Why become a member? ×

Budget Raise

DreadAlert

Hey guys - Since I was last on here, I'll come into possession of a bit more I wouldn't mind spending on a better bass or amp. :)

I can spend £400 ish in total, on everything. Guitar, amp, etc.

I'm a beginner.

Recommend what you've had good experiences with and what you've heard good things about. :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Mr. Foxen has a couple of MIM Fenders for £250 each:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=85338"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=85338[/url]
Both with BadassII, the P has an EMG too.

If you're anywhere in the NW then this looks like a good deal too:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=87587"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=87587[/url]

Good gigging setup for £400 i think!

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='850493' date='May 28 2010, 06:06 PM']I think it'd be more useful if you told us what you like, what you play & what is possible.

Amps are less sexy than buying instruments but probably a better investment[/quote]

Well I'm looking to play mainly funk, rock, maybe some metal. I don't like spikey shapes, and I don't really want to buy used.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='850513' date='May 28 2010, 06:20 PM']That's a pity, your money will go a lot further if you do go down the second-hand route. I'd buy some of the equipment/instruments in the for sale sections like a shot if I had any money/ needed anything else.[/quote]

My mom seems driven on NEW only for the guitar, but wont mind a used Amp. I'm trying to persuade her but she's stickin.

[quote name='DreadAlert' post='850610' date='May 28 2010, 08:10 PM']My mom seems driven on NEW only for the guitar, but wont mind a used Amp. I'm trying to persuade her but she's stickin.[/quote]

Can't understand the reasoning behind that. There's a lot less to go wrong on a bass than there is on an amp. There's a lot of people using 30-40-50 year old basses, but comparitively few using amps that are anything like that old.

Another reason to go for a secondhand bass is that a lot of people buy budget basses (MIM Fenders are a favourite) and add upgrade parts like new bridges, pickups etc, making them a better buy than a more expensive instrument. You're also more likely to find they've been properly set up, which is a lot more than you can expect from a lot of music shops these days.

Just my two penn'orth anyway

A

[quote name='DreadAlert' post='850610' date='May 28 2010, 08:10 PM']My mom seems driven on NEW only for the guitar, but wont mind a used Amp. I'm trying to persuade her but she's stickin.[/quote]

Your mam play much bass? :)

Seriously, buying used will make the difference between £400 worth of serious gigging equipment and £400 worth of budget gear which may not be siutable for the job. Also remember the value takes a hit as soon as you walk out of the music shop.

Some of the basses and amps in the FS section are incredible value for money, i wish i'd had those offered to me when i started out playing. Since joining this site i've not really bought equipment from anywhere else, bar a few items

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='850758' date='May 28 2010, 10:59 PM']Your mam play much bass? :)

Seriously, buying used will make the difference between £400 worth of serious gigging equipment and £400 worth of budget gear which may not be siutable for the job. Also remember the value takes a hit as soon as you walk out of the music shop.

Some of the basses and amps in the FS section are incredible value for money, i wish i'd had those offered to me when i started out playing. Since joining this site i've not really bought equipment from anywhere else, bar a few items[/quote]

Nah my mom knows jack about guitars.

I'll try and persuade her. - Also, I saw something for a Spector Classic Legend 4 string. How's that?

Has to be second hand, IMV... and you are just as likely to get a good bass from a discerning member here, or even more so, than from a shop. And you will get more bass for the money second hand.
Nobody here is saying that to sell their basses..at least I hope not...they are saying because they think it is true.

You could even get a few basses on here vouched for..which in your position as a relative new starter, could be a good thing.

[quote name='Johnston' post='850916' date='May 29 2010, 09:18 AM']I'd go with that I don't need another bass but seriously looking at getting 1. No matter how hard I try I cannot find any bad reports by people who have them.

Another bass that I've seen cheap locally and I think on a few sites is the Peavey zodiac DE scorpio. Near sure I've seen it for £230, already loaded with bassline 1/4 lbers and the black and steel looks sweet![/quote]

To add my opinion, I agree with the view that 2nd hand for the bass would be the best option. I was fortunate enough to pick up two US Precisions for under £500, 2nd hand (1 was a 1997, 1 was a 2007), when new they are approx £900 (tho this is for the new 2008 onwards model). So long as it plays well, and you have the option to try it through an amp, you`re likely to pick up much better value for your money - my 1997 is sooooooo much better, IMO, than the 2007. The other thing to consider is re-sale value - what you shell out for a 2nd hand bass is what you are likely to get back for it when/if you decide to upgrade.

If either item must be new, amp-wise, yes, more things can go wrong, so having a warranty would probably be a preferred option.

Theres a vintage modified 70s style jazz too which is a pretty awesome bass. Id have either of the Ps in a second. check this out by the way.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6Cd98DH__U"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6Cd98DH__U[/url]

[quote name='cocco' post='851024' date='May 29 2010, 12:17 PM']Theres a vintage modified 70s style jazz too which is a pretty awesome bass. Id have either of the Ps in a second. check this out by the way.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6Cd98DH__U"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6Cd98DH__U[/url][/quote]

Yeah I've heard good things about the VMJ, but everyone says the Classic Vibes are better for not that much more money.

Thanks for the awesome video by the way - So far I'm lovin the 60s P and J basses. Not so much the 50s P, but its still cool.

I prefer the look of the 60s P aswell, I like the way the pickguard curves around the body at the bottom, and I prefer the colour. I really hate the patterned pickguard on the jazz, but I guess it could be changed.

Edited by DreadAlert

Buying used / secondhand gear is prob the best way to go, you will get a LOT more bass for you money, there is nothing worse than learning on something that is badly set up, sounds and feels nasty, just cause its shiny and new so there for it must be good.

With buying used (especially off a forum like this) the odds are that its been owned an played by a player who is enthusiastic about what there doing an the odds that he/she wasn't even the first owner of it in the first place.

Decent stuff is never relay owned by anybody, you buy it, play it, look after it an move it on to the next owner, the better the quality of the instrument in the first place the longer the life of it (if i was wrong why do vintage guitars & basses sell for silly amounts of money when in effect there old an worn out ?? i think not) but we are not talking vintage or even pro gear but for the new budget you have of £400 you have just opened up a new door of options, and as a bonus a used bass thats a couple of years old, seen i few gigs, is played in an sounding good, say you decide that 6months down the line you don't want to play anymore then wen you come to sell it on expect to get back pretty much what you payed for it initially.
In other words you wont loose anything on it might even make a few quid on it when you sell it.

[quote name='DreadAlert' post='851031' date='May 29 2010, 12:28 PM']Yeah I've heard good things about the VMJ, but everyone says the Classic Vibes are better for not that much more money.

Thanks for the awesome video by the way - So far I'm lovin the 60s P and J basses. Not so much the 50s P, but its still cool.

I prefer the look of the 60s P aswell, I like the way the pickguard curves around the body at the bottom, and I prefer the colour. I really hate the patterned pickguard on the jazz, but I guess it could be changed.[/quote]

Tortoise Shell is the word your looking for :) I personally love a tortie, each to their own though. I have love for the whole series to be honest, If i wasn't a Fender snob I reckon I could make do with the 60s p and the j for the rest of my life easy.

Listening to your mum = not rock and roll.

Buying new stuff is worst use of money, especially if there is a chance you'll lose interest, that's a loss right away, whereas a cunning bit of buying will turn into an investment and an important skill if you don't see out the bassist path.

I went to the music store today and I tried out some basses - And I REALLY like the look and sound and feel of the Yamaha BB414. Everywhere I look I can only find good things.
I looked at a few others but didnt get to try any out. For feel and looks, I really preferred the Peavey Cirrus BXP 4 string.

Anyone had any experiences with the BB414 and the Cirrus?

Edited by DreadAlert

[quote name='TRadford' post='851980' date='May 30 2010, 06:06 PM']If YOU, like the look sound and feel, then thats all that matters.
As been said many times, you will get more for your money buying second hand on here, but if thats not what you want to do, then get the bass that feels right for you.[/quote]

:)
I'm pretty sure I'm going for the BB414.

so what sort of stuff are you gonna play in your band?? if its one guitar then go jazz route, you'll fill the sound much more, but if theres 2 guitars, you can sound lower with a precision style, if looks arent an issue, dont worry about sound!

from your pic of flea, i'd assume you'll be playing similar stuff! (so jazz esque route!)

amp wise, starting out, you just need to bear in mind that you need AT LEAST 100 watts to get over the drummer! but tbh you have to spend a serious amount of money before you get into quality amps. i'd get one with an extension cab option so if in future you can push it that little bit more! a cheap amp with something like a sansamp pedal will go a long way though!

as always, this type of thing is individual choice, and best way is to get out there and see what you like!

dont know about the rest of you but i wish i'd have had basschat when i started out!

[quote name='rmshaw37' post='852171' date='May 30 2010, 09:58 PM']so what sort of stuff are you gonna play in your band?? if its one guitar then go jazz route, you'll fill the sound much more, but if theres 2 guitars, you can sound lower with a precision style, if looks arent an issue, dont worry about sound!

from your pic of flea, i'd assume you'll be playing similar stuff! (so jazz esque route!)

amp wise, starting out, you just need to bear in mind that you need AT LEAST 100 watts to get over the drummer! but tbh you have to spend a serious amount of money before you get into quality amps. i'd get one with an extension cab option so if in future you can push it that little bit more! a cheap amp with something like a sansamp pedal will go a long way though!

as always, this type of thing is individual choice, and best way is to get out there and see what you like!

dont know about the rest of you but i wish i'd have had basschat when i started out![/quote]

Well, I want to be playing anything with rhythm basically. From R'n'B to groove metal. I was thinking of getting this amp [url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/rb-2/69083"]http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/rb-2/69083[/url] seeing as that's a pretty tight fit with the cost of the BB414. Allowing a bit of extra for tuner etc.

I dont quite get what you mean about an extension cab.. Is that a cab that attaches to the combo and the pre-amp in the combo powers both?

Edited by DreadAlert