Why become a member? ×

Passive headless bass?

MacDaddy

• 11 months later...

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='92606' date='Nov 22 2007, 11:14 AM']I've been looking for a headless bass that is passive. Can't seem to find one, apart from various custom jobs.
Anyone know of any?

cheers![/quote]

check out the Steinberger xt-2 an inexpensive yet really cool little bass.
tim

[url="http://www.guitarsend.com/spirit4stringbass.htm"]http://www.guitarsend.com/spirit4stringbass.htm[/url]

We got a basschat member, name Ian, username 'chopthebass'. He crafts a line of headless basses called "Sirius" that you can see in his avatar pic, they look gorgeous and you can order a custom passive one for cheap prices, having in mind its a hand made instrument and such.

I agree on the Spirit XZ-25. Great little bass. Don't get a chance to play mine much, but always enjoy it when I do. I just wish I could find some nickel double ball end strings for it... stainless strings don't agree with my fingers.

Edited by ~tl

[quote name='16Again' post='96050' date='Nov 29 2007, 11:31 AM']nobody laughed when i played this bass. i'm in a punk band, the bassist with Guns On The Roof played it for a gig in aberdeen and wanted to buy it.
anyway, why cant you use a headless with a punk band?
[/quote]

That's the coolest Jack I've ever seen. I used to have a natural one; pretty decent bass, although I preferred my Westone Quantum. I think a stickered-up Steinberger would look really cool too.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have a Washburn Status.I got it back in the late '80s
After a long time the electrics packed up.

They are active basses,and a criticism of these basses are that they are 'too bright sounding'
However Mr. Graham Noden in Denmark st.(top bloke),deactivated it
as the pickups are strong enough to work without a battery.
The band love it.

Graham also said that in the'80s alot of manufacturers made active basses as a fad
and fashion.Maybe he's got a point

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='342445' date='Dec 1 2008, 10:11 PM']Well I have a Washburn Status.I got it back in the late '80s
After a long time the electrics packed up.[/quote]

I used to have one of those in White.
Lovley bass. I wish i had kept it now. I think i traded it in at Rock Stop.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='92606' date='Nov 22 2007, 12:14 PM']I've been looking for a headless bass that is passive. Can't seem to find one, apart from various custom jobs.
Anyone know of any?

cheers![/quote]

Loads of the Status S2's had an active/passive switch I believe.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='342465' date='Dec 1 2008, 10:26 PM']I used to have one of those in White.
Lovley bass. I wish i had kept it now. I think i traded it in at Rock Stop.[/quote]

They seem to come up alot on flea bay.(alot cheaper than what Ipaid)
I remember seeing one in salmon pink(it looked good -really!)
I saw a yellow one once and if someone is selling one I would have to have it! :)

[quote name='Wil' post='96062' date='Nov 29 2007, 11:44 AM']I guess a lot of people can't get over quite how uncool Mark King made them look, though![/quote]

Don't be daft, Mark King using high-slung headless basses is about as cool as it gets. Mind you, he also looks as cool as owt with his headed basses. I noticed this year though that he looked like a dwarf when he was playing the Kingbass MK II! I'm not just sure if thats because I first saw him using a headless Kingbass though!

[quote name='Chris2112' post='343939' date='Dec 3 2008, 12:09 PM']Don't be daft, Mark King using high-slung headless basses is about as cool as it gets. Mind you, he also looks as cool as owt with his headed basses. I noticed this year though that he looked like a dwarf when he was playing the Kingbass MK II! I'm not just sure if thats because I first saw him using a headless Kingbass though![/quote]

If you say so :)