my old band recorded in a propper studio.

It was the nineties so we were recording to ananlogue tape, we had a really good engineer so we tracked the songs all together, puched in the mistakes then did a few overdubs. Listening to the rough mix on the way home, I thought it sounded like a bunch of fairly competent musicians playing our music - all the usual mistakes had been repaired - I felt really detached from the playing and for the first time was actiually able to listen to the songs as a whole. Changed my perspective on writing.

Edited by Mikey R

[quote name='Mikey R' post='882331' date='Jun 30 2010, 07:49 PM']Kinda familiar, but the other way around for me. Reminds me a little of the first time my old band recorded in a propper studio.

It was the nineties so we were recording to ananlogue tape, we had a really good engineer so we tracked the songs all together, puched in the mistakes then did a few overdubs. Listening to the rough mix on the way home, I thought it sounded like a bunch of fairly competent musicians playing our music - all the usual mistakes had been repaired - I felt really detached from the playing and for the first time was actiually able to listen to the songs as a whole. Changed my perspective on writing.[/quote]
That's it exactly, [b]detached[/b]. I realised how [b]attached[/b] I am when I listen to my own recordings and how it's so difficult to critique it effectively.

I turned up at a festival with drummer friend in tow.... to hear our grooves being played by others, from one of the tent stages!!.. that was weird...
We had done some recording for a College music dept. & they had put a band together around the stuff we'd written!

[quote name='Mikey R' post='882331' date='Jun 30 2010, 07:49 PM']It was the nineties so we were recording to ananlogue tape, we had a really good engineer so we tracked the songs all together, puched in the mistakes then did a few overdubs.[/quote]

Amateurs. :) I've never had to punch in the mistakes later.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='882748' date='Jul 1 2010, 09:54 AM']Ive not had that experience yet, but I have had a friend who also plays bass say I have trademark 'Gareth' runs/fills and slides that I tend to use in certain songs.[/quote]

Id be well happy with a comment like that.

Ive had folks tell me that theyve never seen anyone play a bass like I do - I was chuffed to bits and made sure I never asked them if that was a good thing or a bad one lmao

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='882802' date='Jul 1 2010, 10:50 AM']Amateurs. :) I've never had to punch in the mistakes later.[/quote]

Nah, you were probably just quantized :rolleyes: I've not had the pleasure of anyone actually giving 2 shits about my music yet. But maybe in a few years i can report back to you on the time i heard someone listening to one of my songs in the car, or having it on in a club or something.

Then again

<--- ahem. Yeah.

Edited by EdwardHimself

Same happened to me years ago.

Did a session for a producer in Risca (S. Wales), playing bass on a very raw track (just drums and keys) and then went away. Couple of years later, I was played a track by a [i]different[/i] producer and asked what I thought of the bass player. 'solid enough but nothing remarkable'. He laughed. Of course, it was me. The producer had addded layers of stuff and I just hadn't recognised any elements of the original track.

[quote name='silddx' post='882319' date='Jun 30 2010, 07:38 PM']I wasn't listening to the bass at all, just the song as a whole, then a little lick jumped out and I thought "Mmm, that was quite a cool lick", and I started listening to the bass more. I thought "Mmm, it's a little sloppy here and there but some of those fills are pretty decent, and it's pumping along nicely, this guy has a decent feel but he needs to reign himself in a bit and tighten it up a touch. But generally it's really nice, a bit quirky, and that little lick half way through made me want to listen to the bass." "Shouldn't be too difficult to learn but I'll never remember all those fills.".

Just before the song finished, I realised the bass player was me :rolleyes:[/quote]

I cant say i have experienced this but then i wouldn't recognize your playing without it being pointed out to me :)