Why become a member? ×

Should I sell my markbass cabs for barefaced?

gafbass02

Tricky one this as I can't drive to test stuff out and don't earn enough to take gambles on anything. I really could use a tiny, powerful cab I can carry over distances so I started looking at the barefaced midget. But to fund it I'd have to sell one of my current cabs.
I'm currently using passive jazz basses and a streamer lx into a zoom b9.1ut through a little mark 2 into markbass 102p and STD 102hf cabs. Which is very very loud. Handy in a six piece rock band (see sig for a better idea of that) as I'm not the only non driver space is often limited and I ften do gigs where I need to carry my gear into town etc.
A little reading on the web has made me think about switching to a barefaced compact and midget setup which is seemingly as loud and even more flexible and would allow me that nice n easy carry for open mics etc.
The thing that's worrying me though is power, put simply am I going to have enough to replace my markbass cabs? Will the midget alone ever be enough on it's own? - As the traveller is now so I can gig with either cab. Handy as the bigger one often stays in the studio.
If I sell my markbass cabs to fund it and it's a bad choice I'll be utterly stuck! (teaching assistant on £500 a month, so cash is a big deal!)
Whaddya reckon folks? Gamble or stay until I can afford a midget alone to add to my set up and problem solved?

Edited by gafbass02

I've put my name down for the midget tour. I'm not really a vintage kinda guy tbh think tommy c flea Billy Gould and you're nearer the mark. :)
Interesting that we think it won't be as loud. Looks like a long wait for just a midget might be on the cards then.

Yeah but at at 49lbs and a no doubt huge price tag it's a non starter I'm afraid. My thinking of a bfb compact and midget stack was flexibility with extreme portability and power. Sort of what I have now but more carryable but tbh it's looking like it'll be too big a compromise on power. So I'll have to pipe dream of the day I can just buy a midget separately to my rig I reckon.

I''ve not heard the barefaced cabs but I'd be surprised if there was a significant difference in volume in favour of the markbass, you're talking about a 4x10 versus a 15+12 with similarly high-spec drivers. The Markbass might be voiced louder in the mids, but you can always make that up with EQ, with negligible effect on overall power draw. I think the main difference would be the tone, that's what would make me wary about the switch if you're happy with the Markbass sound.

After reading about your financial situation and having owned both rigs, I'd say just stick with what you have.

The Midget is a better cab in every way than the 102P but the 102P is still a brilliant little cab and very good in most pub gig situations. And combined with the larger 2 x10, it's a very, very good rig.

No doubt, the Midget is lighter thn the 102P and cheaper too, if you're buying new, but why spend money you don't have too?

This is only my opinion and, just to add, I only sold my pair of markbass 2 x 10s because a new and smaller car wouldn't carry them in the boot.

Frank

I've just tried the Compact on tour, and been pleasantly surprised as have the rest of the guys/gals in the band.
Currently play a Markbass SA450 through a Schroeder 410L and the Compact is easily as loud. Mind you my amp volumes are set at 1'o clock for Gain and 9 'o clock for volume as we use PA support. We're a 5-piece band and the Compact cut through nice & clear, even more so than the Schroeder.

Thanks everyone for the brilliant advice. Especially Alex and Frank to whom I'll reply by pm once I'm off my phone and at a keyboard. Upshot is I think I'm gonna hang onto my 102hf and sell the traveller and my line 6 studio 110 and get a midget as I reckon that'll give me a good mix of power (102hf) for most gigs and portability (midget) for the others. I'm sure I can run both when I absolutely need to although I rarely need that much poke these days :)
Now to shift the 102p bet that takes an age! Always does when you need the cash lol

[quote name='chris_b' post='878983' date='Jun 27 2010, 05:21 PM']Get the BFB Vintage in the For sale section.[/quote]

Absolutely. I've just come down from a rig consisting of two Hartke 4x10 XLs and my new Vintage easily blows them away. I even had to turn down!! :)

[quote name='JTUK' post='881055' date='Jun 29 2010, 03:34 PM']Keep the cabs and get a car. All this schepping around without your own transport is nuts.

I wouldn't compromise a cab just for size if it didn't do the job I wanted it to.[/quote]

I must say I agree. Size and weight are factors, but tone and volume are more important.

A single 12 will only go so far....ok for rehearsing and acoustic, but a 2x10 is the smallest Id go for small gigs. 2x12 is the optimum (or 1x12 x 2).

Those MB 2x10s are very light.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='881065' date='Jun 29 2010, 03:44 PM']A single 12 will only go so far....ok for rehearsing and acoustic, but a 2x10 is the smallest Id go for small gigs. 2x12 is the optimum (or 1x12 x 2).[/quote]

I know what you mean, but the 1 x 12 Barefaced Midget is in another league. It's loud, very loud, but can still sound deep up to a pretty loud volume using a bit of EQ. Beats my Markbass 2 x 10 easily and I still regard the Markbass 2 x 10 as a good cab.

For me, the Compact OR the Midget is loud enough for most of my gigs. The Compact with the Midget on top is a killer rig. It's nice to have all that headroom. :)

Frank

[quote name='machinehead' post='881129' date='Jun 29 2010, 04:48 PM']I know what you mean, but the 1 x 12 Barefaced Midget is in another league. It's loud, very loud, but can still sound deep up to a pretty loud volume using a bit of EQ. Beats my Markbass 2 x 10 easily and I still regard the Markbass 2 x 10 as a good cab.

For me, the Compact OR the Midget is loud enough for most of my gigs. The Compact with the Midget on top is a killer rig. It's nice to have all that headroom. :)

Frank[/quote]

Out of curiosity, is your Midget with or without tweeter?

[quote name='fatback' post='881205' date='Jun 29 2010, 06:27 PM']Out of curiosity, is your Midget with or without tweeter?[/quote]

Without tweeter. And it's fine. I have no regrets at all in buying the non-tweeter verssion. It handles the highs very smoothly.

Frank