Why become a member? ×

fender decal with small squire logo

lojo

Hi

If a headstock has a large traditional Fender Decal with squire in small letters what does this make it?

Obviously I've seen (and owned) Squire by (fender in small)

But with Fender in big, what is the origin?

Thanks for any help

Btw its a P bass

[quote name='walbassist' post='851343' date='May 29 2010, 06:47 PM']I believe the much vaunted original series Squier basses from the mid to late 80s had this. Really good basses.[/quote]

A mate of mine has just got his '82 Fender Logo JV Squier strat back after 20 years. It's a lovely guitar & worth a bit.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='851367' date='May 29 2010, 07:13 PM']OTPJ is right. The mid-late 80s had flipped the logo sizes around by that stage, these are early JV[/quote]

Yes, thinking about it my mate's P was bought new 85ish and is definitely an early JV.

Edited by walbassist

[quote name='neilb' post='851456' date='May 29 2010, 09:14 PM']Oh...thats not good then. Sounds more like a Chinese late 90s Squier with a decalmorphosis!!!!![/quote]

are they built from cheap parts / woods then?

CN serial numbers are produced in Korea in the Cort factory. The "N" denotes nineties. :) Body wood is likely to be either basswood or agathis. Not the best, but if you like the bass & how it plays/sounds, why not?

Regarding the decal though, I thought the Large Fender/small Squier logos were only on the early JV models? Can any experts shed any light?

Do you have any pics of this mystery Precision, btw?

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

Never heard of this apart from the very first JV (Japan Vintage) Squiers. AFAIK this branding was originally Japanese market only and appeared of a few of the first JVs to be exported, & these will be 1982 basses.

Pics would be useful - there are specific vintage features a JV should have.

Jon.

woooo reading these posts its like listening to a bunch of sicilan widows talking about a legendary sea monster that took their husbands from them!! HAHA, it's not mithology! It was a transitional stage when Fender was testing the waters for the sole purpose of allowing the public to accept the new Jap Squier range. lol I might be an old boy but my memory doesn't fail me. In fact I remember reading that way back in the 80's that the reason for a Fender logo with the small Squier one was done so that the public wouldn't think of these guitars as "counterfeits". I owned a Jazz bass like that which was stolen from me. It was incredible, and if I had kept it, this would have been worth a lot.

That is the only half pic I've got left of it. :)

Edited by Grand Wazoo

Exactamundo - the much overhyped JV series.

To have the large Fender / Small Squier logo the serial number will begin JV0*** as generally anything with JV1*** or higher wil have had the logo switcheroo by that point.

I owned a precision with a serial of JV13*** and it was nice. Perfect condition, rolled fingerboard edges but I didn't see what all the fuss was about. This was before they were going for megabucks - bought it on Fleabay for £200, used it for a gig then fired it back on and doubled my money

I think the reason they changed the logo around is that they were literally too good and better than the MIA Fenders at the time so Fender wanted people to know that they were the cheaper alternative to the 'superior' Fender product. The Fender execs were literally in tears as the Japanese models were far superior in every way to the pish coming out of the US factory.

There are Japanese Fenders from this period that I have seen with sellers trying to pass them off as Squiers as the Squier seems to be worth more than the Japanese made Fender from the same period

A nice little slideshow of the one I had:

[url="http://img179.imageshack.us/slideshow/player.php?id=img179/6007/1275183053vbj.smil"]http://img179.imageshack.us/slideshow/play...5183053vbj.smil[/url]

Edited by Delberthot

I have done a bit of a search on the old google and found some very informative links...

to start with the pics below shows the exact headstock logo as appeared on the very first Squier models:

[size=3][b]Note how the Jazz had an 80's Fender logo, whereas the Precision had the earlier spaghetti logo[/b][/size]

[i][size=3][u][b]There are a lot more of info on this link: [url="http://www.21frets.com/squier_jv/index.htm"]The Squier JV Pages[/url][/b][/u][/size][/i]

We can discuss small/large logos all we like, but the OP states his bass has a CN serial number. This denotes non Japan origin around Nineties era. No JV or any valeable early squier would have this serial.

Can the OP post a pic of both the front of the stock and where the CN serial is. Any other pics of the overall bass would be handy.

Speaking of big Fender small Squier decals, I was wondering what the Jap afficionado's make of this? [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=89609&st=0&gopid=851663&#entry851663"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry851663[/url]

[quote name='neilb' post='851630' date='May 30 2010, 09:26 AM']We can discuss small/large logos all we like, but the OP states his bass has a CN serial number. This denotes non Japan origin around Nineties era. No JV or any valeable early squier would have this serial.

Can the OP post a pic of both the front of the stock and where the CN serial is. Any other pics of the overall bass would be handy.[/quote]

have requested some pics to post from the owner, all the info on the JV stuff is interesting though keep it coming

Looks similar to this picture:

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8530622&postcount=14"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php...mp;postcount=14[/url]

So, I would guess it's a 90's oddball Korean made instrument... not one of the valuable JV Squiers, unfortunately.

I'd imagine it would pick up a few extra quid on ebay simply because it says "Fender" in big letters.

The confusion above re JV series instruments raises an interesting ethical question... I personally have never listed a serial number in an auction. Would the seller have a moral obligation to point out in the listing that this is not a JV series instrument? Or would it be sufficient to say made in Korea?

My concern would be that someone with an inkling that big-Fender-logo Squiers are worth upwards of £500 would over-bid on it... or would it be their fault for not having done their homework?

I've owned two of these in the past. Korean and Japanese but NOTHING to do with the 'JV' series guitar, built later around at the early 90's and often with plywood bodies.

Still, they were good basses, both of them, but cheap ceramic pickups, poor electronics and the aforementioned 'plywood' laminate bodies on both of mine.

Good for oddity value, but not the investment a JV is.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='852545' date='May 31 2010, 01:01 PM']My guitarist's got a JV strat (but his Squier logo has been scruffily removed) and I really don't like it. The neck is like a baseball bat. Nowhere near the quality of some of the '80s Tokai strats I've played.

I don't buy into the hype with these.[/quote]

The Tokais are great instruments. Of course, a lot of them come with a Fender logo now.

[quote]Q4: Since when does Tokai Gakki produce Fender Japan guitars, and will this cooperation continue? Do you make all available models in Japan, or are there some models that you outsource to your or other Korean partners?

A4: We started to make guitars for Fender Japan 8 years ago (1998). All of the guitars are made in our factory, Japan. One other factory, Daita Gakki, is making guitars for Fender Japan. So we do not make some of the models of Fender Japan. They export some of them. But we do not.[/quote]
[url="http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4434"]http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4434[/url]

[quote name='dlloyd' post='852455' date='May 31 2010, 11:23 AM']I'd imagine it would pick up a few extra quid on ebay simply because it says "Fender" in big letters.

The confusion above re JV series instruments raises an interesting ethical question... I personally have never listed a serial number in an auction. Would the seller have a moral obligation to point out in the listing that this is not a JV series instrument? Or would it be sufficient to say made in Korea?

My concern would be that someone with an inkling that big-Fender-logo Squiers are worth upwards of £500 would over-bid on it... or would it be their fault for not having done their homework?[/quote]

I'd advertise it as a "Fender Squier series" made in Korea. That saves any confusion on the part of potential buyers.

As for people's impressions of JV's, I've only played a couple, but Higgie's JV Precision is among the best I've played.