Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Basschat's Alex Claber (BAREFACED Cabs) in BASS Guitar Magazine this month

xilddx

He talks like a mad scientist, he stings like a bee! BAREFACED Cabs are licenced and you won't get your tone raped.

It's a brilliant new column, fascinating to read, YET I couldn't give a sh*t about what he's talking about, because I use a POD X3 LIVE into the PA. I get all the sounds I love at the touch of a button and let the GLORIOUSLY BASSY PA take care of the rest. And YET, it's probably the best thing I've read in a music magazine, and I want more! Weird huh?

Sorry, I just got back from a very good gig to find BGM on the coffee table - glass of wine, a rare smoke and a quick read later, I find I'm feeling really rather exuberant :)

Edited by silddx
  • Like 1

[quote name='silddx' post='843729' date='May 21 2010, 12:27 AM']I use a POD X3 LIVE into the PA. I get all the sounds I love at the touch of a button and let the GLORIOUSLY BASSY PA take care of the rest.[/quote]

I take it you get your bass in your monitor then? Any tips on how you manage that? Quick reacharound for the sound guy or something?

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='843749' date='May 21 2010, 12:59 AM']I take it you get your bass in your monitor then? Any tips on how you manage that? Quick reacharound for the sound guy or something?[/quote]
I have the bass in the monitor, and put up with what I have to TBH. Sometimes it's sh*t, sometimes it's better than the FoH, like my Brighton gig with Krupa on Saturday.

Portability is my key requirement because I travel to a lot of my gigs on public transport.

[quote name='davidmpires' post='843879' date='May 21 2010, 09:58 AM']Is it the copy with the bass player for David Bowie?[/quote]
No, it's the one with Florence and the Machine's bassist on the cover. The one with Gail Ann Dorsey is last month's.

[quote name='silddx' post='843759' date='May 21 2010, 01:25 AM']I have the bass in the monitor, and put up with what I have to TBH. Sometimes it's sh*t, sometimes it's better than the FoH, like my Brighton gig with Krupa on Saturday.

Portability is my key requirement because I travel to a lot of my gigs on public transport.[/quote]

I used to get my Laney 100w combo on the bus when I was a kid. I had castors on the bottom of it and I'd meet my guitarist at the bus stop (he had his combo on a skateboard). Easy!

Yeah OK a preamp would've been nicer. I can't stand not being able to hear myself though, it would drive me nuts gigging like you. Plus I'd probably always be pissed by the time I went on stage if I wasn't driving...

[quote name='silddx' post='843874' date='May 21 2010, 09:54 AM']It may not be in the shops yet, David, mine is a subs copy.[/quote]
Mine arrived in post yesterday. Much as I think Alex is a nice guy (I met him at the SE BassBash last summer) I don't understand most of what he says, hence I didn't quite get around to reading his article! Maybe I should steel myself over the weekend with aglass of vino collapso and dive in :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='843981' date='May 21 2010, 11:48 AM']That's not redundancy, if you read both copies at the same time you can get a "combing effect".[/quote]

You'll be okay if you place them one above the other. Make sure that both copies are the right way up, or you'll get phase matching problems.

S.P.

[quote name='silddx' post='843729' date='May 21 2010, 12:27 AM']He talks like a mad scientist, he stings like a bee! BAREFACED Cabs are licenced and you won't get your tone raped.

It's a brilliant new column, fascinating to read, YET I couldn't give a sh*t about what he's talking about, because I use a POD X3 LIVE into the PA. I get all the sounds I love at the touch of a button and let the GLORIOUSLY BASSY PA take care of the rest. And YET, it's probably the best thing I've read in a music magazine, and I want more! Weird huh?

Sorry, I just got back from a very good gig to find BGM on the coffee table - glass of wine, a rare smoke and a quick read later, I find I'm feeling really rather exuberant :)[/quote]

Hey!

I have't read this months BGM with Alex in - but if his column is written with the same interest and technical content that his posts here used to, then I'll defintely checkit out. Does anyone here read Bass Gear Magazine? I LOVE it!! I subscribe to the digital version - thus doing my bit for the environment too!! (Hippy!!)

I'm a total gear geek and I love seeing what makes 'things tick'. Bass Gear Magazine take the lids off to see the quality of manufacture, then tests gear to make sure it stands up to what the manufacturers say it should. Tom Bowlus and his crew are absolutley top notch and it'd be great to see someone like Alex exercise a bit of technical know how in Bass Guitar Mag.

[quote name='silddx' post='844135' date='May 21 2010, 01:44 PM']Nah, I just post any old crap at that time of night.[/quote]
You said it Nige! :)

Edit: to add obligatory emoticon to denote that I'm not really being a total tw@t (cue return quip from silddx: "You said it, Clarky!")

Edited by Clarky