Why become a member? ×

What makes a good bass player?

algmusic

[quote name='oldslapper' post='848457' date='May 26 2010, 01:42 PM']To be unnoticed, but missed when you stop playing..........[/quote]

+1, this is great. Our singer trys to say "we will be alright rehearsing without you" the next day I see him and he says "man, it's not the same with your driving bass there"

in truth a lot of things make a great bassist.
In my personal opinion it's simplistic playing, knowing what to play and when.

Being versatile is important to, so you are able to adapt your self to the rest of the music.

Not knowing you are good is probably best aswell.

A good bass player puts the music first, so to an extent will wear a producers hat.
Good time, nice feel, musicality, a great sense of line. Most importantly no ego. There are bands and music where bass with ego works a bit, but for me playing a support role well is all the adulation I need, and it's me making that final judgement, so an ability to self police is also very important.

Simply put a good bass player plays the right notes at the right time just like any other musician.

The main area where a bassist differs from any other musician (imo) is that they tend to be a link between the rhythm section/drums and the music and working with the rhythm section add a foundation for the song/music to sit on.

Musical taste will dictate whether people class a good bass player as an in yer face bassist or one that sits at the back never to be noticed until they go missing, but ultimately they're doing much the same job :)

EDIT: would help if I could spell rhythm correctly every time :rolleyes:

Edited by purpleblob

Personally, a good bass player doesn't have to be someone who can play ridiculously fast or put videos of themselves on youtube slapping away. A good bass player plays what is right for his music and fills that hole between the rhythm section and the melodies. A good bass player will encapsulate the mood and feel of the song in his or her playing and give the music real texture and a greater level of impact to the listener.

All of the above.

Its the same as every other musician's role; to make the music as good as it can be. Sometimes this requires playing but sometimes it requires you to be silent. Your tone needs to be appropriate to the piece and to the genre, your ability to execute musical ideas needs to be impeccable. Most of all, you need to be the best musician you can possibly be.

Being a musician should actually remain more important to you than being a bass player. If you work on that principle, you won't go far wrong.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='849348' date='May 27 2010, 12:46 PM']Being a musician should actually remain more important to you than being a bass player.[/quote]
What, you mean it's possible to be both? :)

Knowing what's right for that particular song with that particular band on that particular day, having the technical ability to translate ideas into notes, and knowing which ideas are good ideas and which are bad ones.

Never making the same mistake more than twice in the same performance of the same song.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='849348' date='May 27 2010, 12:46 PM']Most of all, you need to be the best musician you can possibly be.[/quote]

Without wishing to court undue controversy, I'm going to disagree with this a bit. Not that I've got anything against people being the best musician they can possibly be, you understand. It's just that I suspect that the most important qualities in a bass player have little to do with musicianship. Like being reliable - turning up when you're supposed to, with whatever gear you're going to need; doing stuff you've agreed to do when you said you'd do it, whether that's learning songs or printing off flyers. Being honest, friendly and constructive in your dealings with fellow band-members and others (fans, promoters, other bands, sound-people, bar-staff etc). Not having an over-inflated ego. Stuff like that.

OK, if you have all that in spades and no musical ability, you're still going to be a sh*t bass player. On the other hand, if you have none of those qualities, you can be the greatest musician on earth and still be a sh*t bass player. If I had to recruit a bassist, I'd be inclined to pick the reliable, friendly plodder with limited abilities over the super musician who's a nightmare to work with.

Just my 2p.

Edited by Earbrass

[quote name='oldslapper' post='848457' date='May 26 2010, 01:42 PM']To be unnoticed, but missed when you stop playing.............

.....sorry, I meant... be as fast and complicated as humanly possible, so that guitarists can all say "bass players are failed guitarists". :)[/quote]

I really like that one.. I was playing drums for a band and a guy call Matt Round was on bass. It was funny I only noticed how good he was the minute another bassist stepped in to dep.. I was like "what's happened to the groove....??!!"

[quote name='Earbrass' post='849373' date='May 27 2010, 01:13 PM']Without wishing to court undue controversy, I'm going to disagree with this a bit. Not that I've got anything against people being the best musician they can possibly be, you understand. It's just that I suspect that the most important qualities in a bass player have little to do with musicianship. Like being reliable - turning up when you're supposed to, with whatever gear you're going to need; doing stuff you've agreed to do when you said you'd do it, whether that's learning songs or printing off flyers. Being honest, friendly and constructive in your dealings with fellow band-members and others (fans, promoters, other bands, sound-people, bar-staff etc). Not having an over-inflated ego. Stuff like that.

OK, if you have all that in spades and no musical ability, you're still going to be a sh*t bass player. On the other hand, if you have none of those qualities, you can be the greatest musician on earth and still be a sh*t bass player. If I had to recruit a bassist, I'd be inclined to pick the reliable, friendly plodder with limited abilities over the super musician who's a nightmare to work with.

Just my 2p.[/quote]

It's funny in my humble career.. the first thing people say about someone is: great guy, then great player.. I think you gotta be easy to work with. I know some great players I'll never call because of there attitude.. and I'll probably give someone who is willing to work a bit hard to hit the mark, if I know I can rely on them..

I've always thought of a bass player's role as being similar to that of a referee/umpire in rugby/football/cricket/tennis, etc.

If we do our job well, nobody notices - but if we have a mare, the whole thing collapses around us!

I don't think many singers, guitarists or keyboard players really understand the role of bass in music. If they like what you play then they say nowt - but if they DON'T like it, they feel they have a right to criticise our tone, playing, timing... But how many bassists criticise other musicians' playing?

It's a thankless task, but a very rewarding one.

Oh, and [b]WE[/b] make the girls dance!! :brow:

[quote name='algmusic' post='849415' date='May 27 2010, 02:07 PM']It's funny in my humble career.. the first thing people say about someone is: great guy, then great player.[/quote]
In some of the circles I have worked in, the words 'he's a lovely guy' is one of the most damning condemnations of a persons' musical abilities that can be uttered. :)

All round ability, great technique, great sound, excellent sight reading, adaptability (the ability to switch between styles comfortably), locking in with the drummer, listening to what's going on around you, driving the band forwards and not letting things lag behind or race ahead, laying down what's written, necessary & adding your own little bit of sparkle where you can. Oh, and add a dollop of experience there & you've just about got the right mix.

Now, that's not too much to ask, is it? :)

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='merello' post='850348' date='May 28 2010, 02:32 PM']If a band is a main course dinner, we are the gravy. It's still edible but there's something missing....[/quote]
I like that analogy. :)

[quote name='jakesbass' post='849153' date='May 27 2010, 08:56 AM']A good bass player puts the music first, so to an extent will wear a producers hat.
Good time, nice feel, musicality, a great sense of line. Most importantly no ego. There are bands and music where bass with ego works a bit, but for me playing a support role well is all the adulation I need, and it's me making that final judgement, so an ability to self police is also very important.[/quote]

+1 To that.

Cheers,
iamthewalrus

[quote name='jakesbass' post='849505' date='May 27 2010, 03:53 PM']In some of the circles I have worked in, the words 'he's a lovely guy' is one of the most damning condemnations of a persons' musical abilities that can be uttered. :)[/quote]

Second to that is 'he doesn't get in the way'. I've heard this uttered as a compliment!